calves muscle

dirtcrazy

hi guys,, was just wondering,,, what tipe of training or weight lifting can i do to help improve my calves?? (gym member, so have all the equipment,just not sure which are the best to use)Smile

I will say it before anyone else does.

Ride far

Ride hard

Ride often.

That should do you nicely.

I take it you can not be a chop when you work your calves?

Okay, coat is in the car and I see the door.

I am no expert but here goes.

Seated calf raises will improve the strength and size of the lower part of the calf (soleus).

Standing calf raises target the upper part of the calf (gastrocnemius) where it inserts at the lower end of the hamstring.

Donkey calf raises and calf raises done on a leg-press machine is also a good choice if you are a cyclist, as it mimics the hunched position on the bike.

If you keep your leg straight, then the upper calf receives the most stress, when you bend the leg, even slightly, the soleus will take more of the strain.

Just be careful when you start out with these exercises. The achilles tendon (the one above the heel) can rip if not used to the effort, even if you feel strong, and a painful set of calves can leave you immobile for a few days. Use light weight and minimal reps for the first few sessions, and do not rush through the motion. Eventually work up to 15-20 reps per set. Start out with only one set twice a week and add a set every second week until you are at 3-4 sets.