Bayers Naude Incedent

ziegie

At the traffic stop i shouted at her to put her phone off and concentrate on the road.

One of the biggest problems while driving .... cell phones!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Anyone considered that she made a honest mistake' date=' lapse in concentration, kids distracted her, who knows. We all make mistakes, some have terrible consequences (death),  others not so serious."

Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes. Tell that to 4500 cyclist's families that are killed on our roads each year. A vehicle is a deadly machine that needs to be operated with utmost care! I had a woman almost switch me the other while on her phone. At the traffic stop i shouted at her to put her phone off and concentrate on the road. A person's nerves gets shot riding in the traffic and some people are not good at handling their aggression.
[/quote']

I get your point, but that goes for the x number of pedestrians, motorists, miners, construction workers that get killed, 90 % is poor judgement and human error.

Its poor judgement (illegal) to talk on ypour cell while driving, but tell me you have never done it.

The bottom line wether you like it or not we all make mistakes, even you, and the consequences can be terrible.

here is my wife's side of the story, or maybe not story, story's usually have happy endings, hers didn?t

No arguing that there are always two sides to a story, however I wished that the cyclist concerned asked me my side first before repeatedly banging on by window, trying to open my car door, threatening and swearing at me in front of my kids.  In the hope that he will read this and for everyone speculating, here goes 1 side of the story ? I were travelling down Beyers Naude this morning on a straight piece of road when I saw the 3 cyclist in front of me almost in the middle of the left lane, I moved over half way into the middle lane at which time I recall passing two of the riders, however a taxi indicated to move into this shared lane and with a taxi in front of me I had no choice but to move back into the far left lane passing the cyclist or facing the taxi.  When I stopped at the robot the incident occurred I got so scared that I decided to get myself and my kids out of the situation, fortunately there was no car in front of me so I drove off over the red light to get away. As far as I am concerned that was my only traffic offence, no wait I also drove over two lanes to accommodate the cyclists. This is not about being a man or a woman but about innocent kids having to lose some of it over behaviour that should not be tolerated in our society.  I am not ignorant about how dangerous cycling can be I am married to a cyclist after all! Hoping to hear the other side of the story.

DustSupp, ok, so we can safely take it from your reaction here that when you or your wife or your kid DIES and the killer says "oh sorry" you are going to say "never mind, it's FINE".

a "mistake" would be getting lost. a "mistake" would be parking under a tree that falls. killing a person due to selfish actions (eg talking on the cell, doing your makeup, not paying attention to the road) is not a mistake - it is reckless endangerment and deserves to be punished, even if just being told off.

and the least a person could do when endangering a person due to lack of consideration for their rights is APOLOGISE and NOT complain about being told off.

and reading the explanation of her side - she WAS in the wrong - she should have braked and not swerved back left into other traffic - what would she have done had she been overtaking a car or taxi?

ziegie, might i suggest that you and her go and read the National Road Traffic Regulations Act of 1996 as amended in 1998 9available at www.transport.gov.za or www.acts.co.za) and familliarise yourselves with the law and overtaking anyone, including cyclists.

might i also refer you to the iol and news24 and pta news reports that give the "witness" explanations of what apparently caused THE DEATH of a talented youngster?

YES, the aggression was overboard - but did she even try to apologise?

To quote zigies wife "I moved over half way into the middle lane at which time I recall passing two of the riders, however a taxi indicated to move into this shared lane and with a taxi in front of me I had no choice but to move back into the far left lane passing the cyclist or facing the taxi"

and to quote slowpoke "as a cyclist and a biker i have learnt that the average SA driver only considers vehicles bigger or with more wheels than theirs as having any rights on the road"

It is quite apparent that slowpoke knows what she is talking about here as we can clearly deduce that the taxi is bigger than the cyclist and hence due protocol is to endanger the cyclists life! Does your car not come with brakes? Or are they just too much of a damned inconvenient to you? Rather kill the cyclist than put on brakes hey? smiley7.gif

Methinks you may have got what you deserve!

"National Road Traffic Act, 1996
National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
Chapter X : Rules of the road and matters relating thereto
Part I : Rules of the road
298. Passing of vehicle

1)        Subject to the provisions of subregulation (2) and (4) and regulation 296, the driver of a vehicle intending to pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction on a public road shall pass to the right thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive on the left side of the roadway until safely clear of the vehicle so passed"

under Regulations and then Rules of the Road and Matters relating thereto and then Passing of vehicle

Yes, bicycles are considered vehicles. that is why we are not allowed to ride in the yellow line and why we have to stop at red lights, etc

here is my wife's side of the story' date=' or maybe not story, story's usually have happy endings, hers didn?t

No arguing that there are always two sides to a story, however I wished that the cyclist concerned asked me my side first before repeatedly banging on by window, trying to open my car door, threatening and swearing at me in front of my kids.  In the hope that he will read this and for everyone speculating, here goes 1 side of the story ? I were travelling down Beyers Naude this morning on a straight piece of road when I saw the 3 cyclist in front of me almost in the middle of the left lane, I moved over half way into the middle lane at which time I recall passing two of the riders, however a taxi indicated to move into this shared lane and with a taxi in front of me I had no choice but to move back into the far left lane passing the cyclist or facing the taxi.  When I stopped at the robot the incident occurred I got so scared that I decided to get myself and my kids out of the situation, fortunately there was no car in front of me so I drove off over the red light to get away. As far as I am concerned that was my only traffic offence, no wait I also drove over two lanes to accommodate the cyclists. This is not about being a man or a woman but about innocent kids having to lose some of it over behaviour that should not be tolerated in our society.  I am not ignorant about how dangerous cycling can be I am married to a cyclist after all! Hoping to hear the other side of the story.

[/quote']

What happened to the 3rd cyclist?

Agree that the reaction of the cyclist as described by your wife was excessive and the situation could have got out of hand if she hung around.

Appears to me from the wifes version the 1st offence was carried out by the cyclists, had they not hogged the lane riding side by side this would not have happened. Perhaps panic later on caused her to take the wrong action but then if they were also in the wrong the cyclists should have been more understanding.

To quote zigies wife "I moved over half way into the middle lane at which time I recall passing two of the riders' date=' however a taxi indicated to move into this shared lane and with a taxi in front of me I had no choice but to move back into the far left lane passing the cyclist or facing the taxi"

and to quote slowpoke "as a cyclist and a biker i have learnt that the average SA driver only considers vehicles bigger or with more wheels than theirs as having any rights on the road"

It is quite apparent that slowpoke knows what she is talking about here as we can clearly deduce that the taxi is bigger than the cyclist and hence due protocol is to endanger the cyclists life! Does your car not come with brakes? Or are they just too much of a damned inconvenient to you? Rather kill the cyclist than put on brakes hey? smiley7.gif
Methinks you may have got what you deserve!
[/quote']

Between you and that paragon of virtue slowpoke,I am not supprised that joe cyclist gets labled as arrogant,aggressive and lacking in basic manners.Meanwhile it really is only a few that cause this.I wonder if it was not you banging and swearing at the guys wife that you adopt this confrontational attitude

To quote zigies wife "I moved over half way into the middle lane at which time I recall passing two of the riders' date=' however a taxi indicated to move into this shared lane and with a taxi in front of me I had no choice but to move back into the far left lane passing the cyclist or facing the taxi" and to quote slowpoke "as a cyclist and a biker i have learnt that the average SA driver only considers vehicles bigger or with more wheels than theirs as having any rights on the road" It is quite apparent that slowpoke knows what she is talking about here as we can clearly deduce that the taxi is bigger than the cyclist and hence due protocol is to endanger the cyclists life! Does your car not come with brakes? Or are they just too much of a damned inconvenient to you? Rather kill the cyclist than put on brakes hey? smiley7.gif Methinks you may have got what you deserve! [/quote']

?

Between you and that paragon of virtue slowpoke,I am not supprised that joe cyclist gets labled as arrogant,aggressive and lacking in basic manners.Meanwhile it really is only a few that cause this.I wonder if it was not you banging and swearing at the guys wife that you adopt this confrontational attitude

You are Afrikaans so I will forgive you for confusing the words arrogance with anger.

There is no arrogance in my postings, just anger. Anger at the number of cyclists dying on our roads. Anger at this woman thinking she didn't do anything wrong and that putting a cyclist in a life threatening situation was justified. I'm fully endorse the cyclist behavior, maybe this woman will catch a wake up so we can ride our bikes on the road without the fear of dying!

kranswurm, if knowing and adhering to the law is being a "paragon of virtue" then i am proud to be such. if pointing out the law and transgressions of which risk injury/death of others is "arrogant, aggressive and lacking in basic manners" then i am happy to be labelled such.

no wonder so many cyclists are being killed - cyclists such as you approve of their rights being infringed upon and their lives jeopardised with impunity and you then defend the transgressors by calling anyone who points out their errors names.

the woman stated "she moved half-way out of the lane to pass - so clearly the cyclists weren't "hogging" the lane or she'd have had to move the whole way.

again, as i've said before the reaction was excessive but had the woman apologised (which she clearly did not do) for endangering the cyclist in the first place (which she clearly did do) he may never have reacted the way he did.

To quote zigies wife "I moved over half way into the middle lane at which time I recall passing two of the riders' date=' however a taxi indicated to move into this shared lane and with a taxi in front of me I had no choice but to move back into the far left lane passing the cyclist or facing the taxi" and to quote slowpoke "as a cyclist and a biker i have learnt that the average SA driver only considers vehicles bigger or with more wheels than theirs as having any rights on the road" It is quite apparent that slowpoke knows what she is talking about here as we can clearly deduce that the taxi is bigger than the cyclist and hence due protocol is to endanger the cyclists life! Does your car not come with brakes? Or are they just too much of a damned inconvenient to you? Rather kill the cyclist than put on brakes hey? smiley7.gif Methinks you may have got what you deserve! [/quote']

You are Afrikaans so I will forgive you for confusing the words arrogance with anger.
There is no arrogance in my postings, just anger. Anger at the number of cyclists dying on our roads. Anger at this woman thinking she didn't do anything wrong and that putting a cyclist in a life threatening situation was justified. I'm fully endorse the cyclist behavior, maybe this woman will catch a wake up so we can ride our bikes on the road without the fear of dying!

Don't patronise me you ignorant fool.

First of all,I am not Afrikaans.Secondly what do you have against Afrikaaners?

The fact that you are prepared to endorse the cyclist's behaviour is indicative of your own ignorance.You have absolutely no idea what the circumstances are surrounding the situation....unless it was actually you there conducting that disgusting behaviour.Would not suprise me.

Slowpoke - you seem quite the perfect specimen (holier than thou). I will reiterate, we all make mistakes with varying consequences, count yourself lucky all your indiscretions have been minor and had no effect on anyone else. (I am judging by your replies you have only had minor indiscretions) 

She made a mistake in judgement by coming back into the lane, will she do it again I doubt it! she will be more cautious I am sure.