Mervin Dinkleman not good, who gives good service?

Purnjap

I Moved to <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cape Town a year and a half ago from Centurion. I used Mervyn Dinkelman and no one else. I am shocked to hear this. In December I paid them a visit and could see that the shop was a little under stocked compared to how I knew it before. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The best part of Merv, his Dad and Jaques Oberholzer(obie) is that they always gave  me honest advice and my bike was fixed right every time. Their goal was to give advice not to sell you the most expensive products. At the end of the day I supported them 100% and did not care if his gloves were slightly more than Grants etc. Many of the items were well priced so what you loose on the down you make on the up.

They always knew me knew my bike and gave me all sorts of tips that made a difference in my cycling.

I am sorry that I have not found the same caliber of bike shop in Cape Town. I am sorry too if it's true about their service. I have lots of good memories from group rides that they organised.

They got me in to enjoying cycling.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thnks, the bike is now fixed (will see during Babbas if its a lasting result). Just a few things on above replies:

* I wish I was the kinda guy who enjoyed/ preferred/ was mechanically minded enough to do these things myself but I much prefer a shop where I can drop it and pick it up KNOWING they did what they are charging me for

* I have always been treated nicely by Mervin's people, and almost feel bad about having had to moan about them but I doubt I will go back there, they definitely have staff skill problems or lack of quality control - no-one should have to take a bike back three times

* if Trek put better switchgear on their 3 series, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place Smile

I also had a shop where I had to keep taking my bike back after the service and I just stopped using them. It becomes an Inconvenience to keep riding up and down.

Purnjap, I am not mechanically inclined (just ask my wife), but try a mtb maintenance book such as Lennard Zinn's 'Zinn and the art of mtb maintenance'. You will be surprised how easy it is to keep your mtb in tip top shape. He explaines the gnarly stuff in plain language, and with a lot of authority gained from experience. And you only need to buy the tools needed for your bike, thanks JB for your help there. Also gives you confidence on the trail to fix those unexpected troubles.

Thnks' date=' the bike is now fixed (will see during Babbas if its a lasting result). Just a few things on above replies:

* I wish I was the kinda guy who enjoyed/ preferred/ was mechanically minded enough to do these things myself but I much prefer a shop where I can drop it and pick it up KNOWING they did what they are charging me for

* I have always been treated nicely by Mervin's people, and almost bad about having had to moan about them but I doubt I will go back there, they definitely have staff skill problems or lack of quality control - no-one should have to take a bike back three times

* if Trek put better switchgear on their 3 series, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place Smile
[/quote']

I dont believe there is one cycle shop with 100% customer satisfaction, errors are bound to happen, its the steps they take to rectify the error that will make me return.

• 2 months later...

I heard today that Mervyn Dinkelman Cycles have closed their doors.

It seems the economic recession caught up with them.  It is sad to see a once blooming business close down.

With OB gone over to Grant Cycles I suppose that will now be our biking shop of choice.

Damm......... I thought that was going to happen, the last couple of times I went there the racks was getting emptier and emptier........ looked lke a SPAR in ZIM.

Feel sorry for Merv....... but think he can place about 50% blame on his X-staff.

Cycle lab might be expensive but they give a great service! You pay but you get quality.

Then they should only charge more for good service and not everything else in the shop!

smiley19.gif will try our best to keep up the good service, Grant Cycles is team not one person, we always open for advice from our clients feel free to e-mail us if they is any problems.

whats is incredible is the different experiences people get at different shops.

Not wanting to bash any shops here but I brought a fairly top end bike from Cycle Lab and had the most shocking service from them after that I have never been back, yet a mate of mine will not use any other shop but them.

I then started using Fritz P and have had good service by nice guys, yet another guy in our bunch has had the complete opposite experience.

Guess it is just who you gel with

Take it back and ask to talk to Mervin or his father and explain your complaint. They actually do deliver quality work. In Centurion area I do not think there is anyone better than Merv. There is Cyclelab' date=' Fritz, Grant, Centurion Cycles.[/quote']

There is Epic cycles in dongkloof mall, and cajees at the centre behind makro. Can there REALLY be enough cyclists in centurion for all these bike shops?

There are too many shops and the staff turnover is too high. I have made use of most of them but could never really build up a relationship cause the guy that helped me last time has moved on. Cant really blame the guys, the cash just ain`t good enough to make a living on so they get in student or young guys that move on a few months later.

Start working on your own bike - it`s really not that complicated, other than the shock, plus you will be able to spot problems before they happen.

dit is weer tyd dat my MTB en padfiets moet gan vir n diens.

ek is nie seker waarna toe om hul te neem nie. want ek het al swak en goeie diens by mervin en cycle lab gekry.

dalk moet ek grant cycles of fritz p probeer? dan gee ek n vol verslag van results ( of wat se julle van grant cycles?)

The guy that I would recomend was a bike mech for 15 years - even world abroad for a semi-pro team in Europe. He had to change occupation to make ends meet, still does stuff part time our of his garage, which looks better than most shops. Pm me for his detail if you like.

This is my personal opinion and recommendation. I`m not saying stop using the bike shops. Use whoever you trust. Hopefully your LBS takes care of you.