Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Im looking at buying a powertap for R7500 from CRC how much extra do you think I will have to pay once it arrives in SA on Duties and remember i don't pay for shipping as its free for any purchase over R3000. Last thing what is the expected Shipping time to SA? :unsure:

If you use the bicycle parts customs code (it is a hub)then you would only pay the 14% VAT and associated cleaning fees.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another hidden cost to consider:

I'm not sure what exactly parts constitute a complete bike to SARS, but there's a risk that if you bring in a lot of components in a single parcel (e.g. frame, group, wheels) SARS will decide that they deserve to get the complete bike duty.

My understanding is that you can probably bring in a complete bike, minus the wheels and have it cleared as bike parts. The wheels must arrive on a different vessel and not a different shipment on the same vessel.

UPDATE: No import duty on Sunglasses :thumbup: only 14% VAT :thumbdown:

Albeit that I'd rather pay South African VAT at 14%......... than EU Vat at 23% :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Also just checked..... never paid any duty (only VAT) on my Polar Bluetooth HR Monitor Belt from the Sports-Tracker online Store :thumbup: :thumbup:

Apologies Edman :blush:

I ordered R6830 worth of stuff from CRC a month ago and a bit ago. Parcel arrived 2 weeks back. Got hit with a R1100 levy. The parcel consisted of JUST bike parts, and one set of compression pants (clothing). I feel I got shafted but didn't feel like fighting with anyone as they said if you aren't happy, you can send the whole parcel back to JHB to be rechecked. And that's not a guarantee that it'll lower the levies anyway.

if someone send you a gift, say for your birthday, and its even wrapped in wrapping paper, but it is of cycling stuff do you still get charged duty fees. I always thought that a gift/present had no duties!?!

if someone send you a gift, say for your birthday, and its even wrapped in wrapping paper, but it is of cycling stuff do you still get charged duty fees. I always thought that a gift/present had no duties!?!

I think there's a limit of about R500 for gifts. Above that you have to pay VAT and duties on the full value. Of course, it's possible they won't check the parcel.

• 4 weeks later...

I have looked at the sars doc and cannot find where tyres fall into the tables - I am looking at buying two tyres from CRC but want to know what import duties I will have to pay...

anyone know? thanks in advance.

thanks to guidance of this thread, i only paid VAT on my Garmin Edge 500 bundle from CRC. i'm a bit doff when it comes to duties and vat. i previously bought a helmet from CRC and was shocked when i had to pay duties. i still ended up paying R100 less than at the LBS

I have looked at the sars doc and cannot find where tyres fall into the tables - I am looking at buying two tyres from CRC but want to know what import duties I will have to pay...

anyone know? thanks in advance.

no duties. cycling component. Dunno if this has changed, but I havent paid customs on tires since I've been blackholing my CC into CRC. Only VAT.

no duties. cycling component. Dunno if this has changed, but I havent paid customs on tires since I've been blackholing my CC into CRC. Only VAT.

Cool, thanks! :thumbup:

Does anyone have any idea intobwhch category a partially assembled kids bike trailer would fall? Bike components? Prams? Anyone imported a trailer before? Thanks.

New here and thought I'd share my experiences with SARS and customs at the JIMC (Johannesburg international mail centre) sorry if it has been mentioned before. But whenever I know something is coming I always without fail, unless it's coming with DHL FEDEX, intercept the package at the JIMC. Most of the guys there are friendly bunch and you can always query duties on the spot if you are not happy. You will also save yourself at least 3-5 days delivery time if you go there directly, just behind OR TAMBO near long term parking.

Edited by PAYBACK

• 1 month later...