Decline in race numbers

MooToo

All the ideas made above are true.  I also think that the "return on payment" (for lack of a better phrase) has dropped dramatically.  A few years ago ALL races had lucky draws, all aces had decent goody bags (not just the same old stuff) and very nice eats and drinks at the end.  But all this have changed (whether due to costs to the supplier/Slackness of the organizer).

Secondly I do think that the perceived perception that does exists at road bike races are not good.  Compare a MTB race where camaraderie etc exists to a road race.  Has anyone tried to approach pros or one of those guys, just for a chat?  You can, but the chances are slim.  On the other hand the MTB'ers are more approachable.

And then, lastly, MTBing is more of a family sport.  Dad and mom might be faster, but boet is better at the technical stuff, or maybe the other way around.  And the races are mass starts, so LittleBen can ride with BigBen for the first 5 km and not loose his bunch.

If you having a good day !! These youngsters are just to strong !!! This weekend we had 3 MTB races to choose from !!! We starting to race on Saterdays and Sundays now . But it is getting very expensive !

after the 2005 Ride for Site (huge bunches, crashes all over) and 2006 H2H (Huge bunches, crashes, incl. me) I have decided to boycott races which are f l a t and consist of wheelsucking, guttering and crashing.

Spinnekop, if crashes in flat races are the fault of the 'inecperienced riders' then explain the amount of crashes in the Tour, where the entire race group is smaller than a start group in any one of our big rages?? I mean if these guys F it up, then you just have to face the fact that flat route = large bunches = crashes.

Thats why I only race: small races or big races with plenty of hills AND road closure.

Gummy.

Good argument.

But I did not say it is the "inexperienced rider's" fault all the times! 

People make mistakes. 

Hell, I made one huge one this weekend!  We learn from it. 

But your odds are better in a bunch with experienced riders than with the fun riders.

As for Le tour.....Eat or be eaten!!  You FIGHT for a place in the paceline / gutter and the margins are so small and the racing so aggressive, there are bound to be crashes!!

And it is hard to concentrate when you eyes are crossed and you try to breath through your ears at 220HR!!!Wink