Singlespeed simplicity

RodTi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just moved to London and the number of single speed bikes (old school and new) that you see being used for commuting is fantastic.

I am definately going to have to get myself another one soon.

Ja - I'm going to have to grow a pair before converting...

As it is, I hate climbing.

I guess that on a SS, I'll at least have an excuse :)

[Exits, closes door behind him]

Busy converting an old mtb to single, will keep the disk brakes and sprung fork. The cog is and old 8sp cassette that I removed for a bike I built up for someone, just grind off the pins and bob's your auntie. Spacers? I live in the bush so old cassette spacers will do for now, but I need to get proper spacers (where can I find them). Tensioner- I've got the old 8sp rd that I'll convert somehow, still thinking about that. Removed all the excess weight from the bike now, but I will have to work on the chainring bolts so that I can fit only one chainring on my crank.

Ja - I'm going to have to grow a pair before converting...

As it is, I hate climbing.

I guess that on a SS, I'll at least have an excuse :)

[Exits, closes door behind him]

IMHO and I am no SS expert, but I think most guys pick the wrong gear ratios, they choose a gear to give then some speed on the flats and the struggle on the hills.

My advice, pick the steepest hill on your route and then select a gear that will get you to the top almost comfortably, that will get you everywhere.

Dangle - replying off my phone, so cannot quote you - but that seems like a logical starting point.

I've been toying with the idea of picking a gear, front and back - and then taping my shifters up, to compensate for my lack of willpower!

Thinking of doing my usual route - and seeing how close to SS nirvana I can get, without all the proper modifications just yet...

Oh the horror... :)

Shocking.

Single speeds should be old school.

I have a converted Kinesis Raleigh RM9 single with vee brakes and my friends moan about how "new" and "hitech" my bike is.

Your first single HAS to be built out of spares available in your own house. The only "new" bits have to be gifts from friends or hubbers. You can't buy anything for your first single - thems the rules.

Am I at least allowed the SS conversion kit to convert the cassette... Please?

Dangle - replying off my phone, so cannot quote you - but that seems like a logical starting point.

I've been toying with the idea of picking a gear, front and back - and then taping my shifters up, to compensate for my lack of willpower!

Thinking of doing my usual route - and seeing how close to SS nirvana I can get, without all the proper modifications just yet...

Oh the horror... :)

This is a fantastic way to start and try it out, you will find it to be quite a thrill.

Shocking.

Single speeds should be old school.

I have a converted Kinesis Raleigh RM9 single with vee brakes and my friends moan about how "new" and "hitech" my bike is.

Your first single HAS to be built out of spares available in your own house. The only "new" bits have to be gifts from friends or hubbers. You can't buy anything for your first single - thems the rules.

Agreed Eldron. Built mine with all parts i had lying around. Even my tensioner is an old STX RD that i chopped up ;) Here is a pic of my SS :D

post-7810-060998700 1284577808.jpg

Your question seems more about simplicity than gear ratios.

Sounds more like you need an every day beater bike, that you can casually bang about. Jump on and go. Have leaning against the stairs on the stoep.

Yet it must be cool with one or two exclusive eye catching comps

Your question seems more about simplicity than gear ratios.

Sounds more like you need an every day beater bike, that you can casually bang about. Jump on and go. Have leaning against the stairs on the stoep.

Yet it must be cool with one or two exclusive eye catching comps

It's a bit of both, I guess...

I don't really know - thought I'd leave it kind of open-ended and see what came out...

It does appear as if my initial thoughts were confirmed - in that you won't necessarily get away with taking less tools with you, if you intend cruising off into the bundus on your SS...

I'm leaning towards something like the bike below (especially given that I have this frame, and a Brooks :P) - but would still want to thrash around the hills though...so maybe not a rigid fork!

Town/city cruising - and I reckon you can get away with the bare minimum...

post-1360-018171700 1284581306.png