Tools and Accessories

RudoJ

Hi ya'll

Soooooo I have the bike, the helmet, waterbottle and bar-ends. Now comes the decision what next?

Logic tells me that

1. Pump, saddle bag with tools and tube

2. lekke clipless pedals

working on a bit of a tight budget so until the taxman refunds, can only buy bits and pieces. what else I'm missing? and winter's here sooooo some protective clothing as well me thinks.

well i'd maybe suggest a cycle computer, they are pretty nice for training and races so you can check how you are doing and how far to go still etc, if you dont have one already.

i've just bought one recently myself from sampie here on the hub, and i must say its a pretty decent one, its wireless which is nice so you dont have wires running everywhere and getting tangled etc. and it was a pleasure getting it through sampie. here is the web address if you want to check them out

oh as well solomons is really good with their prices, especially for people on a tight buget, like me who is a student lol, and dont be shy to try your luck asking for a discount, i've got money off a few time on certain things lol.

Well I would say Pomp, spare turbe, patches and tyre leavers for starters! You can always substitute certain "cycling" tools with general home ones.

Like using a combo alan key set from the local hardware store, or just get a cheap one from your LBS.

Clipless can wait!

Brad, it's at Solomons where I bought my Bike...excellent service and assistance. Their variety us awesome as well. Got my computer as gift from a very loving and supportive wife over the weekend so that;s sorted.

CBR (smurfer man) Yebo I agree with you on everything. I keep the clipless pedals and shoes as an incentive for when I achieved all my goals.

Have great week

OOO yes,,,,got my hands on a compression top at Mr P Sports...tight fit and takes a bit getting used to, but with yesterday's cold it helped keeping me warm.

All you need to get now is a good set of legs....

They are prety hard to come by, good luck and enjoy your bike.

A chain breaker and a quick link would also be a good idea. I use a combo allen key set, bit heavier than a multi tool type but more solid and has been with me for years, have used it on my car as well as bike!

Saddle bag (only big enough to fit the following):

Tube with slime in it (I am assuming that you are mtb-ing)

Tire levers (spend a little extra and get the park tool ones. The cheapies bend and break too easily)
Sml multi tool with chain breaker on it
Chain links (your LBS will sell them for about R20 a set)
Tire gator (a type of patch to line your tire side wall if torn by sharp rocks, sticks etc)
Hanger (little aluminium bracket that connects your frame to the rear dereullier)
Fit a sml hand pump to your bike (normally fits on the down tube behind your water bottle cage)

Learn how to change a tube, change out your hanger and how to break and link a chain and you will be covered for 99% of on-the-go repairs.

A multitool is a must! learn how to use the chaintool, although if you pack some SRAM Powerlinks thats a quick fix. Saddle bags: I been using the Topeak one but get the one that has a clip that fits under the saddle frame, the one that straps on the top does not stand the test of time on a mtb.

If you are a sucker for quality, check out the Lezyne range of tools. I saw some at Dunkeld Cycles?

Gee...thanks guys, this will help a great deal. Now to compile my shopping list. It;s nogal expensive to get everything you need (tools wise) but seems like once you have the basics, you're set. Regardless of this, I realised what I've missed all these years after having stopped MTB'ing 12 years ago. The feeling when you get on your bike and hit the road/trial is just sooo great.

Yeah GT, a great set of legs and fitness, is probably the hardest to get, but geez, what fun you have getting there!!

A good multi-tool will have a chain tool in it. Get about 3 quick-links. It is nice to help out other people. Tube not matter if you are tubeless or not. Tyre levers, but then again, the Park-Tool IB-3 have them also built in. Make your own tyre boots from small yoghurt containers. they are small and very flexible. And get a derailleur hanger. Don't be surprised at the price of those, it's actually ridiculous. Then choose you way of getting all of that on the bike, either in your hydration pack or tool bag under the seat.

Here is the Park-tool IB-3. About R250 but it can do everything.

http://www.bicycling.com/images/reviewfinder/0705park_ib3.jpgMampara2010-05-31 01:31:37

Hmm Not a Mampara after all I'd say.....That Multi Tool looks like it will do what is need whenever. Total ignoramus maybe, but what is the derailleur hanger supposed to do?

All bikes have derailleur hangers. The rear derailleur, or jockey, attaches to it on the frame. They do bend sometimes in falls or transport and need to be replaced then.