Recovery methods?

That beer n Boerie roll technique doesn't work for day after day racing! It's ok after a long ride if you plan to rest a few days.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So can we assume you have a structured training program leading up to the race?

Ride hard on the hard days easy on the easy training days.

Rather be too rested than too tired/fatigued (with a chance of getting sick) - but don't under-do it either :)

So can we assume you have a structured training program leading up to the race?Ride hard on the hard days easy on the easy training days.Rather be too rested than too tired/fatigued (with a chance of getting sick) - but don't under-do it either :)

I make up my program as I go along. But I do keep it structured.

I could follow normal advice, but I'd like to pick up my training faster, hence this thread.

Stewie, I think the odds are stacked against you if this is the route you planning on taking.

Whether or not you pick up an injury also has a lot to do with the condition you were in before the lay-off (ie what previous training you did, time you'd been riding or training, intensity of training , age, etc)

If there is no specific reason or race you need to get in shape for, I would strongly advise against the zero to as much as possible approach. In the long run, it might just count against you. Rather try a more reserved approach and include the sound recovery advice you already have. Starting from zero and pushing yourself as hard as you planning too is good for the interim. No amount of rest and recovery though will help if you overdo it too soon. But also dont be scared to push the envelope a little once or twice a week.

• 4 weeks later...

L-Glutamine, what is it and what form does it come in( powder or pills)? I have heard the name over and over again but actually have no idea!

L-Glutamine helps with protein metabolism and thus helps with the recovery process of the muscles (it prevents your muscles from being used as food when you do intense workouts), it boosts your immune system. I've used L-Glutamine in the powder form.

I'm going from zero training to as much as possible, but don't want to overtrain.

What recovery methods are out there?

So far I've got:

• Stay hydrated and good nutrition(especially after a workout)
  • Cold-hot-cold-hot shower after workout for increased bloodflow
  • Getting enough sleep
  • No binge drinking
  • Recovery sessions
  • Sauna

I've skipped compression and L-glutamine as I don't want to spend any money on it.

The best thing to do is train by means of step overloading: day 1 low intensity, day 2 medium intensity, day 3 regeneration (recovery). Then day 4 should be the same as day 2, day 5 as day 3, day 6 as the hardest session of the week. Day 7 should be a full rest day. The weeks should also follow the same pattern.

Stretching also works after a hard workout.

• 2 months later...

Reviving an old thread, but I think I've got my recovery sorted.

Did a 10km running race yesterday and afterworths I did the following:

Straight after the race took a recovery drink

Went to gym and warmed down on eliptical trainer for about 15min.

Got a smoothie from kauai and went to steamroom where I first stretched and then laid with my legs elevated.

After steamroom I took cold shower and put on compression pants.

This morning my legs felt fine and I went for a trail run.

Normally after such a hard run I would have very stiff calve muscles the next day.

Guest agteros

Reviving an old thread, but I think I've got my recovery sorted.

Did a 10km running race yesterday and afterworths I did the following:

Straight after the race took a recovery drink

Went to gym and warmed down on eliptical trainer for about 15min.

Got a smoothie from kauai and went to steamroom where I first stretched and then laid with my legs elevated.

After steamroom I took cold shower and put on compression pants.

This morning my legs felt fine and I went for a trail run.

Normally after such a hard run I would have very stiff calve muscles the next day.

After the race you can also try doing the following:

Go for an easy/slow cool down run (2km)

Eat something with protein and carbs (milkshake/Super M should work well) - although 10km is short enough that you would not have depleted you glycogen stores

Cool down the legs ASAP (hosepipe and cold water in the garden)

rub down, and a lie down

All very low tech, etc and most probably overkill, but then that is how runners approach things - nice and easy.

After the race you can also try doing the following:Go for an easy/slow cool down run (2km)Eat something with protein and carbs (milkshake/Super M should work well) - although 10km is short enough that you would not have depleted you glycogen storesCool down the legs ASAP (hosepipe and cold water in the garden)rub down, and a lie downAll very low tech, etc and most probably overkill, but then that is how runners approach things - nice and easy.

Yep, true. Mine was a bit overkill, but I wanted to be ready for trail run this morning and don't want to overdo it before 94.7 next week.

And the calve sleeves stewie ?

Wanted to run with them, but didn't know runners code as I haven't done a race in a while. :D

Will maybe use it next time

Glutamine is a supplement that promotes recovery. It is also a mild fat burner. Comes in powder form. Do not drink it by itself as it tastes ***. Mix it with juice or oros.

Yip, used to drink L-glutamine when I was running more few years ago. Also tried it with water, but as you said...