Bayers Naude Incedent

ziegie

Some guys must lay of the protein juice' date=' it also makes your thingy shrink[/quote']

ive never read such a childish comment on the hub ever smiley11.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True Cyclist are in danger all the time and it is important to protect cyclists, but, does this excuse this type of behaviour to woman and children???

Would the same have been done if it was a man behind the wheel???

I don't care what the reason is or how many sides to this story there are. I think the cyclist is a dumb@ss.

Nothing justifies swearing at a woman in front of her kids' date=' just so that you can get your anger jollies off.

The only thing you take with you wherever you go is your manners.
[/quote']
Need I remind you that to a cyclist a car is a deadly weapon. Just browse the Hub and read some of the heart wrenchingly sad posts of late. You say nothing justifies swearing at a woman? A woman driver has exactly the same capability of killing as a male driver has. Maybe motorists should take their 'road manners' with them before setting out on the roads. Some of your attitudes towards cyclists suck. I am so angered and saddened at the recent incidents on the road involving cyclists. Death is PERMANENT. The loss of a loved one is permanent. The heartache and pain is permanent. SA drivers need to get that into their head and drive with respect and awareness! Ziegie, an incident happened between your wife and a cyclist. Neither of us know the full story but let me just remind you that any incident between a cyclist and a motor vehicle is a near death experience for the cyclist. So all of you please do me a favour, picture your child/spouse lying dead in the road because a motorist was not concentrating, then repost this thread.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

the woman stated "she moved half-way out of the lane to pass - so clearly the cyclists weren't "hogging" the lane or she'd have had to move the whole way.

Not sure how the roads look where you stay, but where i stay even 2 riders riding abreast on most roads will force a motorist to overtake them safely only by crossing the centre lane putting them in danger if traffic is approaching.

As someone who has been hit from behind as well as many times been brushed by a cars side mirror i fully endorse motorists that take extra care to avoid this.

Carbonboy wrote:

"Need I remind you that to a cyclist a car is a deadly weapon. Just browse the Hub and read some of the heart wrenchingly sad posts of late. You say nothing justifies swearing at a woman? A woman driver has exactly the same capability of killing as a male driver has. Maybe motorists should take their 'road manners' with them before setting out on the roads. Some of your attitudes towards cyclists suck. I am so angered and saddened at the recent incidents on the road involving cyclists. Death is PERMANENT. The loss of a loved one is permanent. The heartache and pain is permanent. SA drivers need to get that into their head and drive with respect and awareness! Ziegie, an incident happened between your wife and a cyclist. Neither of us know the full story but let me just remind you that any incident between a cyclist and a motor vehicle is a near death experience for the cyclist. So all of you please do me a favour, picture your child/spouse lying dead in the road because a motorist was not concentrating, then repost this thread. "

Carbon you speak as if all motorists have something out for cyclists and are intent on killing anyone on two wheels. In this case it's a lady with her two kids in the car WHO IS MARRIED TO A FELLOW CYCLIST. Does that even make sense to you??

I commute to work on my bicycle 5 days of the week and have done so for the past 8 years. In the howling SE of summer through the wet, snotty dark of winter. It's a 40km round trip every day. I put in an average of 200kays a week before I begin prepping for events I intend doing. I've seen some wild things on the road and had 3 seriously close calls in this time. I've never however found a reason to rebuke some motorist to the point of being threatening myself.

To you and all those trying to justify this behaviour, wake up. You take people that are indifferent towards cyclists and turn them into haters by this type of nonsense.

So my question again was it a Roadie ?

Roadie? When you ride on a public road you are a Roadie, even if you use a mountainbike, not so?

Carbon you speak as if all motorists have something out for cyclists and are intent on killing anyone on two wheels. In this case it's a lady with her two kids in the car WHO IS MARRIED TO A FELLOW CYCLIST. Does that even make sense to you??

Err, sorry, that is how you interpreted what I said.

What I am saying is that South African drivers have total disregard for fellow road users, whether they are bicycles or otherwise. They generally are always speeding (except Cape Town where they generally drive like they are looking for parking smiley2.gif ) and flagrantly disobey road rules. Drunk driving, using cell phones, not concentrating, disobeying road rules, yellow lining, speeding and bad attitude contribute overwhelmingly towards road accidents, and sadly this is becoming our culture, a culture of disobedience. The unfortunate thing is when there is an accident involving a cyclist the chances are it is fatal for the cyclist (or pedestrian for that matter a la Jub Jub and co). With this in mind, additional consideration, care and caution should be given to the cyclist/pedestrian. But in SA it seems the opposite, this thread being a perfect example. So, to misquote slowpoke, the attitude of our drivers seems to be ?if you are bigger than me then I yield, if you are smaller than me then I just don?t give a f**k?.

The numerous cyclist related deaths recently and now the profoundly sad loss of Adam Reyneke has made me angry towards motorists, however, I have upped my meds smiley4.gif and vented my anger on this thread, so I feel much better now. Thank you.

What many of you are missing the point of is: YES, the cyclist OVERREACTED. BUT that does not change the fact that the woman was in fact wrong if you actually read her description of the incident. It is also clear in said description that she has/had no concept of the fact that she was in fact wrong. UNFORTUNATELY if everyone adopts the attitude that "oh it's a woman and kids so say and do nothing" she will never learn UNTIL SHE HAS KILLED SOMEONE.

If she had veered at the cyclists and then apologised the chances are the dude would NOT have got as aggro as he did.

As a biker i have many incidents of people (including those with bicycles on bikeracks or in the car) almost wiping me out. if they apologise "no problem". if not i will pull up next to them and raise my hand palm upwards in a "what was that for???" manner. WHETHER OR NOT IT'S A WOMAN WITH KIDS because otherwise how will they learn?

I am sure that the guy who killed Adam has a similar story to this woman's one (go read the IOL, News24 and Pta News articles about the accident). THAT is what annoys me so much.

If a cyclist is breaking the law - skipping a robot or stop then they have no recourse - nobody is fighting this fact and if you do you take your life into your own hands (and fates).

But cyclists have a right to use the road. So if you get side-swiped, cutoff, or hit by some person from the back who did not overtake while it was safe then it has got nothing to do with other cyclists not following the rules of the road.

I've got a right to a safe journey in my lane - but I don't get it because  very few people wait until it is safe to pass before doing it and most people will not ride behind you until the road that they want to turn into. They rather pass you and then cut you off.

And if you react in anger (rightly so) they will want to bl$#$sm you or show you signs.

Guest Big H

If a cyclist is breaking the law - skipping a robot or stop then they have no recourse - nobody is fighting this fact and if you do you take your life into your own hands (and fates).

But cyclists have a right to use the road. So if you get side-swiped' date=' cutoff, or hit by some person from the back who did not overtake while it was safe then it has got nothing to do with other cyclists not following the rules of the road.

I've got a right to a safe journey in my lane - but I don't get it because  very few people wait until it is safe to pass before doing it and most people will not ride behind you until the road that they want to turn into. They rather pass you and then cut you off.

And if you react in anger (rightly so) they will want to bl$#$sm you or show you signs.

[/quote']

WTF is your so called "anger" going to help you when the other guys is in a car...... it sounds very much like farting against thunder to me!!!!!!!

Again there is simply no excuse to loose control, some people does not react well to threats, what do you gain by this?? Even more so towards a woman.

typical hub - goes in a circle - at least we can see the badly bred among us that will treat a woman in this way. 10/10 guys!

If 4500 cyclists are killed on our roads every year that means more than 10 are killed every day??????????? I think not, maybe i misunderstood the post by eluder if so please enlighten me...

Our roads are incredibly dangerous. cyclist deaths are running at 5-6 a week and not 4,500 p.a. These stats are taken from http://www.arrivealive.co.za/

2008Number of Fatalities per Type of Vehicle      
Vehicle TypeGAKZWCECFSMPNWLINCRSA
Motorcars          1,482           1,029              748              535              435              814              534              651             153          6,381
Minibuses              231               178              117              279                86              261                42                61               20          1,275
Minibus Taxis                  9               266                 -                     7                20                16                71                74                -               462
Buses                23                 56                39                71                   9              176                12                16                 4             406
Motorcycles              110                 31                50                18                28                24                22                   7                -               289
LDV's - Bakkies              339               543              280              391              172              436              325              347             100          2,934
Trucks                42               106                27                   4                75                   4                31                33               17             339
Trucks - articulated                80                 74                68              100                   6              156                12                23                 4             522
Other and unknown              231               360              124                94                41                80                65              129               36          1,161
Total Motorised       2,546        2,643        1,453        1,499          872        1,965        1,113        1,342         335        13,769
Bicycle                77                 22                47                20                14                26                51                24                 7             288
Animal drawn                 -                    -                   -                   -                   -                   -                   -                   -                  -                 -  
Total       2,623        2,665        1,500        1,519          886        1,992        1,164        1,366         341        14,057