Advice needed, new MTB

Christie

Yip, she has to actually ride the bike before deciding (even if she really likes the colour).

The more bikes you are able to try (even if it is just in the parking lot) the better.

The bike has to feel right for the rider.

Frame geometry does make a difference to the feel.

Responsive geometry (e.g. the Anthem) gives sharp control on single track, but remember that it also amplifies pilot error.

I always recommend hard tail for someone starting out with MTB.

Better to learn the basic skills on the hard tail rather than relying on a full sus bike to make up for your bad choice of line.

Note that full sus does take a bit of getting used to when upgrading from hard tail.

She's been riding my Giant XTC hardtail for almost a year now. We ride almost the same frame size, so I just fitted a shorter stem & lowered the saddle. She wanted to try out MTBing, and that was the easy way to see if she liked it, because she stopped road riding completely.

The rides are all at a relatively easy pace, 20 to 30km, she does not like any technical parts on a trail, even very easy ones. This makes me think a hardtail would be ideal, but she thinks a full sus will help her ride the technical bits.

I pinged the mrs. with all the suggestions. She looked at the pics I showed her of the different bikes. I like the look of the Ralegh hardtails' date=' especially the carbon ones. What do they sell for?

She preferred the colour of the Giant Trance, silver & blue. (Spinnekop, you were right colour is 80% of the issue) She still wants fill sus, but wants to ride one first before making up her mind.

Perhaps the solution is to buy a Raleigh hardtail, fit a suspension seatpost and have CycleArt spray it silver&blue?
[/quote']

So the Mrs would like a FS and you contemplate buying her a cheap hardtail and masking it with a spray job... a real shame..

Don;t be surprised if she leaves you for someone willing to buy her the Silver and blue bikeLOL

Get her onto a full suss to try it out. It sounds like she wants to ride the more technical stuff...

She's been riding my Giant XTC hardtail for almost a year now. We ride almost the same frame size' date=' so I just fitted a shorter stem & lowered the saddle. She wanted to try out MTBing, and that was the easy way to see if she liked it, because she stopped road riding completely.

The rides are all at a relatively easy pace, 20 to 30km, she does not like any technical parts on a trail, even very easy ones. This makes me think a hardtail would be ideal, but she thinks a full sus will help her ride the technical bits.
[/quote']

OK, so she has done the intro into MTB and wants to continue.

From your description of her riding style I agree that a hard tail will do fine, but nothing wrong with getting a full sus bike for a more comfortable ride (if it fits in the budget).

I am sure you realise that a full sus bike does not give the rider super powers. Wink

Mostly if you can't do a technical section on a hard tail, you won't be able to do it on a full sus either (not talking about huge jumps).

If you can do it on a hard tail, you will be able to do it faster and with more control on a full sus with less impact on your body.

However if a full sus bike will make her think she can do it, then it might just work - mind over matter.

(If you don't mind, it does not matter LOL).

Having recently gone from a hard tail to a full suspension, I disagree that the full sus doesn't give you super powers! I'm kicking some ass with my new bike on the technical sections.

The best is to let her try a full suspension bike and see what she thinks of it.  Once she has decided whether it should be a hardtail of a FS then you can take it a step further and decide which bike. 

From what you said earlier about her riding your frame, it sounds like it is a bit big for her.  You might find that once she has a bike which is the right size and fit for her she will feel a lot more confident doing the more technical stuff. 

Of course in the end it all comes down to how much you want to spend!!!

My wife comes from a cycling family, her father and both brothers cycled. She got me into the sport. Secondly, most of my cycling stuff is high end, except for the Giant XTC which I got to play with in the dirt, so there is no way I can get away cheaply. 

She realy likes this Cannondale Rush Femine 1. I think I must ask One of the TCS team mates who has a Cdale full sus (saw a blue one in the pics of Babbas Lodge...) if she can try it out.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/CUSA/large/7VMW_wht.jpg
Christie2007-06-20 05:30:54

My wife comes from a cycling family' date=' her father and both brothers cycled. She got me into the sport. Secondly, most of my cycling stuff is high end, except for the Giant XTC which I got to play with in the dirt, so there is no way I can get away cheaply. 

She realy likes this Cannondale Rush Femine 1. I think I must ask One of the TCS team mates who has a Cdale full sus (saw a blue one in the pics of Babbas Lodge...) if she can try it out.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/CUSA/large/7VMW_wht.jpg
[/quote']

Hey, it's a Raleigh with half a fork.

Having recently gone from a hard tail to a full suspension' date=' I disagree that the full sus doesn't give you super powers! I'm kicking some ass with my new bike on the technical sections.

[/quote']

Well there you have it then. It will have to be a full sus bike. Woman believe it gives them super powers! Smile

Just make sure you get the right colour because some colours have more power than others...

I have a Santa Cruz Superlight 2005 model for 10K

Full XT components

XT Wheelset

Fox RP3 Rear Shox

Well there you have it then. It will have to be a full sus bike. Woman believe it gives them super powers! Smile

Just make sure you get the right colour because some colours have more power than others...

I know who's gonna get lucky. Wink

Mampara when I looked at it the first time I also thought it was an accident damaged Raleigh RDS .

Looks very nice and bonus points for the single pivot ! Get IT NOW .