Tubless popped of the bead

mark ellis

Hi Guys,

Running a tubless setup and the merida and was riding on sunday and crossed a faily large rut,  Tired popped of the bead for a split second and I got a porrige wheel, could this be from running to low a pressure?

I am a heavier rider, around 100kg's, was running 2.7, would it be better to run slightly higher?

What tyres and rims do you have?

tyres are Rocket rons, think the rims are DT Swiss, will have to check though

Hi Guys' date=' Running a tubless setup and the merida and was riding on sunday and crossed a faily large rut,? Tired popped of the bead for a split second and I got a porrige wheel, could this be from running to low a pressure? I am a heavier rider, around 100kg's, was running 2.7, would it be better to run slightly higher?

[/quote']

Yip, commonly know as burping. Either pump the tyres a bit harder, or un-weight the bike more when crossing ruts, bumps etc.

thanks mark' date=' or loose 20kgs!?

[/quote']

smiley4.gif In my case that would mean giving up beer. Which is a thought way too horrible to consider.

2.7 is already very hard. If you go much harder than that you will loose alot of the advantages of tubeless.

Sounds like a burp but at 2.7 bar? Thats high like Mud Dee...

SOme tyre/rim combos just don't fit that well - if the rim is on the minimum diameter tolerance and the tyre on the max then they just won't go well together and the "burp pressure" drops radically.

When you fit the tyre do you need to use tools or does it pop on realy easy? If the answer is "real easy" then perhaps you should consider a different tyre (it's cheaper than a new rim!).

Upping the pressure will help but like someone else said - you lose most of the tubeless benefit...

It probably depends on the rim/tyre combination. I can run 1.5 to 2 bar on Mavic / Crossmark LUST combo, but normally 2.5 rear and 2 front. That's with a little bit more than 100kg on board. Non UST tyres seems to sit a bit looser on the bead?

I would also perhaps check out if you have sealant left.  Often the sealant dries out and then if you break the seal, you get a leak.  

Hey' date=' there are riders out there that's heavier than me Hug I like this topic.[/quote']

I have been carbo-loading for the last ten years!

i run tubeless on 1.8 to 2.0.... never had a problem with burping....

Same with me. I have never had any tyre problems.