The mystery of the damaged down tubes

Jules

Jaaaa. I warned you okes but you don't listen. You ask the wrong questions when choosing bike components. Don't ask "how much does it weigh?" but rather ask "how strong is it?".

Jules' date=' I don't think that little spot is the end of the world. Touch it up with some clear lacquer or nail polish or, cover it with tape and be done with it.

What the hell is helicopter tape? I am sure I need some, soon as I can figure out what it is.

[/quote']

I'll disappoint you by ignoring your first statement smiley2.gif

JB, I may be over-reacting but I'm just not comfortable touching it up. I'm convinced it's weakened the down tube. Perhaps I could bring the frame over for a 2nd opinion when I collect my Electron?

Admit it Jules, you just looking for an excuse to buy a new Colnago. Wink

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Admit it Jules' date=' you just looking for an excuse to buy a new Colnago.[/quote']

I'm always looking for an excuse to get a new bike, but I've joined a certain orange and blue club now, so it'll have to be a 'Dale smiley2.gif

Besides, my Master Olympic would get jealous if I got another Colnago in the house.

I'm convinced Mud Dee is right: the water and sand etc definitely played a role. It is just too much of a coincidence otherwise.

My guess is there are several more carbon frames that got this kind of damage last weekend smiley18.gif

What I can say is that the Fast One trashed a set of new brake pads in one go on Sunday. When I cleaned the wheels, I found a nice grinding paste of brake compound and mud. If there was any rubbing on the frame the mud would cause major damage (in my opinion).

My cages have a good lip at the bottom so the bottles can't fall out and also a "backbone", preventing any sort of contact between the bottles and frame and I have never seen this sort of damage (Elite carbon cages & Spec MTB plastic ones).

Jaaaa. I warned you okes but you don't listen. You ask the wrong questions when choosing bike components. Don't ask "how much does it weigh?" but rather ask "how strong is it?".

Jules' date=' I don't think that little spot is the end of the world. Touch it up with some clear lacquer or nail polish or, cover it with tape and be done with it.

What the hell is helicopter tape? I am sure I need some, soon as I can figure out what it is.

[/quote']

Helicopter tape is a Poyurethane protcetive tape with an Acrylic adhesive backing. Comes in various thicknesses and its used to protect the lading edge of helicopter blades and truboprop propellorsoperatingin desert conditions.

I use it all over my bikes where there is cable housing rub or shoe rub or any other possibilty of scuffing.

Its the same stuff they custom cut and fit to cars to protect teh paintwork.

Its not cheap at around R350 per metre for 100m wide strip.

Can purcahse from 3M or online from www.justridingalong.co.uk

And that is the reason why I have a small spacer between my cages and frame.

The problem is the lip at the bottom of the bottom cage. It's got nothing to do with a spacer between the cages and the frame...

It does not make any sense how the bottle get past the bottom lip, especially on the Specialized cages.

How exzaggily does the water bottle contact the frame where your circle is?

Owbout a picture with da water bottle da the cage for thos of us with restricted imaginations?

Cry

Hey Jules as promised! Not great pics but you get the idea I am sure ......

20100126_132449_26012010196_sm.jpg

20100126_132524_26012010197_sm.jpg

another bikes pedal whilst on your bike rack?? sure seems mysterious..

No chance! Was on a Thule where you tie both 'inside' cranks to the rack ....

The Damage on the Downtube is caused by the waterbottle slipping through the Cage on the Seat Stay - Guaranteed!!!!!

And those Specialized Waterbottle Cages are the most common culprits

They are nice and stiff initially, but the rubber piece holding them together gives after a couple of weeks in the sun, and allows the bottles to slip past.

I have changed my cages to Elite Cages - Problem solved

How exzaggily does the water bottle contact the frame where your circle is?

Owbout a picture with da water bottle da the cage for thos of us with restricted imaginations?

Cry

Hey Jules as promised! Not great pics but you get the idea I am sure ......

20100126_132449_26012010196_sm.jpg

20100126_132524_26012010197_sm.jpg