Gloves : 50.0%

Helmets (fullface or other) : 44.3%

Knee pads and other protective equipment : 38.5%

plastic bottles : 32.7%

whole bicycles : 32.7%

Goggles : 15.4%

bike components : 15.4%

cycling electronics : 15.4%

Use this one. It gives the complete cost, including VAT and the import duties in the other table.

Also, what have been peoples experiences with ordering with CRC. Ive only heard good things but is there anyone out there thats been pinged for import duties with hidden costs etc.

I've personally never had problems with CRC. Some people have had problems with long delays when ordering out-of-stock items.

Always select a shipping method that allows tracking (e.g. Parcelforce) - this reduces the chance that someone at SAPO will steal your order.

There's a couple of possibilities where you may get minor hidden costs:

1. The ZAR price on CRC does not always use the correct exchange rate. Rather calculate the payment amount using their GBP amount (at checkout) and an up-to-date exchange rate. Be aware, that even then, the actual price will be determined by the rate at the time when your transaction is processed.
  2. If you pay by credit card, your bank adds 2.75% or so for currency conversions.
  3. The SARS rate of exchange is higher than the normal daily rate. Use their published rates for your calculations of duties.
  4. SARS doesn't always use the correct exchange rate when doing their conversion calculation - they tend to use the rate for the day of arrival, rather than the day of shipping. Sometimes this has benefited me sometimes, other times not. It usually doesn't make too big an impact (unless Julius gets elected as president between you ordering and your parcel arriving).

Generally, though, these will only add 5% or so to the amount calculated if you had just used a general exchange rate for your calculations.

There are two areas where you can get major hidden costs:

1. SARS decides that items in your order should fall under a different tariff heading than what you assumed in your calculations e.g. you think something should be bike parts at 0% duties, but SARS decides it should be clothing at 45% duty. I believe you can challenge this, though, but it takes a lot of time.
  2. Composite orders. If you bring a shipment containing e.g. a mixture of clothes and parts, SARS should charge separate duties for the clothes and the parts but there's a risk that they'll apply the clothing duty to the entire order. Again, you can challenge this but it delays your order.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another hidden cost to consider:

I'm not sure what exactly parts constitute a complete bike to SARS, but there's a risk that if you bring in a lot of components in a single parcel (e.g. frame, group, wheels) SARS will decide that they deserve to get the complete bike duty.

I received a small parcel from CRC on Friday. Only bike parts totaling about R600. I got slapped R200 duties + R100 VAT.

Mudsimus, what did they think it was that they chucked on duties? What tariff code did they use?

I received a small parcel from CRC on Friday. Only bike parts totaling about R600. I got slapped R200 duties + R100 VAT.

Next time don't use Muds in the States as your address!!

Shees I cant remember. C11 or D11? I needed the parcel very urgentely so I didnt argue to much.

Next time don't use Muds in the States as your address!!

Muds

The States

Maybe they dont appreciate jokes?

Thanks. Obviously theres a lot of interest in this route of shipping. I found a pair of mtb shoes on CRC and almost half the price so this is what I'm getting at. Bottom line then is do your numbers first.

• 2 weeks later...

do you guys think that it is still worth it to buy from crc even after all the tax and do bike shops pay 45 percent duties on clothes :blink:

jaba: it's called shopping, ie comparing prices before handing over the cash. Do the math and literally figure it out for yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I orederd a electronic device(gps) from spain with dhl shipping it came to R1600 am i correct to say that i only need to pay 14.5% vat on it because i phoned dhl they said there is a R950 charge from customs before they can deliver it