Accident on R304 in Stellenbosch

SlowSpoke

I stopped trying to commute traffic is so bad on Otto in afternoon . i have almost been taken out 5 times in 1 day by trucks and cars. I wish the cycle lane was open.

Join us on our MTB's. We will be at the Sunset beach petrol station at 630 tomorrow morning.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch

I stopped trying to commute traffic is so bad on Otto in afternoon . i have almost been taken out 5 times in 1 day by trucks and cars. I wish the cycle lane was open.

Join us on our MTB's. We will be at the Sunset beach petrol station at 630 tomorrow morning.

Im at work already at that time . thx for offer.

Any news on the cyclist?Ouch

What you mentioned is 100 percent spot on. I do that section 3 to 4 times a week and it's hit and miss (no pun intended) whether a truck or a taxi is going to do something really stupid behind you. I always try to ride at (kinda)the same pace as the traffic and signal like a man possessed to try to improve my chances where the lanes split but that is no guarentee. Having said that there are some buffoon cyclists who are going to get taken out there because they think the road belongs to them and them alone. Good luck to the victim of the accident in any case and lets pray for more tolerance and observance from all road users in the run up to this Argus.

I was in Stellenbosch twice last week on bussiness (ok went to stillwater).The traffic is always bad as the road infrastructure is not able to cope with the number of vehicles let alone the number of bad drivers.My problem is with the group of cyclists that came from ct side towards stellenbosch.At he first robot just past the traffic camera 2-3 cyclists decided to ride over the red robot where everyone was standing.I saw them coming from behind and moved over more to the right hand side of the road so that there is more space to pass on the left away from the curb.They just slowed down and went over the robot.I felt bad as a fellow cyclist and could see the oke in the car in front of me gestulating.After waiting for the robot I passed the same cyclists again now riding 2-3 abreast and then came to the robot where you turn right to the strand.I was patiently waiting for the robot which was red again when the same cyclists came from behind.The one guy had his helmet in his hands busy adjusting it while cycling without hands.As he came near the robot he had a look and decided with his friend to go over the red robot and turn right into the road going to strand.This was done with the helmet in one hand and the other hand on the handlebar.Near crash as motorists had to evade "man with deathwish".From the looks of his bike and legs I am sure he was no weekend rider.I still feel for the oke /gal is involved in the accident , but we as cyclist have to take responsibility.

How do WE take responsibilty? I drive the speed limit. On a bicycle i never go through red lights, I do stop at stop streets and always put safety of myself and motorists first. (they also understandably shutdown while driving so i can forgive them for getting close to the yellow line) I have seen a sponsored team in pink along otto du plessis jumping robots and then going down the middle between cars and on the left all at the same time. How can every driver at the end of a miserable work day not be furious with them? I greet, make eye contact, smile if i can at all motorists. I am making a difference so no, i wont take responsibilty for cyclists with god like complexes. The police should be letting cyclists know what the law is by distributing it via clubs/bike shops/legible websites.

Once again this is where sPit sPit A is meant to use Arguis as a vessel, but have found it more profitable to just stay mum on everything.

Nobody2010-02-10 02:04:42

The other day I had an eye opener...

I ussually get so upset with motorist when they drive so close to the curb that I cannot get past, but the other day I saw something that gave me a different perspective about this. I was sitting in peak hour traffic waiting at a bussy intersection for the robot to change when a motocyclist came down the middle of two lanes waving and shouting at the lady driver which according to him had moved to far over towards the right hand side of her lane- he had to virtually stop and manouver his way around her. Then I thought now what would I as a motorist do if a cyclist is saying I must move more to the right of the lane so that he can pass and the motorcyclist wants me to move more to the left hand side of the lane so that he can pass- totally confussing isn't it.

That could be very confusing yes. I bought myself a motorcycle about a month ago to ride to work and I personally don't expect anyone to move over for me to pass between the lanes, because the motorist have the right of way and I'm the one that is not riding in the lane. As a cyclist I always obey the traffic light and stop signs because I am the one that is vulnerable. Motorist has no obligation to move over for cyclist or motorcyclist, they do it out of kindness and I always thank them for it. I think this is the only way motorist and cyclist would get along, and not by waving and shouting.

I haven't heard anything on the news about the accident from yesterday, so hopefully the person was not injured that bad.

Nobody - I think the post you responded was not aimed at us taking responsibility for all other cyclists. He was actually saying that more people should ride like you do, doing the responsible thing and take responsibility for their own actions.

That somebody cannot go around like the idiot he's describing and then cry "motorists are maniacs" if a car comes over a green robot and spot him riding over the red robot, crossing lanes, helmet off, too late.

That's the way I read it, anyways.

Also heard nothing about the accident yet, hope all is well.

I got an sms yesterday abouts someone who had gone into a drain and then been hit from behind by truck. Lost his leg and was critical....wonder if it is the same person. Not sure of who the person is but wonder if it might be related?

I think it might be the same guy, the one that I saw looked like he lost his left leg.

I've put my road bike on its stand yesterday and took my mtb off, I'm to scared to go on the road after seeing that accident.

SeeBea thanx that is how it was to be interpreted.Responsibility starts with the individual.I believe in meritocracy being that to have rights and to enforce those rights you also have to have the other side of the coin being the obligations.One cannot just demand all the rights and none of the obligations.The obligations are such as wearing helmet,obeying traffic laws etc.I realy hope that myself and my fellow cyclists will embrace the obligations and then reap the rewards.Safe cycling.

It is dramatic to see such an accident but to hang up your road bike for mountain bike to be hit by a pipe over your head again

no where you are safe so enjoy your road and mtb while you can and don't let bad things put you off riding

There are so many cyclist and the number of deaths are little in comparison smiley1.gif

I've just finished a ride on the R304 and made it through the infamous Khayamandi intersection...all good for a nice spin in the country...or so I thought. Some numbnut driving a blue Jetta towing what looked like wooden doors on a trailer comes past straddling the yellow line (in which I am riding). Only problem is one of the wooden objects has turned 90 degrees so is considerably wider than when he loaded them and is way too low behind the car for the driver to notice. Lets just say that I am grateful that my foot is still attached to my leg even though my white Assos bibs are going to need more than a light rinse this afternoon. Will probably be out on the same road tomorrow or in the next couple of days so lets hope that it's had its share of drama for now.