WAshing you MTB

infernox

ok one question, when washing it, what do i do with the trip computer? can its cradle get wet?

SLOWPOKE: ill post a pic soon as a got a camera in my hands. Cellphone pics just dont do it for me.

Ok so im gonna get some dry lube this weekend....

and wash my bokkie AKA Needdonder II

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

infernox, the computer can stay on or off. remember that these things can handle getting caught in a downpour, swimming (when the rider can't do a river crossing), etc, etc.

i once even washed my mtb in the shower (we were both sooooo muddy and i was cold so i didn't want to waste time rinsing "my boy" off outside first so he went staight into the shower - hot water!)

sounds hot and steamy, not a picture i wanted in my mind.

cool, then she shall be washed this weekend.

freaked out the yorkshiremen a coupla years ago after a very muddy ride through clumber park. on the way home i stopped at the petrol station to use the wishy-washy on my bike, then thought "what the hell"and turned the power hose on myself. it was about 2 degrees!!!  

Another thought. I was given a set of Park Tools cleaning brushes for my birthday and they are brilliant for cleaning your bike, especially a dual suspension with tricky places to get clean.

The brush sets made by various companies is a must must. There is a big one with fluffy brstle tips, a round one with stiff bristles and a curved one shaped very much like a toilet bowl celaner. They work amazing. As mampara said car shampoo to wash the bike. clean the chain beforehand with a clamshell type of cleaner. Many companies make the. I use the BBB one after trying two  this one works well. I use Sunlight Liquid to wsh the chain, no need to split the chain even if you use SRAM. I spray the frame with mr Min Neutral (a MTB is not supposed to smell like flowers or cherries) Wipe with a soft cloth. Gunks does not stick to the frame so much during the next clean and your bike looks spiffy. Keep all oil and lubricant away from all braking surfaces. No need to say why!!!!!!

I cannot remember. They are made by Park, Pedros, BBB and many other. I have the Finish Line set. Go and look at this link.... http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/240-2771 Do not pay for the name or useless bottles of shampoo. Look at what ther have, go to the Supermarket and get the closest brush they have as a substitute. For many years I washed my bikes with muttoncloth, a old sponge, a long necked dishwashing brush and a small paintbrush. My bikes were just as clean as now but the brush set just makes it easier and more efficient. Also look at car spares outlets, I think I saw the same sets cheaper there.

I seldom wash my bike. Washing it just gets water and dirt into places you really don't need it.

I just let it dry and brush the dirt off.

For multi day events where ou bike is being serviced regularly, washing is ok, but for weekend use it's not such a hot idea.

Water gets down into the fork stanchions, into the frame and settles in the BB area.

Dirt gets flsuhed in bearingd and bushings in all parts.

My first bike went a whole year without cleaning and never broke!  I didn't know what lube was in those days.  The poor poor thing, what I put her through.  I'm hoping she has a happy home now where she is cared for.

My new baby gets washed with sunlight soap after every ride.  Keeps the gears / brakes etc working perfectly.

bwahahahahha hr' date=' classic... now why didn't you take pics?[/quote']

my hands were too cold to open the zip on my backpackLOLi took pictures - including some muddy self portraits - earlier in the ride. this was well over a decade ago, so i don't have anything digital. will rummage through the albums this weekend. 

then it settled, she will be washed, as soon as i buy some cleaning stuff, brushes and lube (dry) and more lube for my personal life.........