ChampionChip drops the ball

The Guy in Pink

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

remember cell providers how they had to cut prices due to cellc then virgin its time WT and CC wake up and smell the roses

We Wanted to time a small race in limpopo in april this year.

Got a quote from CC that worked out to about R68.00 per rider(calculated on a 120 rider entry)When I told CC that the price was too high,they told me that I could apply for sponsorship,and if granted would recieve a substantial price cut.

Looking at CC's prices from the previous year,it appeared to me that this was a "new pricing" strategy as the price increase was hefty,and we are not a charity that needs help!.

Anyway we decided to hand time the race with a video camera as back up,and up the prize money by R8000.00. nobody seemed to mind,we had a lot of fun,a few hassles, but all turned out well.

I reckon that with 2 video camera's (one from the back getting numbers,one from the side on the line),and a few students who have slept the night before,the system will work just fine for races up to a few hundred.Ideal for Limpopo.

CC have priced themselves out of our market,which is sad as their service has always been very good. hey neccesity is the mother of invention,or in our case "maak n plan"

fkaer - thing is : they quote x-amount /race including travel, which to Limpopo would be quite hefty. So because you had so few riders - the big price. If you had 1200 riders, it would have been R20. Bigger races, cheaper per rider to time? Or am I shooting into nothing?

CC and WT have the right to charge whatever they wish. That's their business. But the issue here is that Colin Hegter has come out and stated that these small events do not cover CC's costs and that CC subsidise them. I'd like him to back that statement up.

Secondly I do NOT believe that CC or WT can prevent any other person/company from placing a mat on the ground to detect the proximity of a sensor which is owned by a third party if that third party actively participates. And before anyone uses the DSTV argument - it is not the same thing.

The out of court agreement was exactly that - an agreement not to compete with each other. What happens when you don't have competition?? Well .... the little guys are the first ones to get stiffed. What caused this thread in the first place??? "A little event that got stiffed".

En almal teem oor Winning Time. Wat het van integriteit in besigheid geword. Al wat ek kan s? is WTF???Disapprove

Let?s be reasonable here:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lets assume that CC or WT or any other person ?who can do this for much less? is based in JHB and agrees to time a race in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Limpopo. Say a round trip of 1000km.

Lets further assume that he drags himself and his equipment there in a 2.5 l diesel bakkie, that costs him R200 000 to buy and in which he travels say 25 000 km per year. Say his diesel costs him R6.5/l.

The AA will tell you that under such a scenario, the rate per km is R4.12/km.

Therefore, before you have bought your stopwatch and note pad, paid yourself a salary, made a profit you have spent R4 200 just to get there. If the race attracts 100 riders, that works out at R42 a shot.  Tough but true.

I think that for a small local race, a small local solution is the only way to go. It is not second rate, just appropriate. 

Lets further assume that he drags himself and his equipment there in a 2.5 l diesel bakkie' date=' that costs him R200 000 to buy and in which he travels say 25 000 km per year. Say his diesel costs him R6.5/l.

[/quote']

unfortunately you;ll be lucky to get there with two diesel bakkies. The equipment fills a Turbo Dally van.

Lets further assume that he drags himself and his equipment there in a 2.5 l diesel bakkie' date=' that costs him R200 000 to buy and in which he travels say 25 000 km per year. Say his diesel costs him R6.5/l.

[/quote']

unfortunately you;ll be lucky to get there with two diesel bakkies. The equipment fills a Turbo Dally van.

Ja, but I was the Hubber who could do it for much less. Wink

I only needed a bakkie so I could sleep in it the night before and  not have to pay a hotel bill as well........I am timing the event with vapourware that hadn't cost me anything to develop and costs me nothing to run.

The point is simply that to get to an out of the way place to do marginal business is seldom worth while,  because the fixed costs can not be distributed across a large enough base to make the unit cost reasonable to the consumer.

With the WT CC cartel now "controlling" the databases of the timing scenario it becomes imperative that CSA takes control over and create a National Cyclists Database.

Very nice rethoric but this will come at a price. CSA WIL NOT do this for nothing. To allow this to happen and to allow this to happen efficiently we will ALL have to take out our Licenses. That will most likely be the way CSA will fund a totally new database. Opposition to this will crumble when Piet from Sandton has to start unseeded from the back of the race instead of starting with his testosterone ridden Veteran buddies. He will very soon pay the puny amount  just to race with them again!!!!!!! Tee heee

Carinus..... the new National Data Base you are prparing must allow for alternative methods of timing. Standards for this timing must also be created. We cannot allow two companies to dominate the scene with the exclusive use of their timing equipment. Smaller clubs in remote placed MUST be given the opportunity to use alternative means of timing in a simplified but regulated manner that will be cost effective for them.
Hendrik Petoors2007-08-08 04:40:27

Let?s be reasonable here:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lets assume that CC or WT or any other person ?who can do this for much less? is based in JHB and agrees to time a race in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Limpopo. Say a round trip of 1000km.

The AA will tell you that under such a scenario, the rate per km is R4.12/km.

Therefore, before you have bought your stopwatch and note pad, paid yourself a salary, made a profit you have spent R4 200 just to get there. If the race attracts 100 riders, that works out at R42 a shot.  Tough but true.

I think that for a small local race, a small local solution is the only way to go. It is not second rate, just appropriate. 

[/quote']

Conceded you have an argument albeit not a valid one from JHB to Polokwane( Pietersburg) is 300 k's one way that wotks out @ 600k's round trip--- MUCH cheaper now.

Colin is quiet because he cannot rightfully justify why he did not honour his agreement with Polokwane Pedallers.  Sorry boys but you got shafted BIG TIME EN NOU WIL DIE OOM NIE EERS JAMMER SE NIE

The cost of a RFID chip is in the region of R20.00 (at present). We all paid approx R80.00 for our chips, yet CC still lays claim to ownership of the chip in as far as they want to limit us to where and when we can use them.  F#ck, CC (and the retailer) have already made a profit out of the sale of the chip.

The technology is cheap and does not have to fill a big VAN as CC's equipment does.

CC has always been good and I believe in the future they will continue to render a fair service.  But to just want to do big races and neglect the smaller races is BS.  THey entered into a contract knowing very well that at the smaller races they will probable cover costs and only make a little something, while at the big rides they are going to coin it.  You cannot always have your cake and eat it too.

Allow us to use our "own - paid for" timing chips with whoever is timing the race.  If not, lets all purchase an indepent RFID transponder at cost + 15%, and establish a new database.  The database is then made available at a small fee to the timing company and Bob's your uncle.  That cannot be very hard to do.

Just my humble opnion.

CSA can set up the national seeding index now if they want. It may, possibly, only contain all the info of the current registered licenced riders as well as all the old PPA riders. Remember they are one now or are they not.

So all that is required is for a new timing org to purchase the database from CSA and append the new RF/Chip/whatever transmitter numbers to the database and there you go.

As far as I can see this does not take rocket sience and the CSA database should be almost as complete as any of the two other timming companies.

The cost of a RFID chip is in the region of R20.00 (at present). We all paid approx R80.00 for our chips' date=' yet CC still lays claim to ownership of the chip in as far as they want to limit us to where and when we can use them.  F#ck, CC (and the retailer) have already made a profit out of the sale of the chip.

The technology is cheap and does not have to fill a big VAN as CC's equipment does.

CC has always been good and I believe in the future they will continue to render a fair service.  But to just want to do big races and neglect the smaller races is BS.  THey entered into a contract knowing very well that at the smaller races they will probable cover costs and only make a little something, while at the big rides they are going to coin it.  You cannot always have your cake and eat it too.

Allow us to use our "own - paid for" timing chips with whoever is timing the race.  If not, lets all purchase an indepent RFID transponder at cost + 15%, and establish a new database.  The database is then made available at a small fee to the timing company and Bob's your uncle.  That cannot be very hard to do.

Just my humble opnion.
[/quote']

Runflat actually not a humble idea but a very good innovative way of thinking

ClapClapClapClapClapClap

One thing you are forgetting is the share going to Championchip international. Also royalties to use the equipment and branding rights and and.

You are not going to go to McDonalds and put up an argument with them about their R12 hamburger which you feel is worth only R 8. you are either going to buy it from them or go somewhere else where you feel you get better value for your money or you are going without it.

So why would you now want to pick an argument with Colin.

Sometime things are out of your control and you can do nothing about it.