Cadence

Chubba

Hi

Could some explain to me how to analyse cadence data. I understand this is pedal power.

My sensor gives me a range of feedback but how do I make this information useful to my training?

Thanks.

C.

All I know is that cadance is the amount of revolutions you do per minute RPM of a car, not the fisical power output. It works like this, the harder you paddle on gear 10 lets say 60 RPM, you will be able to have an easier physical output on your legs if you choose one or two gears up but of course your cadance "RPM" will increase (90 revolutions per minute) to maintain the same speed. It depends an each person and what they are comfortable with. If you like spinning faster and not put so much power in your strokes, thats fine , but if your legs can handle the 11 tooth gear and force your legs to do the hard work, thats also fine. To use a meter that will manage your training compared to your effort you will need a "wattage" power meter that will determine your power output, and this will give you an indication of how much you have left in your tanks after a hard effort. Tachymeter2010-02-15 05:38:33

high cadence = low peak power

low cadence= high peak power

No. Peak power is pretty much unaffected by cadence.

high cadence = low peak force

low cadence= high peak force

Edman2010-02-12 04:07:07

Thats what we said it depends on how you like it fast and easy (cadence) or slow and hard(cadance). It all depends on how you like it!Thumbs%20Up

Some say that a cadence of 70 - 100 per minute is the best.

Over 100, you are like a windmill and overspinning and you fatique quicker.

Less than 70, you fatique quick quicker too.

So, aim to spin within that range as best you can.

All I know is that cadance is the amount of resolutions you do per minute RPM of a car' date=' not the fisical power output. It works like this, the harder you paddle on gear 10 lets say 60 RPM, you will be able to have an easier physical output on your legs if you choose one or two gears up but of course your cadance "RPM" will increase (90 revolutions per minute) to maintain the same speed. It depends an each person and what they are comfortable with. If you like spinning faster and not put so much power in your strokes, thats fine , but if your legs can handle the 11 tooth gear and force your legs to do the hard work, thats also fine. To use a meter that will manage your training compared to your effort you will need a "wattage" power meter that will determine your power output, and this will give you an indication of how much you have left in your tanks after a hard effort.[/quote']

I only do 1 resolution a year, and i normally break it.  Does that count?

Just playing.

From what i know, the optimum cadence is 90 Revolutions per minute.

But thats based on Bicycling mag article i read a few months back.

There is more BS written about cadence than just about any other topic in cycling. Here's my contribution. :)

Disregard the articles you read. Ignore people who tell you that you should be spinning faster/slower. Different folks really do need different strokes. Identify what cadence works for you, then use a computer with cadence to try and stick close to that cadence.

I think this is like marriage and those self-help books on the same subject.

It is a good thing to have all the different opinions at hand, but what works for me might not work for you.

My cadence averages out at 85. Am I a great cyclist? Hell no! Is Lance at and average of 90?

*hat, coat, exits stage left*

Find what rhythm works for you. It make be at a higher cadence or lower cadence. Get on your bike and ride. Don't look at the cadence you do. Ride for comfort and look at the cadence afterwards.