Cyclist dies in hit-and-run

SkyDancer

Really Cycling SA needs to wake up and join forces with think bike to stop these type of things!!!

maybe us cyclists need to wake up as well ... when we're in our cars - being more courteous to other drivers, not adding to the aggression out there - get up 5 minutes earlier in the mornings, so that i have a few minutes to spare to give someone else a chance ... it's my bit.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After loosing a motorcycling friend yesterday in Adderley street (hit by a taxi) I can't help but agree with Nicci. I'm sorry to be negative, but I do think we are fighting a loosing battle. Please prove me wrong.

Having said that, can I just ask why don't SignUp and ThinkBike work together? Why must there be two organisations fighting for the same cause?

Think Bike wishes to again express our horror at this senseless loss of life and hope that the family can find peace.

The CSA has eventually associated itself to THINK BIKE' date=' almost three years AFTER THINK BIKE added the cyclist to their bumpersticker, AND provided marshalls at a discount to road races.  There is still not a SAFETY officer on the CSA committee.  CSA also has done NOTHING for cycle commuters, but rather focused on competitive cycling only.

We have no cyclists on our committee either, go figure, we give up offering

[/quote']

That should read cyclist body i.e. CSA and the relevant provincial body, no cyclist or club can claim to speak on behalf of all cyclists. From what i can see our elected cycling bodies do very little other than expressing shock when incidents occur eg problems with cyclist behaviour in Suikerbosrand, individuals stepped in, problems with cradle resident's, individuals stepped in, erecting of road signs and general awareness for cyclists safety Shaun Hannie (Sign up) stepped in. A while back there was an awareness ride in the south of Jhb, again this was organised  by individuals.

After loosing a motorcycling friend yesterday in Adderley street (hit by a taxi) I can't help but agree with Nicci. I'm sorry to be negative' date=' but I do think we are fighting a loosing battle. Please prove me wrong.

Having said that, can I just ask why don't SignUp and ThinkBike work together? Why must there be two organisations fighting for the same cause?
[/quote']

THey do work together.  Their focuses and methods are very different.  Don't think there is not communication between these bodies.  Shaun is working for signs for cyclists, THINKBIKE agenda is different regarding target group and method. 

The more approaches (thus bodies involved) the better.  I am against only ONE super awareness body as it depersonalises the issues at hand.  It is better for each person to do what he can, when he can and how he can, than for one organisation to be created that removes the collective responsibility from each individual.

Not to sure if this has been posted.. but' date=' look at this guys comments.. in afrikaans though..

[/quote']

Beeld is soos die Huisgenoot deesdae. Sensasie, sensasie. Ek weet nie hoe publiseer hulle sulke tipe lesers se snert nie. Dieselfde het gebeur toe die fietsryers in Oudtshoorn doodgery is. Dis amper haatspraak en aanhitsing. Praat van hoe hulle fietsryers gaan omry, in die hospitaal sit ens.

My condolences to his family and friends.

I know Spinning doesn't match the road, but.... it is safe.

As a Spinning Instructor in Kempton Park Virgin, I will sit with Management and see if possible to arrange longer Spinning sessions over the weekends, thus a challenge to all who do Spinning and speak to their Fitness Managers at their Gyms and see what the possibilities are for longer rides over the weekends.

Easy guys...Sign Up is still a new organisationand awareness of them and their activities is low.? I joined their FB page and was not aware of this initiative until I read this thread.? I also e-mailed Shaun @ Sign Up 10 days ago asking to purchase the bumper sticker and for more info on the org' date=' and am still waiting on a reply.? The point is that this will take time to gain the necessary momentum - doesn't mean we're not interested.? Let's stay united as a body of cyclists in dealing with this scourge.? [/quote']

----- Original Message -----

To: <rienzo@colpo.co.za>

Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:01 AM

Subject: Re: Bumper stickers

> Hi Rienzo

> Thank You for your mail.

>

> Donations van be made to:

>

> Sign-Up Cyclists Safety Initiative

>

> FNB The Glen

>

> Branch Code : 259605

>

> Account Number: 62259762203

>

> I thank you in advance for your donation.

>

> Regards & Be Safe!!

>

> Shaun

Last nignt on SC they interviewed the new CEO of CSA, i was expecting some comment on safety of cyclists but zippo.  

My condolences to his family and friends.

I know Spinning doesn't match the road' date=' but.... it is safe.

As a Spinning Instructor in Kempton Park Virgin, I will sit with Management and see if possible to arrange longer Spinning sessions over the weekends, thus a challenge to all who do Spinning and speak to their Fitness Managers at their Gyms and see what the possibilities are for longer rides over the weekends.
[/quote']

Hobbler, I would appreciate your effort. Also, how about increased ventilation and cooling in the spinning areas. The aircons and fans against the walls is not sufficient. Spinning at high intensity does not increase ventilation (as opposed to cycling outside), resulting in the body being programmed to sweat more during high intensity effort, even when outside.

Just on THINK BIKE - fantastic! I can't say enough about what a great job the guys do. Although I live in the East' date=' I drive all the way out to 4ways on Saturday mornings to be able to ride with CycleLab because of their structures and relationship with Think Bike. CycleLab have had their fair share of problems because of some riders still not obeying basic rules, but the fact that they have Think Bike guys, and Marshals on their training rides makes a huge difference - WELL DONE guys![/quote']

Not adverse to doing this in other area's either, but Club 100 and Cyclelab have worked hard on the relationship.

Agreed getting back to the point, we bleed when you bleed, we know how devastating it is when a family member is lost. It is just so senseless and needless.

We need to band together and do this
http://ukfrancebikers.com/2010/03/19/british-motorcyclists-gridlock-london/

Yip, being a thinkbike Marshall and newby cyclist we have tried to meet with some of the East Rand Cycle Clubs to put something together for the East Rand Cyclist. We had no joy, meetings gets postponed and then never materialize.

I live in Kempton Park, so does alot of the Thinkbike Marshalls, i would rather help out in my own suburb than ride all the way out to Fourways...

So, anyone want to put something together on the East Rand Side with Thinkbike, PM me...we are more than willing to help, try us, you will not be dissapointed..

(sorry for the bad english, I are a boer you know...LOL)

Last nignt on SC they interviewed the new CEO of CSA' date=' i was expecting some comment on safety of cyclists but zippo.  

[/quote']

Ja, I was also waiting for something. He used the word 'business' a lot... maybe CSA is just business.  He said their funds are from, among others, license fees. Should this 'business' not start looking after the people keeping those coffers topped up? 

PPA have millions of YOUR money sitting idle in their bank account. It really is time that some of this money was aimed at safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree it is time for CSA and PPA to look after the people that keep the koffers topped. After all if the roads are not safe to train on there would be no need for them to hold races, thus no funds.

Getting back to awareness i have chatted to Head Marshal from Think Bike regarding their next rally (date to be posted) and he indicated that they would welcome as many cyclists as possible to participate. I therefore would like to appeal to all you guys/ladies out there to look out for the date and to please try and make a concerted effort to be at the designated points. The more numbers out there the more the awareness. Actions speak louder than words come on lets make this work for all concerned.

Just something for tose cyclists out there that jump stop signs and robots. The child sittig in the passenger seat could very well be yours. "If he can do it, so can I". My point here is, that your actions out there are possibly being watched by some innocent child who will at some stage do exactly what you had done and sadly could become yet another stat on S A roads. Lets think about our actions out there guys. We are also resposible for our attitudes. As the saying goes two wrongs dont make a right.

Sadly another innocent family man lost by some one who has no regard for human life.

Our condolences to his family.