The 3de most obese country!

PRO-beerder

Don't get along with her...moved in, have a dog...dog barks at strangers and she complained-not in a nice way. Very miserable person.

And then the same person wonders why they get robbed!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: To put this into context, I am 1.89m tall. For me to be considered overweight, I would need to weigh more than 89kg. I weighed about 92kg in 1st year at varsity. I would not describe how I looked at the time as being fat, maybe just a bit chubby, but I was definitely overweight.

Fully agree Edman - the whole BMI thing is a load of crap. Especially for us taller guys.

If it is purely based on length and weight - its flawed.

Your body fat % and muscle mass needs to be taken into account

Please be careful of how data is represented. It can be very misleading.

I agree.

The only info I can find on the GSK survey is that it was done over 500 people. No mention of methodolgy or anything like that.

The IOL online article went so far as to have the headline "61% Obese in SA ". Disgustingly innaccurate and sensationalist when the actual statistic (mentioned in the very next line) is only that 61% of people are overweight.

Fully agree Edman - the whole BMI thing is a load of crap. Especially for us taller guys.

I know the feeling, 1.81 and I am overweight, worst of all a dude at a race this weekend said I looked 6 foot 4 on the bike :blink:

I think BMI can work pretty well for general statistics, even for tall people. I was definitely overweight at the time and I reckon that my fat % could have been around 22-25%.

My point was more along the lines that, to be considered medically overweight, you don't need to look massively fat. I'm thus not really surprised by the statistic that 61% of South Africans are overweight: even someone without much of a beer boep could fall into the overweight category.

I think BMI can work pretty well for general statistics, even for tall people. I was definitely overweight at the time and I reckon that my fat % could have been around 22-25%.

My point was more along the lines that, to be considered medically overweight, you don't need to look massively fat. I'm thus not really surprised by the statistic that 61% of South Africans are overweight: even someone without much of a beer boep could fall into the overweight category.

Agreed, and as you say the stats will be affected by this.

I know the feeling, 1.81 and I am overweight, worst of all a dude at a race this weekend said I looked 6 foot 4 on the bike :blink:

tell me about it. i've got the opposite problem - 1.5m short and according to the tables i hit overweight at 54kg and obese hardly heavier than that :-( (yep, currently i am obese :P )

if i go according to the BMI thing..i am on the brink of the obese line! cracker!!!!!

they take your weight into consideration but they did not say if it was with or without the bike! :D :D

Forget the stats (they are there just to create employment oppurtunities for those who are statisticly minded) :)

Next time you are in the mall feeding face at milky lane just look around and see all the unhealthy overweight specimens waddling around.

Lets not do the Souff Effriken thing and look for excuses....

Yes there are factors to take into consideration and yes certain population 'classes' should have number plates and make a "beep-beep" sound when they back that heavy load up...

BUT look around - what % of everyday you and me can really be considered 'healthy' and in shape.

I dont think a different "more" representative sample would have changed anything!!!

Now go buy fast-food and boost my shares!

see all the unhealthy overweight specimens waddling around.

BINGO!

But lets deny it, give it a fancy name, have the prez endorse it and then anyone who talks about it will be stoned to death by a mob!

Problem solved, oh sorry, what problem?

BINGO!

But lets deny it, give it a fancy name, have the prez endorse it and then anyone who talks about it will be stoned to death by a mob!

Problem solved, oh sorry, what problem?

Dammit!! I always wonder why in this day and age we cannot produce healthy food and snacks that taste as good as junk food.

Forget the stats (they are there just to create employment oppurtunities for those who are statisticly minded) :)

Next time you are in the mall feeding face at milky lane just look around and see all the unhealthy overweight specimens waddling around.

ha ha ha, waddling around...and they don't sit on chairs they hang over them :lol:

en dan is daar daai wat mos se: i am happy with who i am, big and happy, wel as jy tevrede is om 'n extra 50kg saam met jou rond te dra, dans dit fine by me...ek is net freakin bly dis nie ek nie!!! :)

PS en moenie waag om iets te se of om te staar nie want dan diskrimineer jy, want om oorgewig te wees is considered 'n siekte.. :)

Dammit!! I always wonder why in this day and age we cannot produce healthy food and snacks that taste as good as junk food.

kauai makes some nice stuff. otherwise woolies have nike little veggie "snack packs" with cucumber, carrot and stuff like sticks