Falling with clipon shoes!

Clint Adams

You are not a cyclist........till you have fallen at a robot, because you forgot to unclip.. welcome to cycling

That reminds of the time I wiped out a neatly stacked pile of Sunday Times newspapers. The paper seller didn't think it was as funny as the people in the cars did.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also done it. You actually seem to fall harder if you are standing still. Or maybe the ego is just more hurt. I also have a couple of friend who have fallen with clipon pedals while standing still.

Been there done that - my first outing with my cleats was offroad at Tokai, which was propably not the brightest. I hesitated at a small drop off and stopped forgetting I was clipped in. Obviously (as Murphy would dictate) I fell down the slope and ended up on my back with my wheels pointing in the air!

Of course it's always funnier when you get to witness it happening to someone else. A buddy of mine was showing off and pulled a wheelie and went right over and couldn't get his feet out in time and landed flat on his back winding himself.

It's funny how in the internal "Do I laugh or check they're OK" debate that happens in the split second after an event, laugh wins out every time... :lol:

My wife has this down to an art. She always seems to fall (still clipped in) on some innocent bystander. Gets up and says: "I am glad to see that you are okay" before riding off as if nothing has happened. (Sorry to the lady at Bela-Bela MTB event earlier this year.)

I was visiting a girl I liked in Matric, just gotten cleats on the mtb a while back. So greeted her and clipped in but I was in a big gear so couldnt get momentum going. The electric gate track was built up to be level, so it was like a mini speed bump and I couldnt get over it.

Fell over sideways infront of her in the driveway, ego was hurt way more than my body, although I got cut by the chainrings, still have scars. She just canned herself laughing, didnt even help me up ! :P

Also had a few falls.

The 1st was the worst though and this on my 1st outing. Tried to impress my newly found cycling buds by going full blast up a very steep hill. Managed to go up about quarter way before realising I had no legs left to peddle further. Ended up in a suprisingly large bush of thorns of which a 100 or so ended up stuck in the leftside of my body. The mates were hysterical with laughter but helped patch all the holes and my very bruised ego.

hahaha, i'm cracking myself just thinking about it. it's actually very funny especially if there was people around

My first MTb race was wolsely with my new MTb and cleats . I proudly rode over to the registration table and stopped to fill in the entry forms when i noticed to my horror that my feat were in cleats. Falling in front of the whole damn field before the race was not cool :blink:

Cycled past a primary school on the way to work. While checking out all the mommies and flexing my calves, I forgot to unclip and did a sideways faceplant right at the main intersection of the school. Traffic stopped, mommies stared and I wanted to stick my head in a whole. Very embarrassing.

Yes I also fell, The day my wife got her bike, I showed her what to do, She was doing well, clipped out her Right foot and decided to get of on the left of the bike, well the rest...... Whaaaaaaaaa awesome!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

First day with the clip ons, i decided to try it inside my house, they were far too tight and couldnt get my feet out, i plowed into the tv cabinet, my girlfriend was laughing her arse off at me. The only other times i have fallen because of them is when they got jammed with mud or something, had to take my feet out my shoes and then kick the shoes off the pedals. I make sure my feet are clean before i clip in now.

Haha, having just come from the retro thread, nothing's changed since toeclips!

Problem is, wives and girlfriends can be notoriously insensitive about these matters. Besides laughing their heads off at ground zero, they have no qualms relaying these tales of woe to their friends.

Aah, the delights of real cycling!

3 months into riding clipped in...

2km into MTB ridee....

I stop and wait for Jnr to catch up...and instead of unlipping I pull up to a handy farm gate to place my hand on and maintain balance....

Looking smug and confident I reach out...grab the top of the gate...lean to compensate..and the freaking gate opens !!!!

Needless to say I fell over...legs up in the air and looking like a flightless fly ! Think the forest echoed with people laughing :)

Some time in the early 90's when races were often held from the Lynwood drive in, arrived at the Coke table full of smiles after riding a PB and promptly unclipped left and fell right.

Yip you guessed it, the whole Coke table over. The ladies manning it were covered in it and were not smiling :angry:

Fell for the first time tonight and not even while riding hard.

Bike came to a stand still and i forgot I had to loosen the cleat from the pedal.

LOL

The Guy @ my LBS told me it was gonna happen sometime.

Has this happened to anyone else????

Yeah, I just started too.

Had a grand fall at the traffic lights with 4 others riders and all of 50 cars at the intersection watching... Slowed down, stopped, ka-boom down I went... No injuries, just felt stoo-pid.

ClintAdam, this is normal. You'll get over it... :rolleyes: