Recovery methods?

Hi StewieThere in you opening statement lies a problem.Going from zero to as much as possible will not take you from zero to hero.Over training can creep up on you quicker than you might think.Starting out gently and building up by 10 to 15 % a week is what you should try.Sleep is vital.Nutrition is more important than most guys take it granted for, a good recovery drink also goes a long way in helping.L-Glutamine is highly advised.Yip drinking is not good and will put you further back every time you get sloshed.As for recovery riding, yes it's a great concept and definitely works but ultimately it's just another day in the saddle at lower intensity.When you are in full training and you are in tune then do recovery rides.For now take a full rest day with no exercise but try and stretch.Don't do too much !!!!!!!!!!You won't get any fitter any quicker.My advise, when your muscles are hurting, you have done too much.But then again I am giving advise as a fun rider ;)

The keyword in my opening statement is "as possible". I'm carefull as too not overtrain.

That's why I'm looking for the best recovery methods. So that I can pick up the training a bit faster.

@Racing snail, you get it in powder form. It prevents the catabolic state of your muscles and a hard workout can also reduce your natural L-glutamine levels. So in essence, after a hard workout it helps you to recover faster.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The keyword in my opening statement is "as possible". I'm carefull as too not overtrain.

That's why I'm looking for the best recovery methods. So that I can pick up the training a bit faster.

@Racing snail, you get it in powder form. It prevents the catabolic state of your muscles and a hard workout can also reduce your natural L-glutamine levels. So in essence, after a hard workout it helps you to recover faster.

Thanks, the runners often speak of training twice a day to increase endurance and fitness quickly. Are there many cyclists who use this approach. The one run is very easy and the other is more intense. The RunnersWorld website is running a story on it at present.

The best recovery method I ever heard was as follows:

You stop the team bus on the side of the road in the alps, lie on the floor, and have the team doc infuse two units of packed red cells...

I've done it before. One hard session and one complete recovery session. Seemed to work pretty good.

The benefits are the same as for running

Stewie I am assuming you have tried that cold-hot-cold-hot shower thing, so it probably doesn't effect you. But for anyone else trying that BE CAREFUL if your body isn't able to increase the circulation that quickly, blood will stop going to your brain and you will pass out! Here I speak from experience.

Damn, never heard of that before. Luckily it hasn't happened to me before, but I am used to sauna and steam room, so maybe I've adapted a bit.

Also wouldn't recommend it for someone with a weak hart.

Thanks, the runners often speak of training twice a day to increase endurance and fitness quickly. Are there many cyclists who use this approach. The one run is very easy and the other is more intense. The RunnersWorld website is running a story on it at present.

I have done this and it's true.

Worked as mechanic at cycle shop while studying.

rode there in the mornings at reasonable pace but in the afternoons it was downhill and rode very hard too keep up with traffic.

My lungs burned like hell but was very fit in no time.

From being dropped on the hills I was in the final sprint at club races.

Then I stopped cycling!! :angry:

Hi

I am also doing three towers, would you be keen to do some training rides? Where are you based?

Get to your pharmacy, and buy a gel called IceMan.

Self massage.

Take a hot bath.

Stretch.

Massage in Iceman gel.

Preferably put on your compression pants (if you don't have any try going to the hospital dispensary for the knee high compression leggings they have, maybe affordable.

Elovate your legs while watching Le Tour.

Rinse and repeat.

monday - Buy one get one free burger at Spur

tuesday - Memo pizza special

wednesday - Wacky wednesday

thursday - ??

Vryday - Mac donalds

Saterday - braai + dop

Sunday - Veggies and roast

stay always recovered.. ;)

Self massage.

Take a hot bath.

Stretch.

Massage in Iceman gel.

Preferably put on your compression pants (if you don't have any try going to the hospital dispensary for the knee high compression leggings they have, maybe affordable.

Rinse and repeat.

Are these compression pants worth while or are they just a fashion that will pass.

Self massage.

Take a hot bath.

Stretch.

Massage in Iceman gel.

Rinse and repeat.

By FAR the best advice I have seen here. I have the same regimen.

Stewie it would help if you remember your shoes when you plan to do your next race ;)

Well at least I recovered the whole of saterday.

Got some more technical questions after reading a bit.

1. We need the cold shower/ice bath to contract the arteries as too flush out all the lactic acid.

2. Then there is the warming up again so the arteries can get wider for increase in bloodflow and deliver nutrition to the muscles to help recovery

Stop me if I'm wrong so far!!

Question: Which should happen first or doesn't it matter? And what recovery method helps for number 1 and which for number 2.

This is what I think:

Sauna (2)

Stretch (2)

Recovery ride (2)

Elevation ?

Cold bath/shower/ice (1)

Compression (1)

At the moment I do a warm down or stretch. Then cold shower and then steam room with legs in the air.

By FAR the best advice I have seen here. I have the same regimen.

Hell man..... whatever happened to a Windhoek and a boerie roll in front of the telly with your legs elevated in the appropriate reclining position? ;)