Bayers Naude Incedent

ziegie

Slowpoke - you seem quite the perfect specimen (holier than thou). I will reiterate' date=' we all make mistakes with varying consequences, count yourself lucky all your indiscretions have been minor and had no effect on anyone else. (I am judging by your replies you have only had minor indiscretions) 

She made a mistake in judgement by coming back into the lane, will she do it again I doubt it! she will be more cautious I am sure.

[/quote']

Easy Tiger...you don't know her or anything about her, so don't get personal!

Just so that you know...she rides exactly like she talks...by the book!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DustSupp, hopefully yes, she will be more cautious in future. my point is that had she not been reprimanded (and again i reitterate it was excessive) she would have continued to do this. she also does not appear to feel any remorse and that disturbs me greatly - that she seems to feel (as does kranswurm) that she has done nothign wrong.

i have stood in front of more taxis and trucks etc protecting cyclists than most people, and certainly more than most of you guys here. i have put my life on the line more times than i can count to protect riders. when cyclists then turn around and defend people who threaten them, it shows an utter disregard for the people who work hard to try ensure the safety of all road users. and to treat a life threatening "mistake in judgement" as minor is an insult to the person whose life was put in danger.

shall we then all agree that there is no problem at all with malema singing his songs and that it's a minor mistake but does not require any intervention?

as to "holier than thou" - i don't use my cell phone on the road (a tad difficult when wearing a motorbike helmet) i don't jump red lights and i take my responsibilities on the road very seriously. i don't know about you but i personally have a conscience and knowing what it feels like to lose good friends to mva's i never want to inflict that loss on other people so sure, i'm proud to be the recipient of your "insult".

Slowpoke - you seem quite the perfect specimen (holier than thou). I will reiterate' date=' we all make mistakes with varying consequences, count yourself lucky all your indiscretions have been minor and had no effect on anyone else. (I am judging by your replies you have only had minor indiscretions) 

She made a mistake in judgement by coming back into the lane, will she do it again I doubt it! she will be more cautious I am sure.

[/quote']

quite right. he also clearly doesn't realise that if he's done any cycling event in gauteng between 2007 and june last year the chances are that i've put my life on the line for him.

As a cyclist I have had enough of arrogant blokes on their bikes thinking the road belongs to them, and then sometimes they get a close call and blame the driver in the car. How many of you ride single file? How many of you stop at the traffic lights and stop signs? How many of you ride in the yellow lane when there is one? If you go looking for trouble don't come home crying. Most of you in your cyclist minds are quick to attack this woman. Clearly if she was wrong this would not have been posted here.

To quote zigies wife "I moved over half way into the middle lane at which time I recall passing two of the riders' date=' however a taxi indicated to move into this shared lane and with a taxi in front of me I had no choice but to move back into the far left lane passing the cyclist or facing the taxi" and to quote slowpoke "as a cyclist and a biker i have learnt that the average SA driver only considers vehicles bigger or with more wheels than theirs as having any rights on the road" It is quite apparent that slowpoke knows what she is talking about here as we can clearly deduce that the taxi is bigger than the cyclist and hence due protocol is to endanger the cyclists life! Does your car not come with brakes? Or are they just too much of a damned inconvenient to you? Rather kill the cyclist than put on brakes hey? smiley7.gif Methinks you may have got what you deserve! [/quote']

Between you and that paragon of virtue slowpoke,I am not supprised that joe cyclist gets labled as arrogant,aggressive and lacking in basic manners.Meanwhile it really is only a few that cause this.I wonder if it was not you banging and swearing at the guys wife that you adopt this confrontational attitude

You are Afrikaans so I will forgive you for confusing the words arrogance with anger.
There is no arrogance in my postings, just anger. Anger at the number of cyclists dying on our roads. Anger at this woman thinking she didn't do anything wrong and that putting a cyclist in a life threatening situation was justified. I'm fully endorse the cyclist behavior, maybe this woman will catch a wake up so we can ride our bikes on the road without the fear of dying!

En jy is 'n soutie wat nie in jou eie taal kan spel nie

As do I Slowpoke as do I.

I may have cycled in the time you stated, cannot remember if I did the 94,7 in this time, but thank you.

MichealH, what's so personal about  what I said your comment sounds much more derogatory.

I don't care what the reason is or how many sides to this story there are. I think the cyclist is a dumb@ss.

?

Nothing justifies swearing?at a woman in?front of her kids' date=' just so that you can get your anger jollies off.

?

The only thing you take with you wherever you go is your manners.
[/quote']

Need I remind you that to a cyclist a car is a deadly weapon. Just browse the Hub and read some of the heart wrenchingly sad posts of late. You say nothing justifies swearing?at a woman? A woman driver has exactly the same capability of killing as a male driver has. Maybe motorists should take their 'road manners' with them before setting out on the roads. Some of your attitudes towards cyclists suck. I am so angered and saddened at the recent incidents on the road involving cyclists. Death is PERMANENT. The loss of a loved one is permanent. The heartache and pain is permanent. SA drivers need to get that into their head and drive with respect and awareness! Ziegie, an incident happened between your wife and a cyclist. Neither of us know the full story but let me just remind you that any incident between a cyclist and a motor vehicle is a near death experience for the cyclist. So all of you please do me a favour, picture your child/spouse lying dead in the road because a motorist was not concentrating, then repost this thread.

I agree but why do the roadies ride next to each other on

the road and not behind, I've never ride on the road or in a group but cannot understand why they want to make a bundle in traffic????

Persona, by reading hte woman's full story it actually appears that they were NOT "in a bundle" - she only half moved over (ie she had half the lane available).

and please don't paint all roadies the same. i know of a good number right here on the hub who ride in single file even on double lane roads at 5 am when there are no cars around even if there are only 2 or 3 in the group. i have personally witnessed these roadies doing this regularly. they even stop at red lights at that hour with no other road users in sight.

All very quick to shout, wave fists and give the finger when we feel threatened by other vehicles on the road (rightfully or wrongfully).

How many of us thank the motorists that do move over and give us a little extra bit of space, or wait for us to pass at intersections? Isn't it time we treated people how we would like them to treat us?

All very quick to shout' date=' wave fists and give the finger when we feel threatened by other vehicles on the road (rightfully or wrongfully).

How many of us thank the motorists that do move over and give us a little extra bit of space, or wait for us to pass at intersections? Isn't it time we treated people how we would like them to treat us?[/quote']

are you not perhaps jumping to conclusions saying that people don't thank other road users who are considerate? I've had roadies thank me and i've witnessed roadies thanking others (yes, i do thank other road users) so such road users do exist.

just because some/many don't thank doesn that mean that no-one should point out errors?

Persona' date=' by reading hte woman's full story it actually appears that they were NOT "in a bundle" - she only half moved over (ie she had half the lane available).

?

and please don't paint all roadies the same. i know of a good number right here on the hub who ride in single file even on double lane roads at 5 am when there are no cars around even if there are only 2 or 3 in the group. i have personally witnessed these roadies doing this regularly. they even stop at red lights at that hour with no other road users in sight.
[/quote'] please don't paint all roadies the same

No not everyone are the same it's just sorry that the innocent normally the ones that get hurt. I also wonder how most of these cyclist attitudes are when they in a car

here is my wife's side of the story' date=' or maybe not story, story's usually have happy endings, hers didn?t

No arguing that there are always two sides to a story, however I wished that the cyclist concerned asked me my side first before repeatedly banging on by window, trying to open my car door, threatening and swearing at me in front of my kids.  In the hope that he will read this and for everyone speculating, here goes 1 side of the story ? I were travelling down Beyers Naude this morning on a straight piece of road when I saw the 3 cyclist in front of me almost in the middle of the left lane, I moved over half way into the middle lane at which time I recall passing two of the riders, however a taxi indicated to move into this shared lane and with a taxi in front of me I had no choice but to move back into the far left lane passing the cyclist or facing the taxi.  When I stopped at the robot the incident occurred I got so scared that I decided to get myself and my kids out of the situation, fortunately there was no car in front of me so I drove off over the red light to get away. As far as I am concerned that was my only traffic offence, no wait I also drove over two lanes to accommodate the cyclists. This is not about being a man or a woman but about innocent kids having to lose some of it over behaviour that should not be tolerated in our society.  I am not ignorant about how dangerous cycling can be I am married to a cyclist after all! Hoping to hear the other side of the story.

[/quote']

What happened to the 3rd cyclist?

Agree that the reaction of the cyclist as described by your wife was excessive and the situation could have got out of hand if she hung around.

Ziegie should go and look under his wife's car, he may have some useable spares stuck there.

Guest Big H

[/quote']

Sheesh I just hope she doesn not read the book while she is driving..... wunder what act does that fall under??????

I am not sure Ziegies wife would have asked him to post if she had done wrong. From what we have been told here, no-one can post anything meaningful, unless they were actually involved.

It highlights for me a few issues, but the one that got my back up is that the cyclists here assume that the driver was wrong, irresponsible, on the phone, not concentrating, distracted.I also hate hearing of the injuries and fatalities of cyclists, but even as a cyclist have to say a lot of cyclists are arrogant and even with the knowledge that the road is dangerous still ride irresponsibly. You can all shout me down, but you know its the truth. Most non cycling road users have little respect for cyclists because they don't conduct themselves a manner that warrants respect. Guys we do not have the right of the road.

The Road Traffic act has also been thrown around, but you must remember that that includes cyclists and running red robots and stop streets which is almost common place with cyling on the road.

Horrible incedent, most probably more to the story. No one was injured and hopefully both parties can learn from it.

All very quick to shout' date=' wave fists and give the finger when we feel threatened by other vehicles on the road (rightfully or wrongfully).

How many of us thank the motorists that do move over and give us a little extra bit of space, or wait for us to pass at intersections? Isn't it time we treated people how we would like them to treat us?[/quote']

"How many of us thank the motorists that do move over and give us a little extra bit of space, or wait for us to pass at intersections? Isn't it time we treated people how we would like them to treat us?"   i do!!!