RIP Alan van Heerden

rory21

From Andrew Mclean's Twitter

A very sad day for SA cycling the great if not Greatest SA cyclist, Alan Van Heerden (The Idol) died in a car accident today, RIP.

Hasn't he just come out of hospital? Think they interviewed him on Supercycling for Malcolm Lange's 400

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is incredibly sad news. What a man, the few times I got to speak to him, what a man... So approachable, friendly, helpful and them some. We had a candid conversation once about how he had hit rock bottom and was on his way back. So humble about everything he had done... I'm shocked and deeply saddened. Cry

This is really sad, especially after all he's been through. I raced against The Idol in his heyday ( although he was a good few years older). Can't say he was the perfect role model, but we all aspired to be as good as him. Definately the best we ever had.

RIP

I grew up around the corner from Mirco Ellis in PE.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Always wanted to ride a racing bike, but did not have the opportunity until my early thirties.

Alan van Heerden was the man one always read of....

Never had the opportunity to meet him, but reading that he is not here to fight anymore, is sad...

RIP.

I recall the storties of how he used to ride overseas under assumed names to get around the sports boycott. A legend in his time...RIP.

Alan van Heerden

Date of Birth
11/12/1953

Won the World's Veteran Championship, Austria 1989,1995;

Colours: Springbok Colours 12 times between 1974-89, Springbok Colours

as Manager of Springbok team 1989; won 3 gold medals, 2 silver medals

at World Motor Games, Australia.

Had the privelage to stay over in Alan's house at Hartebeespoort when I was still riding for the Schwinn Team in 2004. Didn't know him well at all, but he certainly had a name in SA Cycling and it's always sad when there is news of an SA Cyclist passing away...  May the Cycling Gods be with his Family.

When I first heard the news this afternoon I was shocked.

I knew Alan personally, and looked up to him. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

RIP

Was my hero back in the olden days!

Bought my very first "racing bike" from him. Was a Benotto!!

Then bought an Alpina from him. He still had a shop in Louis Botha Ave back then.

RIP