Spraying of Bike

Slayer

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The White is rather pretty ... the red, black & yellow bike makes me think of when they first brought out the city golf and they had those silly cars with all the different coloured body panels.

But Ish Wenna ... 53K ....

H

Back to the warranty issue. I think carbon bikes pose some issues when it comes to removing the existing paint. Some twit may decide to use paint stripper on the carbon, and another may end up sanding a whole layer of carbon off the frame before spraying. Either way, the frame may be damaged in the process and this is something that the manufacturer shouldn't take responsibility for.

Having said that, I understand where Johan is coming from. If you spray an alu bike and the head tube cracks along its length, it should still be covered by warranty.

Back to the warranty issue. I think carbon bikes pose some issues when it comes to removing the existing paint. Some twit may decide to use paint stripper on the carbon, and another may end up sanding a whole layer of carbon off the frame before spraying. Either way, the frame may be damaged in the process and this is something that the manufacturer shouldn't take responsibility for.

Having said that, I understand where Johan is coming from. If you spray an alu bike and the head tube cracks along its length, it should still be covered by warranty.

now where is JB's test where he proves that paintstripper does nothing to carbon.

Thank you! Someone who talks some sense.

Thank you! Someone who talks some sense.

I'll ignore the obvious inference for now, but I'll ask again. Why?

Why penalise someone for a modification that has nothing to do with the failure?

Further, do a search on here for paint stripper and carbon, under one of my posts. You'll discover that carbon as used on bikes, is impervious to paint stripper or any other chemical any of us have in our garages or under the sink.

There ...tell them like it is Borrie.

I say go paint that mother@#$% into those cool colours - but use a pro-painter business (who then must guarantee their paint job does not damage the frame material)

In short - I think the sanding down is the risky part - if the painter is not familiar with the material.

my 2c

Guest Big H

It is all about exclusivity..... a thing very common to cyclists. Look are not really protecting their frames they are protecting their image. Bunch of hogwash I think. for 53 000-00 plus all the hardware you need to make a rolling bike out of it you can buy four cheaper .... even carbon brands, store them in the garage and see if you can finish those bikes in you lifetime.

Hierdie is suiwer jakkals prys sy eie stert tegnike wat die fietsmense UITBUIT.

Remember when Asterix went to Egypt to see cleopatra, Obelix climbed up the Sphinx and broke off the nose. There was this hysterical moment when all the souvernir shop owners looked up, saw the nose was broken and quikcly chooped the nose off their minuatures.

Volgende jaar is pers fietse met pienk pyle op weer die in ding en dan verkoop hulle basicly dieselfde raam met anner verf en elke fietsryer is weer bankrot...... pateties!!!!!!!!

. You'll discover that carbon as used on bikes, is impervious to paint stripper or any other chemical any of us have in our garages or under the sink.

You haven't looked under my sink...

It is all about exclusivity..... a thing very common to cyclists. Look are not really protecting their frames they are protecting their image. Bunch of hogwash I think. for 53 000-00 plus all the hardware you need to make a rolling bike out of it you can buy four cheaper .... even carbon brands, store them in the garage and see if you can finish those bikes in you lifetime.

Hierdie is suiwer jakkals prys sy eie stert tegnike wat die fietsmense UITBUIT.

Remember when Asterix went to Egypt to see cleopatra, Obelix climbed up the Sphinx and broke off the nose. There was this hysterical moment when all the souvernir shop owners looked up, saw the nose was broken and quikcly chooped the nose off their minuatures.

Volgende jaar is pers fietse met pienk pyle op weer die in ding en dan verkoop hulle basicly dieselfde raam met anner verf en elke fietsryer is weer bankrot...... pateties!!!!!!!!

Not only cycling- think about the fashion industry, cars (how many people upgrade to the "new shape" when they currently drive a perfectly acceptable "old shape" vehicle??)

It'll bankrupt you IF YOU LET IT.

IMHO ^_^