Forum Proposal - Virtual Clubhouses

bruce

Guest Michelle

Not sure if you're aware of it Muxman, but the Hub logo is on the TCS kit...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup but my point is cycle lab, club 100, Lifestyle Performnce, Telkom is not...therefore there must be a fee involved in advertising on the site.

MuXmAn , die logo is nou al soos 'n aambei, elke 2de poepol het een, of op sy kit, of op sy bicycle.

Vra Fanie, hulle maak dit selfs in Swellendam... and dis nie 'n joke.

Err yeah.....however' date=' nevermind it being open to all clubs, business pays for advertising here so the same would have to apply to the clubs. Also not sure how many clubs would be privy to divulging info on an open forum.

[/quote']

They can chose to divulge whatever info they like.  It is not advertising, it is an information service for the cyclists that frequent this forum (which seems to be less and less these days).

Secondly why does the club just not get a website where their members could go' date=' probably a lot cheaper than paying here,

[/quote']

Because a web site needs a web master, a hosting service/ISP etc etc.  No problem including a link here anyway.

Thirdly' date=' if my club sends me an e-mail there is not only a one way communication - e-mail has a reply button and if you are in a club that you cannot reply to then best you find a new one.

[/quote']

Email is a one to one or one to many - a forum is many to many - i.e. everybody in the club can see what communication is happening without their email box being filled with thousands of emails they may or may not be interested in.

Fourthly if my e-mail is not working a Phone is available and if you don't know who to speak to at your club or do not have their phone number then best you find a new one.

Telephone is only one to one.  Sure, if the issue to be discussed should only be one to one, then go ahead, use a phone.

I personally would find such a situation quite useful.  When I am on holiday in Natal, or Eastern Cape etc it would be nice to be able to look up what clubs are doing in the local area.  Most clubs don't mind out of town cyclists joining in for the sakes of safety and social interaction!

The logo on your bike is not what makes the SITE money, the CWC, Marvuli / DAD advertising is what makes the site money and if you want to put your name here you pay for it - I can also give you a company sticker for nothing but if you come stay at the Hotel you pay - same thing.

I also do not see any copyright or Patent number on the logo to go one step further.

As I said nice idea but the site will not allow clubs to open up "club houses here" advertising their "product" for free.

Anyways why the hell am I fighting Admins battles for him, gimmie a comm and I'll continue with this otherwise stuff it.

Yup but my point is cycle lab' date=' club 100, Lifestyle Performnce, Telkom is not...therefore there must be a fee involved in advertising on the site.[/quote']

Mux, I understand that ads on the hub is based on the number of users and the number of posts - almost like # of viewers on a television network. This determines the efficiency of the network as a medium to reach your audience.

Are you saying that the fee is to subsidise the fact that you lose a certain amount of traffic if you move in on a per club basis?

Secondly, I know that clubs like Supercycling and Club 100 has their own websites that are used for these purposes. Personally I think Club 100 has a VERY good site. Supercycling uses theirs off the back of the supercycling.co.za website, but they also have a very good newsletter.

Lastly, I know the hub is a phpBB forum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB), which for me means a template or standard recipe type of thing. If you look at slackers.co.za or techies.co.za, you see exactly the same type of template. Doesn't superforum work on the same basis? My point is that getting the virtual clubhouses in place may mean a lot of extra development, not sure how willing admin will be to pay for that......?

You have your own forum - I think you're in the best position to give us an idea of what is possible here?

The logo on your bike is not what makes the SITE money' date=' the CWC, Marvuli / DAD advertising is what makes the site money and if you want to put your name here you pay for it - I can also give you a company sticker for nothing but if you come stay at the Hotel you pay - same thing.

I also do not see any copyright or Patent number on the logo to go one step further.

As I said nice idea but the site will not allow clubs to open up "club houses here" advertising their "product" for free.

Anyways why the hell am I fighting Admins battles for him, gimmie a comm and I'll continue with this otherwise stuff it.
[/quote']

I don't see it as being an issue about money.  Bottom line, the site needs traffic in order to attract advertisers.  At the end of the day, it is the sites responsibility to ensure it attracts the right kind of traffic so that advertisers would be interested.  Providing relevant cycling information is a requirement of the site, because advertisers such as CWC surely don't want to be advertising to a bunch of pseudonym **** stirrers.

I'm sure most clubs would not have a problem making a small contribution as it would certainly help promote the club, and would separate the real clubs from the one-man me-too clubs.

phpBB is a forum index and consists of an administration panel. From this panel you can "administrate" and "moderate" your forum. Rights are assigned to users upgrading them in "status" and so on and so forth. And yes most forums do use phpBB.

To create the "clubs" forum or "sub forums" is not a huge job, pretty much a few clicks and you are there, assuming that this forum uses the same software as mine, I have not checked. In reality I could have a clubs forum up on my site tonight - but that would be unethical on my part.

Administering a forum site or running a forum site for that matter is not a costly affair - however the nature of the Internet as such taking sites such as Google, Yahoo, MSN and many others is to achieve viewership such as that of TV stations, the more viewership you have the higher the price you can demand for advertising. This is a no brainer as the more eyes which see your logo the more hits you get on your site and the more sales or enquiries you receive. This is well demonstrated with the CWC and Marvuli links.

With the membership stats of The Hub they can demand a fee should a company, club or entity want to put their Name here, so why is it or should it be allowed that a Cycle Club such as Lifestyle Performance be allowed to display its name, logo and product offering here for free when a cycle brand such as Raleigh has to pay for it? I am sure this site would pick up endless problems and loss of business from current clients should they allow clubs to appear on this site for free and grant them their own seperate forum. CWC or Marvuli don't even have the privlage of a forum for their stores and they are the anchor clients here.

So no MWNN I am not saying that the fee imposed on Clubs would be due to loss of traffic because if anything it would increase traffic, but a club is a business entity on its own supplying a product or service and therefore in terms of how this site operates with it's other clients who offer exactly the same thing they would need to pay for advertising.

I think that this is a good idea. It was actually on the cards quite some time ago, but there wasn't much interest - Now it seems there may be.

I wouldn't have a problem with this from an advertising perspective. As some have said this would be providing a service to the clubs/their members and would ultimately be beneficial for The Hub.

In terms of the setup it would not be too difficult - simply a matter of adding some forums and categories.

Well here you go guys, the decision man has spoken. Look frward to seeing the new section up tomorrow then?CoolDead

Can I get my own clubhouse? Mud Dee's boom boom room..Big%20smile

All the people on the left WAP BAM BOOGIE all the people on the right BOOGALOO

righteous 80's club move to the beat Muddie you have another member

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_120.gif

And then there were threeeee of us!

I can like to be a dutchman is that three or free????????WinkWinkWink