Disk on front, V-brake on back

RodTi

I'm with DR' date=' why have one disc brake when you can have two?[/quote']

To save money if you already have a v brake bike and want to upgrade it to discs.

Lets be honest though a disk brake on the back in most cases is overkill.

But we don't cylce in most cases !!! We cycle in all cases !! Maybe as an partial upgrade you can got that route or like said earlier the bike's not able to take decent brakes at the back . I can not believe they still make bikes like that !!! Are we moving backwards here ? Next we will have backpedal on back !!

not a v-brake disciple. have ridden bikes with both, but recently got rid of my last disc-equipped machine. don't feel i've gone backwards DR. no problem stopping (okay, except for that one time, but then i used the taxi in front of me to stop. haha)  

and would love a bike - beach cruiser-type - with coaster brakes   

we are moving in a circle DR, just like the fashion industry, just pray that the 80's hairstyles don't come backConfused<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Marius - in my case the hairstyles can come back, don't have much hair to worry about! But to see my laaitie with an afro or mullet now that would be a sight to see!

we are moving in a circle DR' date=' just like the fashion industry, just pray that the 80's hairstyles don't come backConfused<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

Why not? I think Lilo would look good with a perm Tongue

BigBen, I'm in the same boat, yaaay!! well I guess I can still do the Mullet thing...eeeeeeeck!!!! scary thought!!

Lilo with a Perm, I wil break myself LOL

And since when does V's look cool ? They look about as cool as a Audi TT with drim brakes on the back !!! As for the weight thing ' date=' aag what the hell I am not even gonna bother . [/quote']

Maybe as an partial upgrade you can got that route or like said earlier the bike's not able to take decent brakes at the back . I can not believe they still make bikes like that !!! Are we moving backwards here ? Next we will have backpedal on back !!

Easy there DR... Embarrassed

I happen to think my early 90's XT V-brakes are oh-so-old-school' date=' and as a result - kinda kool!

And I never said I'm riding a new bike, which would require you to say "...I can not [sic'] believe they still make bikes like that!!"...

I ride a 14yr old DBR Axis TT, it's a Ti frame, one of 1500 ever made worldwide [by Gary Grade in the Sandvik Special Metals factory, Kennewick, Washington State - if you must know (sorry, couldn't resist Wink)], and one of only 20 imported into this country in the mid 1990s...

And I happen to like it.

Which is why, I need V's at the back, since when Dave Weins and Susan De Mattei rode Axis TT's, front suspension was pretty new - never mind disc brakes...

So, considering that when I do get another bike, which will be a full-suss with discbrakes, and the fact that I don't particularly like Audi TT's [unlike Axis TT's] either - I trust its ok in these circumstances to enquire about a V on the back, and a disc on the front....

Ta Wink!

AND BY THE WAY - I absolutely lllluuuuuurrrrrrrrvvvvvveeeeeeeeedddddddddddd my old BMX backpedal bike!Big%20smileLOL

smiley5.gif I luv my 1956 delivery bike , but I don't race with it !!!! Hey dude it's your choise to put that combination on ur bike !!! But I don't wanna hear later that you looking to upgrade your back brakes cause they picked you up at the bottom of Gamkaskloof after it started to rain ! I can not say I really hate v-brakes (my one MTB still got it) but I will not race with that particular bike .

holy Roller, I use to have enough hair in school to also cut my hair in a V shape at the back - that must be old school thenWink

smiley5.gif I luv my 1956 delivery bike ' date=' but I don't race with it !!!! Hey dude it's your choise to put that combination on ur bike !!! But I don't wanna hear later that you looking to upgrade your back brakes cause they picked you up at the bottom of Gamkaskloof after it started to rain ! I can not say I really hate v-brakes (my one MTB still got it) but I will not race with that particular bike .[/quote']

Ok.

Fair enough.

However, since I said at the beginning of this thread that I was not going to get into a v-brake vs disc brake debate - my reply is written accordingly...

And as you righly pointed out - it being my choice, I think I will take your advice that I should not be racing my particular bike, and consider it for a moment....

Hmmm - not race with my old bike because it has V's, or race it, like it has been raced, for the last 14 years...

In rain.

And stuff.

Uhm - I think I'll race it thanks.

V-brakes and all.

Or maybe V's and discs.

Shock.

Horror.

And don't fear - I won't bother anyone about wanting to upgrade my rear V's to match my "decent" disc in front, should I go that way, since - as I mentioned earlier - my frame cannot take discs....

AND - I'll stay away from Gamkaskloof in the rain!Tongue

Oh, and by the way...

What colour is your 1956 delivery bike?

You do know that in other sports, classic modes of transport are still used to race?

Such as the 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SL?

Or a Porsche 550 Spyder?

So if my bike, as old as it is, could be considered a 'vintage' bike, then presumably it's still ok to race?

The bike still got original paint job i.e black . To tell the truth you can still buy these exact same bikes up in africa . Although it could be called vintage because of age it is not a true collectable . I may do the delivery bike race at next years Soweto challenge .

The bike still got original paint job i.e black . To tell the truth you can still buy these exact same bikes up in africa . Although it could be called vintage because of age it is not a true collectable . I may do the delivery bike race at next years Soweto challenge .

That would be classic! LOL

Do take photos!