ChampionChip drops the ball

The Guy in Pink

The reality is that most of these small event depend on us sponsoring a substantial portion of the costs and the amount they pay does not come close to the cost of making these services available. We have however continued to do many small events on a sponsored basis as a service to the sport and the participants.[/Quote]
That's quite a statement. But we have no way to verify whether this is actually the case or not. Why not list the costs for timing a small event and enlighten us all?

By that' date=' I mean YOUR costs not your charges.
[/quote']

Agreed I mean after all you only need 1 man to set up 1 mat and take it down towards the end. Capital should not be brought into the equation as it is most probably paid off by now im sure....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that most of these small event depend on us sponsoring a substantial portion of the costs and the amount they pay does not come close to the cost of making these services available. We have however continued to do many small events on a sponsored basis as a service to the sport and the participants.........  

The response to this situation has made it clear that it is not worth us continuing to support any event on a sponsored basis as the risk is just too great and we do not gain any benefit from this kind of sponsorship but do run the risk of harm should we have any problem, as in this case.<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

[/quote']

Herein lies the truth of the matter. It is uneconomical  for any timing company to time the smaller events which are far from the main centers. That is why I have been very keen over the years for the clubs in the Far North to have their own low cost timing system. Colin,  you will recall the many discussions we have had, over at least ten years, on this topic. You have always strongly opposed any such move, pointing out that you sponsor costs for smaller events, but now after very mild and gentle critisim here, you use the critism,  as an excuse and threaten to withdraw your services.

So there is once again a need to examine the lower cost alternatives.
The Guy in Pink2007-08-05 11:10:50

The reality is that most of these small event depend on us sponsoring a substantial portion of the costs and the amount they pay does not come close to the cost of making these services available. We have however continued to do many small events on a sponsored basis as a service to the sport and the participants.........  

The response to this situation has made it clear that it is not worth us continuing to support any event on a sponsored basis as the risk is just too great and we do not gain any benefit from this kind of sponsorship but do run the risk of harm should we have any problem, as in this case.<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

[/quote']

Herein lies the truth of the matter. It is uneconomical  for any timing company to time the smaller events which are far from the main centers. That is why I have been very keen over the years for the clubs in the Far North to have their own low cost timing system. Colin,  you will recall the many discussions we have had, over at least ten years, on this topic. You have always strongly opposed any such move, pointing out that you sponsor costs for smaller events, but now after very mild and gentle critisim here, you use the critism,  as an excuse and threaten to withdraw your services.

So there is once again a need to examine the lower cost alternatives.

Someone has US by the short and curlies

Maybe we should find out what a competative system costs and have the clubs buy the system and get CC out of the picture i am sure we will get a better price at the races

Looks like there is a niche market for a small company to service small events. With the emphasis on service. I don't believe that it is uneconomical but simply not lucrative enough for Colin.

Windbreaker2007-08-05 11:22:44

Looks like there is a niche market for a small company to service small events. With the emphasis on service. I don't believe that it is uneconomical but simply not lucrative enough for Colin.

Screw it being lucrative, if there is one life lesson to learn it is support the bottom feeders as they the people that supply your bread and butter. Dont look after them and you will be burned!!!!!Angry

Someone should test the water

Someone should test the water

I would if I knew where to start and had some donations...I wouldnt be in it to make millions but to provide a quality cheap alternative. Its for the good of the sport and not for others to have bigger pockets...Else how will we ever get any good??

Where does one start must be a VERY closed niche in the market. Does any one know where???????????????????????????????

its just a matter of finding a company in the electronics field and there we have a timing system

Ek sal so bietjie by die vervoer ingenieurs hoor. Hulle tel alles om nuwe paaie te regverdig. Die tegnologie is dieslfde. Dit begin met 'n elektromagnetiese "loop" op die pad. Die "loop" moet net die kode op jou unieke chip verstaan.

Ek sal so bietjie by die vervoer ingenieurs hoor. Hulle tel alles om nuwe paaie te regverdig. Die tegnologie is dieslfde. Dit begin met 'n elektromagnetiese "loop" op die pad. Die "loop" moet net die kode op jou unieke chip verstaan.

Hendrik almal het mos alreeds die chips kan 'n mens nie iewers die matte, PC's en mense kry om die goed van die been af te kry nie, miskien sal die kostes dan ook afkom omdat daar NOU kompetisie is

I think what really needs to be looked at is CC's excuse for not attending this event. "Unavailability of staff". This sounds like a company that employs 2 members of staff and 1 was doing a running event in pofadder whilst the other one had to take his mommy shopping at the local pick n pay.

I think a bit of real honesty from CC would be appreciated here. Explanations given by CC smack of the opinion that everyone here has "Idiot" tattooed across their forehead.

Give us an explanation as to how you managed to agree to time an event and then when it came to the event you suddenly discovered that you did not have staff. Sounds more like bad planning to me. If this is the case then rather admit it and people will respect you more for it as opposed to trying to aportion blame to both your staff and sponsorships and blah blah blah.

I think what really needs to be looked at is CC's excuse for not attending this event. "Unavailability of staff". This sounds like a company that employs 2 members of staff and 1 was doing a running event in pofadder whilst the other one had to take his mommy shopping at the local pick n pay.

I think a bit of real honesty from CC would be appreciated here. Explanations given by CC smack of the opinion that everyone here has "Idiot" tattooed across their forehead.

Give us an explanation as to how you managed to agree to time an event and then when it came to the event you suddenly discovered that you did not have staff. Sounds more like bad planning to me. If this is the case then rather admit it and people will respect you more for it as opposed to trying to aportion blame to both your staff and sponsorships and blah blah blah.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Sounds to me like he is booking an event and then when a bigger events gets booked where he can make more money he all of a sudden does not have the MANPOWER to send them to the small event because they are doing the larger( PAying more event) than the other one

NOT ON CC NOT ONOuchOuchOuchOuchOuch

Hendrik almal het mos alreeds die chips kan 'n mens nie iewers die matte' date=' PC's en mense kry om die goed van die been af te kry nie, miskien sal die kostes dan ook afkom omdat daar NOU kompetisie is
[/quote']Here is half the problem. Yes, everyone already has the CC chips and the technology is definitely not rocket science BUT they will sue you if you try to time an event with participants using "their" chips. They took WT to court (or threatened to) a while back for exactly that.

I have my doubts that the case would stand up in court - I think that the WT / CC settlement was a case of you stay south and I'll stay north and let's keep it cosy.

Hendrik almal het mos alreeds die chips kan 'n mens nie iewers die matte' date=' PC's en mense kry om die goed van die been af te kry nie, miskien sal die kostes dan ook afkom omdat daar NOU kompetisie is
[/quote']Here is half the problem. Yes, everyone already has the CC chips and the technology is definitely not rocket science BUT they will sue you if you try to time an event with participants using "their" chips. They took WT to court (or threatened to) a while back for exactly that.

I have my doubts that the case would stand up in court - I think that the WT / CC settlement was a case of you stay south and I'll stay north and let's keep it cosy.

They could only sue if the chips had a patent on and what would they sue for

Lets keep it at WT stays south CC stays in Durban

and the rest get serviced by someone who is interested in providing a service and honouring a contract.

My R0,02c worth

There are a couple of small timing companies around such as Spectrum Sport.

Spectrum Sport Timing has developed this advanced timing system together with SYGADE. The system works with RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology. A significant advantage of RFID devices over other timing devices is that it?s cost effective. In addition to this the RFID device does not need to be positioned exactly relative to the scanner.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Scanners can be placed overhead or on the sides of the finish line depending on where the tags are positioned on the athlete/bike