Cyclist dies in hit-and-run

SkyDancer

Tragic' date=' and its not like this road is narrow, its dual lane with wide yellow line. Hope they catch whoever was responsible. [/quote']

From the reports it sounded as though it happened where the two lanes merge from the left near MacDonalds. There is a lot of traffic switching lanes there. I used to cycle there most days but avoided it if was likely to have lots of traffic, as it scared me. The other thing about this is that it was a hit and run, what kind of animal would leave someone they've injured like that. Sick.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Extreme low life kind to leave him there, no telling how long he lay there and could maybe have been helped earlier.

i also hope they catch the idiot . my group came past the accident site about 6 30 latest and the cops where there trying to piece together what had happened very sad news Cry 

Our group passed the accident at about 6h30.

It was terrible, it is sickening to think that one human being can run another down and then just ride off and leave the guy like that!!

I hope the full weight of the law is brought to bear and that this person is brought to justice!

My condolences to his wife and family, RIP.

Just read this on new24. My condolences.

<CYNICISM>

I note the report says cyclists should ride in a group. If this poor guy was in a group' date=' I wonder how many would have been killed then?

</CYNICISM>

[/quote']

Exactly! This really gets my blood boiling! We do our utmost to be safe but how safe can you be when you're struck from behind? Same thing happened to two of our executives at my company in Mossel Bay a few months ago.

My condolences to his family and friends

The A hole who struck him down will probably only get 2 years because he was drunk or stoned. Probably getting the drugs out of his system before he hands himself in. A story we have heard too often before. RIP and condolences to the family.  

This is getting close to home. I see that metro say that we must ride in groups?

Ja!! So this way they can take us out in groups??Angry

In a country that quietly accepts 5 to 10 people getting killed in taxis every day. A 100 or so getting murdered. Another couple of 100 being raped, do they care about the life of a cyclist?

This is not a "lawless" country - we have thousands of laws. Do you know that if I get bust smoking in the wrong place I am in more k@k than if i ride over a cyclist? These okes are good at making laws and too bloody lazy to enforce the ones that matter!

Do you ever see cops out at 05:00? Never. Who gets to the accident scene long after the tow trucks and paramedics?

It really makes me sad. Metro says that we must ride "in a safe place" - where is that safe place? In Botswana I suspect.

And we can see by the response to Sign up's awareness ride yesterday how much cyclists are prepared to actually do (yip you gotta get off your arse and go and do something), a quote from Ray the guy doing the national ride:-

'actions speak louder than words guys'

And once again our "Big Brother" CSA does nothing about it.  They don?t seem is understand that "FAMILIES ARE DISTROYED".  All they say is "Sorry".  I personally am tired of hearing this word.  <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To everyone reading this trend, please ensure that your will and life policies are up todate, cause when you cleat in, it is each man for himself.

To a large degree i personally blame CSA, for not raising any cycling awareness to the South African public.  I am sorry by I have very little faith in our big brother. 

To the families out there that lost their loved ones, my condolences to you and your family.

And we can see by the response to Sign up's awareness ride yesterday how much cyclists are prepared to actually do (yip you gotta get off your arse and go and do something)' date=' a quote from Ray the guy doing the national ride:-

'actions speak louder than words guys'
[/quote']

That was a dismal turn out, especially for the number that confirmed their attendance.

Actually it wasn't dismal, it was downright embarrasing, but watch now the responses dismissing it.

I note that this thread has made it onto News24. Well done to the person who arranged that.

Easy guys...Sign Up is still a new organisationand awareness of them and their activities is low. 

I joined their FB page and was not aware of this initiative until I read this thread. 

I also e-mailed Shaun @ Sign Up 10 days ago asking to purchase the bumper sticker and for more info on the org, and am still waiting on a reply. 

The point is that this will take time to gain the necessary momentum - doesn't mean we're not interested. 

Let's stay united as a body of cyclists in dealing with this scourge. 

i mean really.. enough is enough. cars and more importantly the drivers can't just keep on ploughing into cyclits! we are not cattle on the side of the road or light posts for that matter. in fact i think there might be stats to indicate that more cyclists have been hit than light posts this year. it is completly unforgivable and down to negliagence and probably driving under the influence. this has to stop. imagine you are out on your morning cruise, thinking happy thoughts and next thing you get a smack from behinh/side or front that kills u!!

there is unfortunately no recourse as most drivers would just drive off.. unless there are witnesses.

condolences go out to his family.. sad :(