Falling with clipon shoes!

Clint Adams

2 of my friends did a race last year. The 1 had been riding for years and the other doesn't cycle (he just borrowed his brothers MTB and decided to do a race).

They unpacked their bikes before the race and the newbie hopped on and starting peddling around the parking lot in a warm-up attempt. Had his first crash about a minute later... BEFORE the race. Could't get the feet out. One girl was convinced he was drunk.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode past a lady who fell at Die Burger, she was lying on her side and couldn't get her foot out of the pedals. Had to stop and give her a tap on the heel to loosen the cleat. Otherwise she'd probably still be lying there.

i fell twice, only sideways on a climb in first race with these pedals. 2nd time a guy asked me if I,m fine. Replied that its only my ego thats bruised. We had a good laugh and went on. But thats the thing about us MTB,ers, we get knocked down, but we get up again!

It was even more fun in the old days when we didn't have these clipless contraptions and had to loosen our toe clips at the traffic light to get the foot out - or just balance until it was safe to run the light.

fell at the lord charles robots vi almal om te sien! ha haa en 'n hele paar ander kere :)

dis ma deel van die opleiding :D

It was even more fun in the old days when we didn't have these clipless contraptions and had to loosen our toe clips at the traffic light to get the foot out - or just balance until it was safe to run the light.

Hey Linnega, good to see you're still active on the Hub. Thought we lost you for good...

I came close a couple times but never fallen because of my cleats. Now normal falling - that I do with alarming frequency

My mate fell before the start of a ride in the car park... cleats were far too tight. He fell in front of a group of people and lay on his back still cleated in with the bike on top of him. Looked like a cockroach in his death throes... very funny.

you only fell once???

man you learn quick.... After a month or two riding 'old school' i flipped it five times in Groennies on my first trip bolted onto the bike....

Funniest day of my life! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had a fall like that right after the starting line of my first Lion Man, but the funniest was a mate of mine at the Argus MTB earlier this year. Just before the finish line there was this wooden bridge, with the photographer snapping away as you go over. He came to a stop on top of the bridge to give the photographer ample time to capture his awesomness... and lost it right there. Ended up in the flowerbed next to the finish line to the applause of all the spectators.

My fist fall while clipped in was after overrotating on a wheelie attempt and landing on my back. Still clipped in bike in the air.

Second fall was a few days later after a race in front of everyone that stayed for prizegiving. The one guy gave me a standing ovation for my effort.

Fell for the first time tonight and not even while riding hard.

Bike came to a stand still and i forgot I had to loosen the cleat from the pedal.

LOL

The Guy @ my LBS told me it was gonna happen sometime.

Has this happened to anyone else????

Welcome to the club, we all have our funny incidents. Mine include falling at a stop street in front of my neighbours and falling constantly at Oak Valley.

Clint, also check how tight the pedal clips are, you might want to set them really weak at first and gradually set them.

The first time my mate uesed clipless pedals he was in his driveway talking to his neighbour holding onto the wall. He then wanted to get off the bike and could not clip out in time and ended up falling over and bruising his elbow badly :angry: . I thought that this was vey funny and could not stop laughing when he told me :lol:.

Two weeks later I was riding and my front wheel slid out on a clay mud section at speed. Wel the end result was I broke my clavical in half :unsure: and needed a plate etc.

As the say he who laughs last laughs the hardest. The moral of the story is dont laugh at a mate as it will bite you in the ass or shoulder or ego.

My fist fall while clipped in was after overrotating on a wheelie attempt and landing on my back. Still clipped in bike in the air.

Second fall was a few days later after a race in front of everyone that stayed for prizegiving. The one guy gave me a standing ovation for my effort.

Did the same two weeks before the Burger Sanlam. I popped a wheely a bit to hard and did a perfect 180. When my mate asked me if I was ok my first response was I dont know as I was in F-ing pain. This time it was not my ego that was bruised but my coccyx. Tried riding one week after the fall and it was dam sore. Going up hill was painfull.

Needless to say the 60km Burger Sanlam was not a fun ride for me as I was still feeling the after effects of the fall. Those dam hills in which I am normally strong were a real killer.

-1 I've never fallen with clipless pedals when starting out with them.

Same here. I practiced with one foot on the ground until I got clip in and out. Then practiced with the other foot. Only then did I try riding and clip in and out while moving.