training on an indoor trainer vs the actual thing

Lekker hey Angry

For the month July (supposed to be mid summer hm???) we had 17 days of rain.

So far August seems to be going the same fargen route AngryAngryAngry[/Quote]LOLLOL

Hey Swissvan, I can feel your frustration from here. I remember my first season in Europe. Arrived in Aberdeen Scotland in September 95. It was at the back end of one of their best summers on record and really was quite pleasant. But it all went downhill quite quickly into long, long miserable winter, followed by an average summer. I remember counting the number of sunny days on my fingers.

There is no such thing as summer in northern Europe - at best you have a nice spring followed by a decent autumn. No summer.

By the way Cape Town has had one of it's best days this year. Beautiful!

p.s. serves you right for posting those pictures of the lake route with no cars hooting & drivers screaming at you!

Windbreaker2007-08-08 11:11:00

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought a trainer' date=' which I use a few days a week with the spinervals dvd's. I find they give a great and varied workout!!

It is however true, I find, that nothing gets my heart rate up quite like the road, and have in fact been wondering as to the reason why
[/quote']Borrow a powertap if you can and my bet is that you'll find that you aren't working as hard on the trainer as you do on the road - although it feels as hard or even harder. Powertap + structured indoor training is excellent training if you can stick with it.

don't waste your money. I went the polar route initially - lots of hassle & it don't work on the trainer. Also don't fall for the iBike thing - a gimmick. If you are serious about a power meter take the leap and get a Powertap pro. There are quite a few of them on the hub - guys upgrading to the wireless version. Should be able to get used one for about R5-5.5k

don't waste your money. I went the polar route initially - lots of hassle & it don't work on the trainer. Also don't fall for the iBike thing - a gimmick. If you are serious about a power meter take the leap and get a Powertap pro. There are quite a few of them on the hub - guys upgrading to the wireless version. Should be able to get used one for about R5-5.5k

Or you could use the following nonameRandsfree method:

Ride untill you experience one of the following - little black spots, your quads start burning or breathing becomes difficult,  then change down 1 gear (1 gear easier)and maintain this effort for 20 minutes.

Recover - ride slow enough that breathing is normal for 10 -15  minutes.

Repeat 20 minute session as above.

Do this untill one of the indicators (spots, burning or difficult breathing) refuse to go away.

Tee Hee...Smile

Jawohl Herr Swiss..... and vee only vant to heer unn cliccck!!!!!!

Naai HP.... Nur ein shwarzer "spot" sehen...

WinkCome on Jackster.........you can't type "Naai" on a family forum!!

Hope you and Gill are well.Tongue

WinkCome on Jackster.........you can't type "Naai" on a family forum!!

Hope you and Gill are well.Tongue

Howzit going Ian?  

Naai'ing is quite acceptable from my point of view, thats one of the ways they pronounce "Nein / No" in Swissgerman.

Often makes me giggle to myself when i reply "naai" to someone here...Embarrassed

[

Lekker hey Angry

So far August seems to be going the same fargen route AngryAngryAngry

here since June , 8 days WITHOUT rain...........

[

Lekker hey Angry

So far August seems to be going the same fargen route AngryAngryAngry

here since June ' date=' 8 days WITHOUT rain...........
[/quote]

Snippet taken from www.swissinfo.org

"MeteoSchweiz, the national weather service, warned that rain would continue to fall across much of the country throughout Thursday, although it believed the worst was now over.

It noted that Zurich had experienced its worst rainfall in a century, with

100 litres per cubic metre falling in 24 hours between Wednesday and Thursday.

MeteoSchweiz said 74 litres of rain per cubic metre had fallen on Bern in

the same period. 

Other badly affected areas were the Chasseral in canton Bern (90 litres), the Mol?son in canton Fribourg (80 litres) and Lugano (70 litres).

MeteoSchweiz pointed out that the present rainfall had not overtaken the

record amounts that caused chaos in Switzerland in August 2005.

Between 200 litres and 300 metres had fallen locally in 24 hours during

the most critical period then. "

don't you just love summer in N. Europe......

Coming to Switz in Ocotber so hopefully it will have dried out by then...........