Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Clothing. 

OK so then on the first page, I use the rate applicable to clothing and not shoes? 

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so then on the first page, I use the rate applicable to clothing and not shoes? 

wait.... sorry. Shoes are 30% iirc. I think clothing is 40%. It's DEFINITELY not cycling equipment. 

So it'd be: ((cost (ex shipping)) x 1.3 x 1.154) + shipping.

wait.... sorry. Shoes are 30% iirc. I think clothing is 40%. It's DEFINITELY not cycling equipment. 

So it'd be: ((cost (ex shipping)) x 1.3 x 1.154) + shipping.

Thanks, although on page 1 shoes are listed as 40%. Was this a typo on your part or have the rates changed?

Thanks, although on page 1 shoes are listed as 40%. Was this a typo on your part or have the rates changed?

honestly dunno. Been so long since I've checked the rates. I think Cap posted the most recent ones in the previous pages. 

honestly dunno. Been so long since I've checked the rates. I think Cap posted the most recent ones in the previous pages. 

Cheers

Thanks, Myles.

Got a total sum of R1,121.18 according to my calculations.

Will do a bit of research on the shoe before jumping to conclusion.

Hey Guys

Hope all is well. Im looking at buying a Canyon Bicycle online and shipping it to SA. Im I correct in saying I would pay 15% tax to import it.

So this is my Calculation...

R70 000 (the bike) + R5 600 (shipping) + R10 500 (15% tax) = R86 100

Man o man....starting to think this is not worth it?

Have a mate or anyone traveling from this side there and back bring it back for you.

take it for a ride that side first...

leave it dirty

and ask shop for a old box to pack it in...

:)

Pretty much correct on the numbers, + R110 customs / clearing duties.

I'm waiting for some Chris King goodies and Thomson goodies from states.. should have been boxed and shipped this morning.

G

Hey Guys

Hope all is well. Im looking at buying a Canyon Bicycle online and shipping it to SA. Im I correct in saying I would pay 15% tax to import it.

Hey Guys

This is what I would do. Ship frame to mate to bring it in for you amd you pay 15.4% vat. Order all your other parts online and dwlivsr to SA duty free but taxed at 15.4%.

Hey Guys

As i have it: R70 000 + R10 500 (15% tax on whole bike)= R80500 + R12 317(15.3% Vat) = R92 816 + Shipping.

Was also looking at Canyon and this is what all the smart people told me. 

What bike are you looking at? There stock is a bit limiting.

Edited by Bassman

Bit of advice to would be buyers intending to use CRC etc(may have been mentioned before). If you can, then choose the courier option . SA Post Office is really slow-took 3 days to get from CRC to JHB Hub and 9 days to get from JHB to CT where it has been for a further 5 days. Small parcel with 3 items. Not sure of why there is a holdup but still no indication of when i will get it. 'It is being processed' is the stock answer from SA Post Office. Could be because they are working out duties etc. Long and short of it is that I get the sense that SA Post Office don't work to rigid deadlines and turnaround times like the private companies do so delivery times depends on the weakest links in the chain. Sometimes you are lucky sometimes not!  Last time I bought a groupset and had it sent via DHL. 4 days until it reached me. Same supplier.....

You still got away lightly...

G

Bit of advice to would be buyers intending to use CRC etc(may have been mentioned before). If you can, then choose the courier option . SA Post Office is really slow-took 3 days to get from CRC to JHB Hub and 9 days to get from JHB to CT where it has been for a further 5 days. Small parcel with 3 items. Not sure of why there is a holdup but still no indication of when i will get it. 'It is being processed' is the stock answer from SA Post Office. Could be because they are working out duties etc. Long and short of it is that I get the sense that SA Post Office don't work to rigid deadlines and turnaround times like the private companies do so delivery times depends on the weakest links in the chain. Sometimes you are lucky sometimes not!  Last time I bought a groupset and had it sent via DHL. 4 days until it reached me. Same supplier.....