No ammonia tyre sealant...best one?

Gerhardc

Plenty Sealants out there. Availability is the issue.

I have realised that STANS is probably the most obtainable sealant. This will need to be considered when its time for top-ups as you dont want to mix.

Where do you guys get OKO In CT?

Where does one get JB Ultraseal?

Every bike shops has STANS although there seems to be a dry spell on conversion kits.

Got my OKO from Rad006 when he was still peddling his stuff on the HUb...I believe one can get if from BMW workshops & garages...they also use it in their tyres...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a search on Hub...couldn't find anything...

Sick and tired of delaminating tyres....wanna try non-ammonia tyre sealant now....which is best??

OK, so I have purchased 2 bottles of Sludge Terrain Ammonia Free for R130.....that's for 2 mtb tyres....hope this stops my delaminating issues!!! :)

Got my OKO from Rad006 when he was still peddling his stuff on the HUb...I believe one can get if from BMW workshops & garages...they also use it in their tyres...

nope you can as far as I know...I have a mate and his wife that work for beemer and they don't seem to know anything about it...will check again tho

I also got mine from RAD006 then they moaned cos he sold all their stock in a short space of time.

In the Cape I have heard that you can get from Williams in SSW (Unconfirmed) and Bowmnans in the CBD.

I wanted something more fluid this time round.

I still have some that I got from rad...using non ust tyres and also need something more fluid...so I intend to mix stans and OKO together. OKO has loads of fibrous material in it so it seals bigger holes bigger, but you need hte fluidity of stans to get around the tire.

for example I had a small nick in the sidewall yesterday that OKO would not have sealed - the stans I have in the was very fluid and so I stopped and got the nick to the bottom and voila.

that being said you will find more opinions than there are products - everyone has a favorite. In the words of Malcolm Gladwell - there is no perfect product on perfect products....everyone has their own preferences.

Just of a matter of interest who has had tyres delaminate? And what make of tyre and sealant where they on.

I have used many different tyres with whatever sealant I can get my hands on Amonia and non amonia based and never had a problem.

Sealants - often mixed together:

Stans

Al's or is that Joe's Sealant - High amonia based

Some pink Raleigh stuff from Game

OKO

No Flats

Sludge

And my own Latex / windowlene solution

Tyres:

Contil Mountain Kings

Cont Race kings

Conti Speed kings

Michelin XC All terrain

GearX Saguaros

Kenda SB8

Kenda Karma

Tioga Yellow Kerin

Tioga Blue something or other.

Even a pair of Dunlop Sportsmans Wearhouse Slicks

I am just interested to find out if it is the sealant or maybe the tyre brand causing the problem.

from what I have heard and seen, Maxxis tyres seem to be the worst and mostly with Stans/Joes. interesting I happen to have a bottle of both stans and joes and the joes has a MUCH more pronounced ammonia smell.

Just of a matter of interest who has had tyres delaminate? And what make of tyre and sealant where they on.

I have used many different tyres with whatever sealant I can get my hands on Amonia and non amonia based and never had a problem.

Sealants - often mixed together:

Stans

Al's or is that Joe's Sealant - High amonia based

Some pink Raleigh stuff from Game

OKO

No Flats

Sludge

And my own Latex / windowlene solution

Tyres:

Contil Mountain Kings

Cont Race kings

Conti Speed kings

Michelin XC All terrain

GearX Saguaros

Kenda SB8

Kenda Karma

Tioga Yellow Kerin

Tioga Blue something or other.

Even a pair of Dunlop Sportsmans Wearhouse Sliks

I am just interested to find out if it is the sealant or maybe the tyre brand causing the problem.

Joes mixed with OKO.Kenda Nevegal

from what I have heard and seen, Maxxis tyres seem to be the worst and mostly with Stans/Joes. interesting I happen to have a bottle of both stans and joes and the joes has a MUCH more pronounced ammonia smell.

I use Stans/Joes and no Flats the about 80% of the time nowdays. But have never tried Maxxis tyres tubless.

I use Joe's with Maxxis Crossmarks all the time, never had a problem but ja maybe I just 'do it' right?

Ek het dieselfde ondervind met Maxxi's Monorail bande en Stan's. Ek het 2 gevalle gehad, die laaste een het ek die "bubbels" stukkend gesteek en die Stan's het sy werk gedoen!!! Ek was egter te bang om ver te ry en maar die band vervang. Ons groep koop baie bande(+- 12bande) op 1 slag en ek was die enigste 1 wat die probleem ervaar het??? Maar as julle my luck ken sal net ek die probleem bande gekry het?? :unsure: :blink:

I have had 2 x Larsen TT, 1 x Crossmark delaminate using Joe`s/Stans. Switched to non ammonia based for my current Monorail/Crossmark combo. No problems so far.

Did they delaminate?

A section on the back tyre about 250mm went spongy like a vrot sausage on sphincter hill on the Kalchal 2 years ago and leaked juice like a sieve.

I don't know if that qualifies as delamination :D

My son also had a similar experience with Nevegals and Stans.Now rides Geax Saguros with no problem

I changed to Captain Controls and have not had a problem since