Dropped!

Mr Legs

My dad did a ride from somerset west to stellies once. On the last hill he got caught by a brown dude on a dikwiel with a ciggie saying "more my larney" as he missioned past. My dad rode the last bit and phoned my mom to come fetch him. Ride over.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I often get dropped by these little blondes with pigtails on the hills.

Ja, but they weigh nothing - it's all about power to weight ratio B)

Look, Wannabe, those commuter dudes has some serious base mileage all year round! :D

All you did was add a bit o' intensity that morning. Sweet!

Ja, and when he moved over he had to weelsuck for 20KM to recover :)

Chatted to him once, he was given the bike a few years ago and also someone took him to ride the Argus a few years back if I recall correctly. He commutes everyday, rides really strong, where is the PPA to help guys like these.

Looks can be deceiving.

Training for Ironman believing I was superfit with an ego to match it.....got put back into place properly by a guy in shoes and longpants with his lunch box in hand on his way to work.

Still seeing my therapist :rolleyes:

hehehehehe - had a good laugh reading this

and i completely sympathize, i know, i have been there many times.

It actually happens quite often here in Holland, mainly cos the roads are generally flat especially where i train so you can churn out some nice miles and a decent speed only to notice that you have the entire girls church choir sitting on your wheel not even breaking a sweat - how humiliating and i thought i was going quick - hehehehe

i do hate those part timers that kick my butt as well - lol

Damb i dont feel so bad . This happened to me a while back on Atlas road on my morning ride , as i turned onto atlas heading towards Boksburg i saw this dude on a P n P special road bike , bars turned up and cruzing. I shot past him on my bling and minding my own bussiness continued with my ride. 2km or so further i hear this clinkaty clinkkaty sound look back and its bars up dude ( it was still very early in the morning so all i mainly saw was this big mounth full of teeth smiling at me ).

So calmy turned back and uped the tempo a bit and thought that would sort him out,i had not gone 1km and "clinkaty clinkaty" was back on my wheel.DAMB !!! what the hell !! so put the hammer down some more , by this time we were doing about 40km/h . This carried on till i turned off Atlas at Northrand with this punk still on my back wheel . Blown buy the time i turned I looked back and got this big wave good by with white teeth showing .

Bianchi R 40 000

Kit R 1500

Shoes R 2500

Helmet R 2500

Being dropped by a guy with his bars turned up on a bike that has done more milage than all the cars i have ever owned put together and is worth R 100.

PRICELESS !!!!

I certainly feel much better now, I thought I was the only one being dropped by tiny blonds and worker guys.

I particularly enjoy going onto Atlas Road during the week with my Mountain Bike (I am a roadie), I wear baggies and a T Shirt and just generally try to look as much like a beginner as possible.

Then they come past me - AFTERNOON - afternoon I say and then tuck in for about 20 meters to get up to speed and then hit the front dragging their sorry asses for the Atlas Road stretch - the expressions when I say "Sorry guys this is my turn" is priceless.

1991 army in kimberley.some of the okes thought they were superfit and decided to go for a long ride on a day off towards barkley west from kimberley.my roommate phoned a while later and asked to come and fetch him.i went as i thought mechanical.picked him up in my old bantam bakkie and he was very quiet.after many beers the evening and some stroh rum the story unfolded from the rest of the bunch.they were according to them going very fast and this local with roadbike and boots with overall rode them all in their moer.my friend duly dropped out and said if this was how cycling worked he wanted out as he thought his training was going great guns only to be dropped by the local.it later transpired that the local lives in barkley west and worked at kooperasie in kimberley and that was his mode of transport.it took my friend a long time to start cycling again and he never ever went out on the barkley road again.do not judge a book by it's cover and as my coach at varsity always said:the wider the base the higher the peak.

I particularly enjoy going onto Atlas Road during the week with my Mountain Bike (I am a roadie), I wear baggies and a T Shirt and just generally try to look as much like a beginner as possible.

Then they come past me - AFTERNOON - afternoon I say and then tuck in for about 20 meters to get up to speed and then hit the front dragging their sorry asses for the Atlas Road stretch - the expressions when I say "Sorry guys this is my turn" is priceless.

Sorry, but I am calling BS on this one.

I mean, what are the chances of a roadie greeting a guy on a MTB? What do you take us for?

ha ha too true - they do strangely enough seem to be a more friendly bunch during the week for some reason or the other

Mostly only on weekends that they put their ugly suits on and attempt to measure dick size for 3 hours straight

I was riding up Table Mountain from Rhodes memorial to the King's blockhouse a couple of years ago, when a gray haired gentleman that I estimated to be about 60, asked me for directions to the lower cable station. The meandering jeep tracks up there are a little complicated and I was pushing hard and didn't want to wait for him, so I offered to draw him a large arrow in the dirt where he had to turn right. He was riding a very plain looking bike with a carrier on the back, wearing a t-shirt and slip slops, not looking like he would get up any hill at all. When I stopped to make his direction sign, I realized that he had been sitting quietly on my tail all the time. That's when I started paying attention and struck up a conversation that turned out to be totally fascinating. He was from Norway and had spent the previous 2 years riding from the north of Alaska to the southern tip of South America, mostly on his own. He was in Cape Town to start the next leg back home to Norway and rode from his hotel in the city centre to Kirstenbosch for the day . Going back to town he tried to avoid the traffic and simply went along the lower slopes of the mountain. His panniers were at his hotel and his cycling shoes were in the shop to be repaired. I spent at least a half hour asking questions about his trip and eventually rode with him to the lower cable station and only went back home because it was getting late and I had no lights with me. I must admit, I had some thoughts about simply riding of into Africa and the world with him without telling anybody, but eventually the thought of missing my two boys a lot and my wife (a bit) forced sanity to prevail.