Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im considering shipping a complete bike from CRC. With the 32.7% duties mentioned on this post I will still be saving a large amount. I have heard you can ask for the bike to be invoiced and shipped in two parts, wheels in one and frame, etc in the other. Has anyone tried this, or any body got any advice, I am quite reluctant to order this way but the saving is tempting.

Any advice appreciated.

yes you can do it. but it's the same 'trick' used by import fraudsters (apologies for the harsh language) when they import LCD TVs: remove the tv tuners. ship in separate consignment. The panels get shipped as LCD monitors. Different rates apply last i check. Reassemble and sell LCD TVs. Pocket a nicely increased profit. Thanks SARS.

Even with the incorrect charge, i still got it cheaper than in S.A and just heard they wil refund me the duties. Order also took jus 4 days to get to me

Soooooo for someone like me, totally uneducated with all these import duties etc etc, it will be better to do a bit of price reserach locally then? Unless it's something I really really want

Soooooo for someone like me, totally uneducated with all these import duties etc etc, it will be better to do a bit of price reserach locally then? Unless it's something I really really want

It always pays to do thorough price research. Not everything from CRC is cheaper than local.

Im considering shipping a complete bike from CRC. With the 32.7% duties mentioned on this post I will still be saving a large amount. I have heard you can ask for the bike to be invoiced and shipped in two parts, wheels in one and frame, etc in the other. Has anyone tried this, or any body got any advice, I am quite reluctant to order this way but the saving is tempting.

Any advice appreciated.

Don't count on avoiding the duties when you do your cost comparisons. I suspect what you propose is illegal and SARS are pretty jacked-up. there's a good chance that they'll notice this and charge the duties for a complete bike.

I personally am a bit hesitant buying frames from oversees. The cost of shipping it back in the event of a warranty issue is pretty high and the inconvenience factor is also very high if you don't have a replacement bike to use while it's gone. At least with components etc, it's cheaper to ship back for repairs and it's also possible to buy a cheap replacement part to use while it's gone.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's to protect our fragile textile industry from the Chinese (some would say from itself).

I remember not to long ago there was a strike that took place by the people in the textile industry to pretect the local market. the T-shirts handed out for all to wear to support the strike had a nice label inside......

It read "MADE IN CHINA"

How's that for protecting the industry.....

Regarding import duties:

If you can get them to split the items on the invoice and state as Groupset XYZ

Frame set ABC and get them to strip the bike,

It is actually classified as frame and parts and not as a complete bike.

You are still creating "work" in RSA as someone still needs to build it up for you.

So you should be able to get away by only paying VAT on the products and maybe a 5-10% handling fee.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

I've ordered quite a few times from CRC, first order was via DHL and arrived 1 week later. My last order was via RoyalMail and after 2.5 weeks I didn't receive anything. They send me a new package via ParcelForce without charging me anything and I received it 5 days later, so I can't complain of their service.

Only thing I want to know is what the tax would be on Eyewear (Saw some pretty nice Oakley's I need!!!) ?

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking at buying a powertap for R7500 from CRC how much extra do you think I will have to pay once it arrives in SA on Duties and remember i don't pay for shipping as its free for any purchase over R3000. Last thing what is the expected Shipping time to SA? :unsure: