disc break pad cleaning

reteid

Last night I decided it is time to clean the pads a bit.Took them out and took some sandpaper to roughen them up a bit.This I have done before and it seems to do the job.This time though I decided to spray them with a product called disc brake cleaner and this morning I have about zero stopping power.What the hell happened and how do I fix this apart from buying new pads.I also sprayed the rotors as the instructions said it will take away grime/oil/buildup etc?Urgent advice will be appreciated before tumbling through majik and hillcrest this afternoon. smiley5.gif

I dont think you are supposed to spray it onto the pads. But anyway. Take your pads out and rub them on some paving until you have removed the top layer.

thanx Mud Dee.It does bug me though that the instructions said it is an alchohol based product and it should be air dried so I thought that it should have evaporated,but then again I also thought the earth was flat.

thanx Mud Dee.It does bug me though that the instructions said it is an alchohol based product and it should be air dried so I thought that it should have evaporated' date='but then again I also thought the earth was flat.

[/quote']

the earth is flat.

The only reason why I now think the earth is flat is bacause I travelled to Kimberley the other day.After going up contermans kloof yesterday I am no longer that sure.

Clean them properly with Methylated spirits and then put them in the oven at 120 deg for 15 minutes or so to dry them out.( I have also used a gas blowtorch to heat them but you have to be very careful not to burn them)

After this rub them on some emery paper or against an abrasive surface eg. a paving brick. to remove any glazing and surface contamination.

Clean and degrease your discs/rotors (also with meths.)You can also run a bit of emery paper over the disks to dull any polished surfaces slightly.

It takes a good few stops to bed them in after that but they should be fine after a 15minute ride or so.

All of the above is of course useless if your brake lines have air in them and your caliper is not properly alligned so check these as well.

I sprayed the cleaner on to only the rim about 3 weeks ago....stopping power is still pathetic although I have not done much about it. Simply used the rides as a means of potentially "cleaning" the rubbish off of them. I will not be using that product again as my V's currently have more stopping power with one finger than my XT's with a full hand!

Retied, chuck the pads and move on dude - personally I don't think you will ever get that stopping power back from them.

Another solvent that can be used on the disks is isopropyl alcohol. Less than a 50 for 500ml at any decent chemist.

New pads dude - don't take the chance with not being able to stop...