The mystery of the damaged down tubes

Jules

Jaaaa. I warned you okes but you don't listen. You ask the wrong questions when choosing bike components. Don't ask "how much does it weigh?" but rather ask "how strong is it?".

Jules, I don't think that little spot is the end of the world. Touch it up with some clear lacquer or nail polish or, cover it with tape and be done with it.

What the hell is helicopter tape? I am sure I need some, soon as I can figure out what it is.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks DD smiley20.gif

PS: don't use the "S-word" around epoh' date=' it's like a red flag to a bull smiley36.gif [/quote']

I thought my day could not get any worse... btw. where do you buy 3M tape, an adult store ?

Surely, if the layers of carbon have only been abraded, rather than cracked, it would be possible to repair it by glueing a carbon 'patch' over the damage?

A while back someone mentioned that Macarbi Racing Shells can do carbon bike frame repairs.

Jaaaa. I warned you okes but you don't listen. You ask the wrong questions when choosing bike components. Don't ask "how much does it weigh?" but rather ask "how strong is it?".

?

Jules' date=' I don't think that little spot is the end of the world. Touch it up with some clear lacquer or nail polish or, cover it with tape and be done with it.

?

What the hell is helicopter tape? I am sure I need some, soon as I can figure out what it is.

?

?
[/quote']

I'll disappoint you by ignoring your first statement smiley2.gif

JB, I may be over-reacting but I'm just not comfortable touching it up. I'm convinced it's weakened the down tube. Perhaps I could bring the frame over for a 2nd opinion when I collect my Electron?

Your bottle?[/Quote]

The thought did occur to me but when I was trying to re-create the damage last night it seemed improbable.

Mud Dee' date=' have you seen bottles do this to carbon frames before? [/quote']

Spesialized cages?  Did it to my frame as well........

Eish, Cleaned my frame last night but did not notice anything, maybe I must go take a closer look...

Ok then, what is blade tape?

Does the question give away the fact that I don't own a helicopter?

Edit: Just noticed Edman's link.
Johan Bornman2010-01-26 03:56:32

Get Tacx Tao bottle cages.  They are light, have a big lip and holds the bottle properly without rattling and you an get them in carbon (or light and good looking alu too!).  Plus hey are made with function and strength in mind Wink

Get Tacx Tao bottle cages.? They are light' date=' have a big lip and holds the bottle properly without rattling and you an get them in carbon (or light and good looking alu too!).? Plus hey are made with function and strength in mind Wink[/quote']

The majority of SA bottle are the so called "Hollard" bottles. They are a bit narrower then decent bottles and they do rattle in the Tao cages.

Your bottle?[/Quote]

The thought did occur to me but when I was trying to re-create the damage last night it seemed improbable.

Mud Dee' date=' have you seen bottles do this to carbon frames before? [/quote']

Spesialized cages?  Did it to my frame as well........

Die cages op my fiets is Specialized.

Thanks Barend. Seems fairly conclusive that it's the bottles.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my damage - and epoh's - is more than just the paint. It looks like at least two layers of carbon have been rubbed away smiley19.gif

Yeah, but your carbon already has two holes that size in that tube: for bottle cages smiley17.gif

This is just a third one...

Thanks Barend. Seems fairly conclusive that it's the bottles.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my damage - and epoh's - is more than just the paint. It looks like at least two layers of carbon have been rubbed away smiley19.gif

Yeah' date=' but your carbon already has two holes that size in that tube: for bottle cages smiley17.gif

This is just a third one...[/quote']

Good point, and the Darwin-award contenders will also note that the bike is slightly lighter now too smiley20.gif

I've noticed similar marks on the underside of the down tube on my mtb, conclusion was that it was caused by the clamp on my bikerack ?

Get Tacx Tao bottle cages.  They are light' date=' have a big lip and holds the bottle properly without rattling and you an get them in carbon (or light and good looking alu too!).  Plus hey are made with function and strength in mind Wink[/quote']

The majority of SA bottle are the so called "Hollard" bottles. They are a bit narrower then decent bottles and they do rattle in the Tao cages.

Embarrassed Oh sorry.  That explains why I can almost only buy Tacx bottles here!