Singlespeed simplicity

RodTi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Took my recently converted SS bike for its maiden voyage yesterday. Some observations:

1. Average speed is way down - what normally takes me 37 mins for 15km ended up on 47 mins for same route.

2. Average HR was down by 10bpm - something to do with the free part of pedal, pedal, pedal, free

3. Gearing was spot on for my flatish route - 32 x 16 (26inche wheels) - I think offroad on a hilly route, 32 x 18 may be better

Some build observations:

1. The chainring bolts are too long when removing the outer ring - solution: the spacers from a road 42 chainring work perfectly.

2. Chain tension needs to be super tight, else slipage occurs (sorry Eldron, I bought a tensioner)

3. Deraileurs, cassettes and other gearing parephenalia weigh a lot...

Now if someone can tell me how to get rid of the whirring sound my disks make, I'll have a perfectly quiet ride...

post-15591-059118700 1285679964.jpg

Spent the weekend messing around on a Giant Simple...Harley Davidson looking single speed with pedal brakes. It was soooo much fun! It reminded me of being young and having fun on a bike.

Shocking.

Single speeds should be old school.

I have a converted Kinesis Raleigh RM9 single with vee brakes and my friends moan about how "new" and "hitech" my bike is.

Your first single HAS to be built out of spares available in your own house. The only "new" bits have to be gifts from friends or hubbers. You can't buy anything for your first single - thems the rules.

threw mine together from my box of spares and a few bargain bits off mates,

but needed the on-one tensioner to do it easy.

the frame i actually 'claimed' outside a london tube station, but that's another story

1. The chainring bolts are too long when removing the outer ring - solution: the spacers from a road 42 chainring work perfectly.

Got some chainring bolts from CRC for this. Now singlespeed.co.za sells them.

2. Chain tension needs to be super tight, else slipage occurs (sorry Eldron, I bought a tensioner)

I managed to get rid of my tensioner as the 32x16 makes my stretched old chain fit perfectly

3. Deraileurs, cassettes and other gearing parephenalia weigh a lot...

You also hunt for them in the beginning and then the ride becomes more enjoyable as you dont bother with gears. This will translate into pushing harder on the hills as you dont bother with gears until you really need too.

I managed to get rid of my tensioner as the 32x16 makes my stretched old chain fit perfectly

Some guys like it tight, some don't, if you press your chain in the middle down above your rearstay, it should move about 10mm.

Love riding SS!

Put on baggies and top, helmet and gloves, click in Garmin Edge 705, grab a water bottle and off I go :)

Out of interest how many SS riders do we have up here in Gauteng?

Would be fun to have a "race" like this (http://www.nomambo.net/raceofthedead7_13.pdf)

Here is my rigid ss at Mankele bike park.

http://imgur.com/5DzCm.jpg

http://imgur.com/kMReU.jpg

I am busy converting my GT mtb to single speed at the moment,i have bought a new rigid fork for the project.I am looking forward to the finished result.

Yeeeha! Admin's given a whole forum to Fixies and Single-speeds! It's a small step towards world domination!

Does anyone know where to get "halflinks"?

This assists in getting the chain just that much tighter or looser so no need for tensioner. Also have a look here http://www.trickstuff.de/index.php?p=d116en1

CRC sells half links. The problem I have thought with a "magic gear ratio" or using a half link, is when your chain get's stretch a bit, you cannot easily tension is up

again, without breaking the chain and removing a link etc.