RH in latest RIDE mag on Powertraining

Guest Big H

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big H has little or no understanding of the use of power meters as a training device in cycling (or the relevance of their claimed accuracy) as he clearly demonstrated with his earlier comments - he is just having some fun (as is his way)

Ja, donker afrika kan eensaam raak die tyd van die jaar.

Bruce, my explanation if this (first principles)- your heart beats, the HRM (Polar, powertap, SRM, whichever brand) picks it up and reflect that on the HRM Screen. Its almost binary in a sense in that it happens, or not. Long story short - Absolute occurance on a binary concept

You pedal - you generate power. The SRM measures this at the Spider, The Ergomo at the crank, the polar on the chain and the powertap at the HUB. Given that a small bit of power is lost between the pedal and the crank, the crank and the chain, the chain and the cluster, the cluster and the spokes and the spokes and the rim, surely it makes sense that you can expect small variances. Long story short - Relative occurance on a variable concept.

Big H - this is my Starexplanation. If you want the Evil%20Smile version, do indicate your preference and I will be happy to provide......

Big H has little or no understanding of the use of power meters as a training device in cycling (or the relevance of their claimed accuracy) as he clearly demonstrated with his earlier comments - he is just having some fun (as is his way)

Ja' date=' donker afrika kan eensaam raak die tyd van die jaar.
[/quote']

Did someone say Carbon Dating?LOL

Ja' date=' donker afrika kan eensaam raak die tyd van die jaar.
[/quote']

Did someone say Carbon Dating?LOL

Moenie stir nie, oumense raak maklik omgekrap as die seisoen draai, iets te doen met die hitte.

[quote=bruce

Measuring power accurately is not rocket science' date= it is quite easy.  One would expect that a unit that you pay thousands, if not tens of thousands of rands for, should be capable of measuring power output to within a couple of percent accuracy!
[/quote]

This is exactly what Big H is saying!

Which is precisely what reputable power meters do!

If I take a thermometer and measure the temperature at the top of a fridge and the bottom of the fridge and I find that the bottom is 1 degree colder than the top (which makes perfectly good sense).  Is the thermometer faulty?  Is the fridge a cr@p fridge?  NO - it's just that cold air sinks so the bottom of the fridge will be colder than the top.

Guys, these are simple concepts that are being ignored for the simple purpose of stirring ****.

Oukei so Brucie jy se dat powermeters moet op die handlebars gemount word om beter lesings te gee as gevolg van die hitteverskil??????? Boetie dit maak nog mider sense as al jou en Pieterjie se verduidelikings?????? Ek raak nou net al hoe meer deurmekaar. Begin asseblief van voor af toe!!!!!!!

Vir nou sal ek maar die common aanmerkings van die Boksombende lid en die wet paint mannetjie ignore!!!!!!! Sjoe en al die venynigheid net omdat hulle nog sukkel om groot te word.
Big H2007-09-12 14:26:49

[quote=bruce

Measuring power accurately is not rocket science' date= it is quite easy.  One would expect that a unit that you pay thousands, if not tens of thousands of rands for, should be capable of measuring power output to within a couple of percent accuracy!
[/quote]

If I take a thermometer and measure the temperature at the top of a fridge and the bottom of the fridge and I find that the bottom is 1 degree colder than the top (which makes perfectly good sense).  Is the thermometer faulty?  Is the fridge a cr@p fridge?  NO - it's just that cold air sinks so the bottom of the fridge will be colder than the top.

Guys, these are simple concepts that are being ignored for the simple purpose of stirring ****.

Oukei so Brucie jy se dat powermeters moet op die handlebars gemount word om beter lesings te gee as gevolg van die hitteverskil??????? Boetie dit maak nog mider sense as al jou en Pieterjie se verduidelikings?????? Ek raak nou net al hoe meer deurmekaar. Begin asseblief van voor af toe!!!!!!!

Vir nou sal ek maar die common aanmerkings van die Boksombende lid en die wet paint mannetjie ignore!!!!!!! Sjoe en al die venynigheid net omdat hulle nog sukkel om groot te word.

Big H - if you want an open discussion then write in English (but obviously if you want to limit the opposition then write in Afrikaans Wink)

[quote=bruce

[/quote]

Big H - if you want an open discussion then write in English (but obviously if you want to limit the opposition then write in Afrikaans Wink)

I will translate.. basically he is talking twak again! but I think what he is trying to  say is that he realised he is wrong and that he cant believe it took him so long to grasp it all...in his own words of course, a bit confusing.

This is an open forum and I am not bound by rules to spiek ienglish. Jy beter eerder Afrikaans leer want iemand wat Afrikaans praat mag dalk metertjies en foefies by jou wil koop om te kyk of hy genoeg krag opwek om sy hoenner in die mikrogolfoond gaar te maak.

This is an open forum and I am not bound by rules to spiek ienglish. Jy beter eerder Afrikaans leer want iemand wat Afrikaans praat mag dalk metertjies en foefies by jou wil koop om te kyk of hy genoeg krag opwek om sy hoenner in die mikrogolfoond gaar te maak.

Now he is saying he is going to buy a powermeter!#!@#

[quote=bruce

[/quote]

I will translate.. basically he is talking twak again! but I think what he is trying to  say is that he realised he is wrong and that he cant believe it took him so long to grasp it all...in his own words of course, a bit confusing.

Boksombendelid dit vat nie 'n laaitie soos jy om voor te skryf wat ek dink nie. Pietertjie moet maar die taal leer. Sies verkoop hy dan net sy goettertjies aan ingilse????????

Boksombendelid dit vat nie 'n laaitie soos jy om voor te skryf wat ek dink nie. Pietertjie moet maar die taal leer. Sies verkoop hy dan net sy goettertjies aan ingilse????????

I am not sure whether there are power meters for tandems, but if there is, I think there is a weight limit LOL.. not sure ask Bikemax.

Nee Big H, die beste plek om temperatuur te lees is in een van die liggaam se holte, die een wat op die saal sit, en die selfde een waar uit u gereeld praat!

Nee Big H' date=' die beste plek om temperatuur te lees is in een van die liggaam se holte, die een wat op die saal sit, en die selfde een waar uit u gereeld praat!
[/quote']

Bruce dit is nie die tyd of plek om nou nasty te raak nie....... mens se u vir die landdros as jy verskyn vir parkeerkaartjies wat jy nie betaal het nie.