Cleaning a mountain bike

HACKNEYL

Need some advice PLEASE

Recently started MTB to complimet my triatlon training.

I ride only on dirt roads and no technical stuff.

No mud involved but lots of dust

I use a GT ZASKAR expert

The bike is very dusty and this cant be good in the long run.

How do I clean it and what do I put on the chain and other moving bits?

Many thanks

Just do what you do with your tri-bike. Nothing different because it's a mtb.

There are some stuff you need to pay more attention to on a regular basis, but I'm on my way so don't have time to explain sorry

I use a bucket with warm soapy water start from the top down, wet any mud that may be on the frame first so its easier to get off, rinse with Clean water I use a bucket aswell to save water and I have seperate clothes and sponges to seperate dirty and clean when all the soap and dirt is gone use Mr Min to polish up the frame using a soft cloth.

Parts it realy depends on how dirty they are, a greasy chain I use warm water and soap and scrub I prefer not to use solvents and my chain has a powerlink to make removal easier all of this is done off the bike in my case.

Relube using your favourite lube applying it sparingly, currently I use purple extreme, apply following instructions carefully, but after reading ChinL 5 review I'll try that next apparently its amazing product if applied properly.

Depending on your technical skills always helps to lube and inspect the cables and housing, shift up to the biggest vgear in the rear cassete release the cable by shifting down to the lowest gear with out turning the crank there should be plenty of slack in the cable to unhook the housing from the frame pull the end off the housing check if the inner metal linin is coming out if so have them replaced, apply lube to a cloth and wipe the cable (not to much) push the end back, rehook everything and turn the crank all should be okay, Mr Min has teflon in it therefore can be used to lube cavbles same process as above.

Invest in a cassettte brush it helps to get into the hard to reach places like the cassete.

Remember a clean bike is a happy bike.

The Do Not list:

What ever you do avoid doing any of the following.

Use a pressure washer close to the hubs, bb, headset or any bearing for that matter. Water gets in and realy messes thing up.

Use solvent like petrol or diesel, In extreme cases I have use parrafin to get stuck on bad grease off a cassete but this was done off the bike in a bucket. Chain is best cleaned with warm soapy water and elbow grease. Solvents dissolve out the lube/ grease inside the roller which is bad as it dam near impossible to get it back in there.

Scrub mud of a frame rather soak it until it comes off easy, the dirt gets between the cloth and frame and its like sandpaper and will leave nasty scratches.

Overlube the chain ,Rule of thumb aplly a drop on each roller, shift through all the gears or turn the crank a few times to force out any additional lube between the rollers (optional) and wipe off excess with a clean cloth (compulsary. I lube after a ride or after a cleaning session that way the bike is ready for the next ride dry lube has dried and wet lube will protect the chain and creek in by capiliary action ect.

Any other question feel free to ask or add anything I may have over looked or missed.

on that note - i have one of those coloured clusters - but it's so dusty you can't see the colours - hoe do you get through the spokes to behind the cluster to get the dust of there???

I use a bucket with warm soapy water start from the top down,

how long does this take you, mecnic? and how often do you do it?

i just clean the drivetrain and the shiny bits of the shocks (the parts that compresses) i do this after any dirty ride - which they all tend to.

Why do you overlube mecnic and why shift through the gears?

This only gets lube on the chainrings and cassette, which is now clean.

I always apply one drop on each link on the outside and inside of the chain. That's it.

@ Stewie 911:

Note: That ove lubing was on the do not list but I'll edit it to avoid further confusion. apologies If I gave the wrong impression.

I drop a small amount on the each chain link as well but ultimately there is some excess that must be wiped off, the shifting through the gears is just a habit of mine to make sure everything is running smooth and silent and to squeeze/force out any excess lube out of the rollers. Basically to ensure all is clean and ready for the next ride.

@ Cat I:

I clean my bike on average as follows

Dusty conditions: Once a week or fort nightly as it does pick up dust on each ride anyway.

Muddy bad conditions: As soon as possible and service it at the same time.

How long it take: It depends on how dirty my bike is a quick wash takes about 30 min then its just dusty. If it's really dirty takes quite a while, (we talking mud and gunk here) it takes longer because at the same time I service the bike as well stripping it down cleaning all the parts and re grease and re build everything. Cleaning the cassette I take it off as it is a hard to reach part and it so much easier to just take it off ivest in a cassette tool and a chain whip and have a mechanic show you how, basic bike maintanence is easy to learn and those skills are invaluable to any cyclist.

Cleaning the stantions (shiny bits) is great will help the fork alot there is no such thing as to much maintaince but don't fix it if it's not broke a clean fork and drive train is always a good thing to have.

@AapSkommel:

We all know chain lube is like religion here on the hub, I use to use Squirt and I switched over to Purple Extreme reasons to follow: Squirt builds up and is hard to clean especiallly if someone overlubes the chain ect and to get it off a rim is almost impossible. once it dried is dam near impossible to get off any thing with out a scrub brush and some type of solvent. (Mechanic, not me, overlubed my bike and messed on my rim and neglected to clean it or tell me)

The purple Extreme is working well so far I have read a few good review on the product and after my squirt clean up nightmare I made the switch almost the same Idea as Chainl 5 but not exactly.

I want to try Chain L 5 because of the great reviews I have read on the product (upwards of 5 different sources), after reading the marketing material on the product it makes absolute sense!

The price isn't to bad considering purple extreme is R110 at my lbs so R120 isn't to bad and you use a small amount so it should last a while.

I must admit that I think people who moan about it use it wrong, the application instructions are lengthy but still do it right and then voice an opinion, don't blame an operater error on a product.

Will get in contact with you to order some as soon as my purple extreme is finished and I have some spare cash. Will even right a review on it for you.

@ Mojo man

Thanks for that great tip. Never even thought of that.

A few more tips.....

Use a old syringe with a thick needle to lube moving areas on the derraileurs..... just enough oil here still lubes and does not create dust magnets (PS blunt the tip of the thick needle on sanpaper or you may get lubed!!!!)

Use a rubber band cut from an old tube to mark the spot where you start oiling

Get a clamshell type chain cleaner so you can effectively clean the chain. Use Cleen Green or Sunlight Liquid in the chain cleaner. Use a Power Link (said above) to remove chain for BIG cleans. Put the chain in an old waterbottle with hot water and some Sunlight Liquid and shake vigorously. Keep on repeating the process until clean.

Buy a set of brushes like the ones below. The brushes shown are made by Finishline, the set made by Pedro's are also not bad but not as good as the Finishline set. They work and make things easier. I also added a pic of a clamshell chain cleaner. This one is from BBB. Also go and look here what types of cleaning equipment is available..... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=243 ....... always nice to windowshop

post-24-068170400 1283580017.jpg

post-24-035456500 1283580038.jpg

on my google .. you okes either have way to much time on your hands - or you dont spend enough time riding.

the descriptions you guys give make it sound hectic - wash less, ride more! Make like stewie says - look after it the same way you would your tri bike.

Should be fine

@ Stewie 911:

Note: That ove lubing was on the do not list but I'll edit it to avoid further confusion. apologies If I gave the wrong impression.

I drop a small amount on the each chain link as well but ultimately there is some excess that must be wiped off, the shifting through the gears is just a habit of mine to make sure everything is running smooth and silent and to squeeze/force out any excess lube out of the rollers. Basically to ensure all is clean and ready for the next ride.

@ Cat I:

I clean my bike on average as follows

Dusty conditions: Once a week or fort nightly as it does pick up dust on each ride anyway.

Muddy bad conditions: As soon as possible and service it at the same time.

How long it take: It depends on how dirty my bike is a quick wash takes about 30 min then its just dusty. If it's really dirty takes quite a while, (we talking mud and gunk here) it takes longer because at the same time I service the bike as well stripping it down cleaning all the parts and re grease and re build everything. Cleaning the cassette I take it off as it is a hard to reach part and it so much easier to just take it off ivest in a cassette tool and a chain whip and have a mechanic show you how, basic bike maintanence is easy to learn and those skills are invaluable to any cyclist.

Cleaning the stantions (shiny bits) is great will help the fork alot there is no such thing as to much maintaince but don't fix it if it's not broke a clean fork and drive train is always a good thing to have.

@AapSkommel:

We all know chain lube is like religion here on the hub, I use to use Squirt and I switched over to Purple Extreme reasons to follow: Squirt builds up and is hard to clean especiallly if someone overlubes the chain ect and to get it off a rim is almost impossible. once it dried is dam near impossible to get off any thing with out a scrub brush and some type of solvent. (Mechanic, not me, overlubed my bike and messed on my rim and neglected to clean it or tell me)

The purple Extreme is working well so far I have read a few good review on the product and after my squirt clean up nightmare I made the switch almost the same Idea as Chainl 5 but not exactly.

I want to try Chain L 5 because of the great reviews I have read on the product (upwards of 5 different sources), after reading the marketing material on the product it makes absolute sense!

The price isn't to bad considering purple extreme is R110 at my lbs so R120 isn't to bad and you use a small amount so it should last a while.

I must admit that I think people who moan about it use it wrong, the application instructions are lengthy but still do it right and then voice an opinion, don't blame an operater error on a product.

Will get in contact with you to order some as soon as my purple extreme is finished and I have some spare cash. Will even right a review on it for you.

@ Mojo man

Thanks for that great tip. Never even thought of that.

Thanks I'm also new to mtb went out today for first ride at Rietvlei and will now need to clean my bike

on my google .. you okes either have way to much time on your hands - or you dont spend enough time riding.

the descriptions you guys give make it sound hectic - wash less, ride more! Make like stewie says - look after it the same way you would your tri bike.

Should be fine

I will give you a very simple answer..... when we were in the Army a wisecrack troepie asked the Staff Sergeant why we have to clean or rifles every day after practise as we are going to use them again tomorrow. The Staff said....... do you wipe your @ss everytime you shyte????....... because just now you are going to shyte again....... capice!!!!!!!

You now choose if you want a dirty bike and stand the chance of high maintenance costs or ride around with a bike covered in shyte!!!!!!!!! ...... and remember .... riding a dirty bike/ 4x4 etxc does NOT make you more macho.

A few more tips.....Use a old syringe with a thick needle to lube moving areas on the derraileurs..... just enough oil here still lubes and does not create dust magnets (PS blunt the tip of the thick needle on sanpaper or you may get lubed!!!!)Use a rubber band cut from an old tube to mark the spot where you start oilingGet a clamshell type chain cleaner so you can effectively clean the chain. Use Cleen Green or Sunlight Liquid in the chain cleaner. Use a Power Link (said above) to remove chain for BIG cleans. Put the chain in an old waterbottle with hot water and some Sunlight Liquid and shake vigorously. Keep on repeating the process until clean.Buy a set of brushes like the ones below. The brushes shown are made by Finishline, the set made by Pedro's are also not bad but not as good as the Finishline set. They work and make things easier. I also added a pic of a clamshell chain cleaner. This one is from BBB. Also go and look here what types of cleaning equipment is available..... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=243 ....... always nice to windowshop

Nice one there. I hate it when oil spill all over the place and I have to clean it up again. DOn't have a needle, but I'll just use a piece of pipe or something on a syringe