Singlespeed simplicity

RodTi

I just remember that my tyres never lasted very long.

Amen to that... My dad used to get SO wound up!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not be really hard core and go single speed fixed wheel?

As mentioned earlier - mtb'er fixies are friggin nuts!

Shocking.

Single speeds should be old school.

I have a converted Kinesis Raleigh RM9 single with vee brakes and my friends moan about how "new" and "hitech" my bike is.

Your first single HAS to be built out of spares available in your own house. The only "new" bits have to be gifts from friends or hubbers. You can't buy anything for your first single - thems the rules.

why dont you try and make it difficult for me !

any other rules ?

is there anyway that a build can be done without a chain tensioner device thingy !

why dont you try and make it difficult for me !

any other rules ?

is there anyway that a build can be done without a chain tensioner device thingy !

You may be lucky and find you can get a chain the correct length and tension in vertical dropouts, but it's unlikely. Like the poster with the chopped rear der, you can make your own stuff, and be in keeping with Eldron's rules:

post-1604-095261900 1284608566.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed

Ahoy Rod, long time no speak...how you enjoying the Brooks?

Regarding gearing I ride 32 x 18 on a 29er and I've found getting up a hill is simply 1. learning how to pace yourself and 2. mind over matter. I rode the Wines to Whales on mine and had to get off twice up super steep bits where you couldn't keep momentum due to bikes ahead on the singletrack, I managed to ride absolutely everything else and I promise you I am no racing snake or power house. I can get up most if not all hills when riding socially with geared mates but you find your heart rate going through the roof so it really is a mind game and about pacing yourself. I personally wouldn't attempt something like Hell and Back or even Lourensford classic with it though, too much steep climbing, keeping it simple is one thing but geez, you still gotta enjoy yourself! Jonkershoek etc is perfect.

On my ss I leave a saddle bag with basic tools and 1 x water bottle so going for a quick after work ride is simply shoes helmet gloves and ride off. No mess no fuss, all the more so when it gets muddy in winter.

Just do it and remember to post some pics!

To everyone who asked if they can buy a tensioner....NO!!

Like a previous poster said - you take and old derailleur (mine was an Alivio), chop the second wheel off (the one at the bottom if the der. is on the bike) and voila - you have a tensioner.

Take an old cassette apart and then use the spacers from a number of old cassettes and voila you have one gear - move the spacers around to get a straight chain line.

Enjoy :D

As mentioned above it is rather nice if you can build your first SS out of hand me downs and / or spares old parts you have at home.

Next.

You are worrying too much about what the right look is on the SS ... wear what you wear on any other ride and take what you might need irrespective of the bike being a SS or not.

You need to ask yourself the question of "would I still think that riding my SS is cool even if nobody ever sees me riding it" and then you will know.

Now the fun bits.

Little to no noise from drive train, less drag from der's, no ghost shifts or grinding gears on wet and muddy rides, I just replaced my chain and free wheel on the SS for a whopping R160.00 and did not even have to set the gears afterwards.

Hills can hurt, but when they hurt too much you walk and get to see things you don't usually see.

Good Luck with the conversion and just ride the damned things and don't worry about anything other than still giving the little ones and your wife a hug and a kiss still before leaving.

Hairy

Your question seems more about simplicity than gear ratios.

They go hand in hand, you will never enjoy the simplicity of a SS if you can't get your gear ratio sorted, what's the point pushing a simple beautiful bike uphill.

RodTi - look at the end of the ride scenario too...

Geared bike:

Clean bike - all the nooks and crannies (plenty if its a full sus)

Dry bike - all the nooks and crannies (ditto above)

Clean Chain (could be split link, in parafine, good shake, leave to dry - if you that way inclined)

Clean cables (anywhere between 1 and 3 - if you have something for suspensin my bru')

Clean gears (anywhere between 1x9 to 3x10!!! Gear development is a beeeech)

Lube chain

Lube cables

Sit back, rest aching back (cause wife made you buy garden implements not that nice park tools bike stand) and drain beer..

SS Bike:

Clean bike - less nooks cause its a hardtail, super skinny steel and all and all cause its like ooober dude!

Dry bike - nah, to much effort after all the lass from the full sus rig

Clean chain....and

Lube chain

DONE

Stand back drain beer and think if wife will cotton on to the pedigree fluffy bloody dog is missing and that your bike has this new blue thing hold it up in the garage at eye level.... :rolleyes:

Either which way - you going to take all the necessary *** with you on your bike so you don't have to walk home (yes we have all had to do it and all felt like a **** cause you dress the part, road the part for 5km and then forgot that damn part on the kitchen table)

But keeping the single speed clean is so easy even that pedigree fluff ball can be used as the squeegee!!!

Happy trails ya'all!!!

Rad post. Thanks! :lol:

Ahoy Rod, long time no speak...how you enjoying the Brooks?

Regarding gearing I ride 32 x 18 on a 29er and I've found getting up a hill is simply 1. learning how to pace yourself and 2. mind over matter. I rode the Wines to Whales on mine and had to get off twice up super steep bits where you couldn't keep momentum due to bikes ahead on the singletrack, I managed to ride absolutely everything else and I promise you I am no racing snake or power house. I can get up most if not all hills when riding socially with geared mates but you find your heart rate going through the roof so it really is a mind game and about pacing yourself. I personally wouldn't attempt something like Hell and Back or even Lourensford classic with it though, too much steep climbing, keeping it simple is one thing but geez, you still gotta enjoy yourself! Jonkershoek etc is perfect.

On my ss I leave a saddle bag with basic tools and 1 x water bottle so going for a quick after work ride is simply shoes helmet gloves and ride off. No mess no fuss, all the more so when it gets muddy in winter.

Just do it and remember to post some pics!

Hey XTC1 - still smiling wrt to the Brooks - as is my behind ;)

Your side?

Thanks for your insights into the gear ratio - it gives me hope!

Will certainly make the change - but as mentioned earlier - this will probably be a long-term project...

I'm still a bit too reluctant to cross over to the Single-Side without the luxury of a 2nd bike - since whereas I'm convinced I'll take to SS like a duck to water - too big a part of me still reasons I'd like to have the option of being able to take out a 10x3 should I want to thrash...

With the arrival of our 2nd one, early in next year - cannot see myself making any major purchases too soon :D

really you lot are starting to get on my nerves ....... a ss or that DJ bike I was wanting .....

It all depends who you want to impress, the one will impress your mates and the chicks, the other one will impress your mates till they realise you might not know what to do with the bike :lol:

RodTi - look at the end of the ride scenario too...

Geared bike:

Clean bike - all the nooks and crannies (plenty if its a full sus)

Dry bike - all the nooks and crannies (ditto above)

Clean Chain (could be split link, in parafine, good shake, leave to dry - if you that way inclined)

Clean cables (anywhere between 1 and 3 - if you have something for suspensin my bru')

Clean gears (anywhere between 1x9 to 3x10!!! Gear development is a beeeech)

Lube chain

Lube cables

Sit back, rest aching back (cause wife made you buy garden implements not that nice park tools bike stand) and drain beer..

SS Bike:

Clean bike - less nooks cause its a hardtail, super skinny steel and all and all cause its like ooober dude!

Dry bike - nah, to much effort after all the lass from the full sus rig

Clean chain....and

Lube chain

DONE

Stand back drain beer and think if wife will cotton on to the pedigree fluffy bloody dog is missing and that your bike has this new blue thing hold it up in the garage at eye level.... :rolleyes:

Either which way - you going to take all the necessary *** with you on your bike so you don't have to walk home (yes we have all had to do it and all felt like a **** cause you dress the part, road the part for 5km and then forgot that damn part on the kitchen table)

But keeping the single speed clean is so easy even that pedigree fluff ball can be used as the squeegee!!!

Happy trails ya'all!!!

Thanks for MoreTrails... had me properly yearning for the conversion.... and a beer! :P

And for some unknown reason, saw Mr. Waters floating through my mind again (which is seldom a bad thing, I might add!): "It all makes perfect sense... Expressed in dollars and cents, pounds, shillings and pence!"

Hmmmm beeeeer. Haven't had one all week - darn flu! Beer goes with all bike servicing, seems to work like a penetrating oil on those sticky buggers. Or does it just make me stronger - Like Arnie! :D

Dude, single speed your steed and enjoy the simplicity. Just don't ride the out ride with that mate of yours that likes to climb hills...I did and I cried a little - B)