Boyes drive

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But then again a sub 3 Argus has thus far evade me............. Hope to do one this year though. Would've got it last year if the Capies didn't decide to test their wind machine!

Well by the look of things you will at least be doing a 50km plus at the straight at cape point. Last year when I got to the top of cape point the wind took me to 50km without me peddling.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The thing here in Boyes Draai is that you are head-first into the South Easter, and if you by your lonesome it can a real struggle, even on a mtb with granny gear. Then you get blown to pieces all the way to Smits Winkel, and a bit of sand blasting along the way to vishoeked ?and simonsdorp. But then its a tail wind ....

I am really hoping it will be milder than last year, been there, done that!?

Here is a map and profile of Boyes Drive. You get to it at 22km and get back to the old route at 30km. You climb a total of about 100m over a distance of 5km.

20100302_123242_Boyes_Drive.jpg

Do you think that the pace in the argus is going to be ridiculous compared to other races over boyes drive because i've found all the races i've done that go over that route, the bunch really takes it easy and doesn't go that hard. i mean maybe thats just to save energy for later on in the race.

Last year I rode in group OG so I had no one to work with and ended up going past most people. This year starting in E so its a completely different ball game.

How would people that did sunday's race say the pace compares to what they've done in previous Argus's. Is it a lot harder due to the fact that its such a big event and most people train for it?

What would the advice be, to go hard from the start or to try and save energy for the last 30km. I'm very comfortable with the distance.

Guest Frail4Life

Do you think that the pace in the argus is going to be ridiculous compared to other races over boyes drive because i've found all the races i've done that go over that route' date=' the bunch really takes it easy and doesn't go that hard. i mean maybe thats just to save energy for later on in the race.

Last year I rode in group OG so I had no one to work with and ended up going past most people. This year starting in E so its a completely different ball game.

How would people that did sunday's race say the pace compares to what they've done in previous Argus's. Is it a lot harder due to the fact that its such a big event and most people train for it?

What would the advice be, to go hard from the start or to try and save energy for the last 30km. I'm very comfortable with the distance.[/quote']

By that point most people will be going moderate, average, not too fast. Specially for "E" and down. Should be able to hang onto the Bunch.

In a strong South Easter Boyes Drive is my preferred route to the main road as it is sheltered from it in many places - I live at the Kalk Bay end.

The first section up and around the bend is steeper than it looks - about 9% apparently. Then it flattens out for 1.5k's, kicks up again a little bit followed by a steep descent into the dip, then up again for the main climb to the summit, which is not particularly long. This is steep at the bottom, then about 5-6% and the gradient becomes more gradual just before you reach the shark spotters near the top.

The worst part for bunches is undoubtedly the descent. Whenever I do this route in a race I always try get to the front of the bunch by this point.

As you go down into Kalk Bay with the retaining wall on the right, the road is narrow with what looks like an oil patch in the middle from cars queueing to get into Kalk Bay. You cannot see past the first part of the S bend and the gradient is steep.

Once you are safely through this S bend section there is a short straight of around 75-100m and the gradient increases into a sharp off-camber left hander - in my opinion this is probably the most dangerous part of the Argus - brake before this corner and do not take it wide or you will be wearing a face full of hay.

The road then takes you down to the Main Road where you must turn right past the harbour towards Fish Hoek.

lukehardiman2010-03-02 23:15:21

Yeah, Luke, great post.

As cool and detailed as a rally car navigator!

smiley14.gif

Boyes drive is not as bad as some people make out. Start is fairly easy, although the crest of this climb is quite tough, then it's big blade over the next two rollers and down into the long dip. The first part of the climb is quite tough, but a good starting speed will get you past the worst part. The gradient gradually drops, but don't be fooled by the blind rise - it carries on for longer than you think! After that it's big blade all the way.

Try to get to the front on the long descent as the s bend is deceptively sharp. I think it was a nuetral zone last year.

The turn into Kalk bay is well set up, althogh this was also a neutral zone last year.

I reckon its a good place to drop some of the wheel-suckers if there are aqny in your group. You can go hard because it's a while before the next climb. Unless the wind is up again in which case it will be cr*p all the way till Smits!!

all roads in cape town in the summer are either into the south easter or with the south easter.  unless the south easter is pumping. like last year. then all roads in cape town are f**ked. and all cyclists will cry.  I will be one of them.

I agree, Boys drive is not that difficult.

What makes it difficult is the hills before.

If you drop off the bunch on the UCT Hills and the big hill at Wynberg, than you have to go full flight down Blue Route.

Its actually that Blue Route effort that determine your climb up Boys Drive.

Niklas, you asked how was last Sundays Boys drive (G Group) compared to the E Argus group? Similar if you asked me.

Guys will just finish a very fast Blue Route effort, they know they cannot go to fast as Smitswinkel and the first Chapmans peak will take it toll and the worker till here will be in trouble. Suikerbossie dont play a role, everyman for himself up there.

Remember, The argus groups are 500+, dont go out and be a Rambo, (unless you wanne work), go with the group over Smits and keep in the group at least till you get to the first Toll gates at Chappies,

Som,e guys goes super fast downhill, nothing you can do if they ride away on the downhill, if you over cook there, you walk home or get a lift in the ambulance.

Your main aim should be to be in the bunch untill Chapmans peak top.

By than, the first 20 F Group guys will come from behind and drag you home.