RH in latest RIDE mag on Powertraining

Guest Big H

Is dit MWNN op jou Avatar????? ...... lyk nogal na hom

dis Mr Bean, oom sal groot skrik as oom hom met 'n kersfees vader baard sien.

epoh2007-09-12 15:08:00

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oukei, the power to the people, people have not really convinced me....... I wil now just wait untill they make another stupid statement that shows their powermeters are just a new fad.

I see in his Palmares they say that he generates 1500W "depending what powermeter he uses" Are these things so primitive and inaccurate??????? HR monitors work to EKG standard. Yikes with all the hype and the excessive costs involved one would expect some sort of standard with these higgly piggly powermeters??????

Sometimes during lab tests riders are not allowed to stand up wheb doing a maximal sprint/power tests. The bikes will not take the stress. Maybe that is what he meant.

Why arent you putting the riders weight into the equation? Surely that affects your power, i.e the bigger the rider, the more power? But thats not to say the bigger guy is going to sprint faster... I think you should look at that max in w/kg and not just watts

Oukei so Brucie jy se dat powermeters moet op die handlebars gemount word om beter lesings te gee as gevolg van die hitteverskil??????? Boetie dit maak nog mider sense as al jou en Pieterjie se verduidelikings?????? Ek raak nou net al hoe meer deurmekaar. Begin asseblief van voor af toe!!!!!!!

Vir nou sal ek maar die common aanmerkings van die Boksombende lid en die wet paint mannetjie ignore!!!!!!! Sjoe en al die venynigheid net omdat hulle nog sukkel om groot te word.

Nee Big H' date=' die beste plek om temperatuur te lees is in een van die liggaam se holte, die een wat op die saal sit, en die selfde een waar uit u gereeld praat!
[/quote']

Bruce dit is nie die tyd of plek om nou nasty te raak nie....... mens se u vir die landdros as jy verskyn vir parkeerkaartjies wat jy nie betaal het nie.

Toe ek klein was, het my Afrikaans onderwyser my geleer dat ek moet die woord 'u' gebryk wanneer ek 'n mens wat ouer as ek adres.  Iets omtrent 'n teken van respek. Miskien het u die les ontrent respek gemis, of was dit so lank verlede?
bruce2007-09-13 02:23:41

Oukei' date=' the power to the people, people have not really convinced me....... I wil now just wait untill they make another stupid statement that shows their powermeters are just a new fad.[/quote']

There are none so deaf as those that will not hear.

At the end of the day, it means nothing to me that you are not convinced.  The Flat Earth Society are still not convinced that the earth is round.  All you are succeeding in doing is demonstrating your complete ignorance, which surprises me because at times you seem to display intelligence in your humour.

between the pedal and the crank' date=' the crank and the chain, the chain and the cluster, the cluster and the spokes and the spokes and the rim,

[/quote']

EN DIE GROEN GRAS GROEI DAAROM!!!!

Oukei' date=' the power to the people, people have not really convinced me....... I wil now just wait untill they make another stupid statement that shows their powermeters are just a new fad.[/quote']

There are none so deaf as those that will not hear.

At the end of the day, it means nothing to me that you are not convinced.  The Flat Earth Society are still not convinced that the earth is round.  All you are succeeding in doing is demonstrating your complete ignorance, which surprises me because at times you seem to display intelligence in your humour.

OK, been through this whole joke!  Number 1, Oom H is stirring, AGAIN!!  Sometimes I get the feeling that he makes a decision, right or wrong, and to hell with the what the experts say about it, he's word is law.  But then, does that mean that all "padmakers" are stealing funding and are lazy people?  I think so 'cause look at the state our roads are in!  (Oom H, nou slaat ek jou met jou eie logika!)

Secondly, I don't have an all fancy Powertap or wharra wharra, funds wise I just can't afford it.  But I do use a Polar Power Meter, and to see the difference in power output at certain cadence speeds, etc., the power on different climb inclines, etc makes it a huge help in training.  So no oom H, the power thing works, period!

Lastly, oom H, het jy geweet jou Polar is ook redelik uit?  I tested it the other day at the sisters work.  Had the Polar on, did some steps. While checking the Polar she put a cardio thingy on me that they use in ICU.  There was a difference of 3 - 8 BPM between the two!  So die Polar is ook maar ***!

I accept that different power meters can give diferent readings depending on where the measurement is taken, ie crank, hub or chain. However and this is the important point, the purpose of a power meter is to measure the power put out by the rider and not the stess put on a certain point on the bike. As such power meters should have a means to calibrate the devise to reflect the power put out by the rider, irrespective of where the measurement was taken, this would mean that all meters would provide idential readings.

I accept that different power meters can give diferent readings depending on where the measurement is taken' date=' ie crank, hub or chain. However and this is the important point, the purpose of a power meter is to measure the power put out by the rider and not the stess put on a certain point on the bike. As such power meters should have a means to calibrate the devise to reflect the power put out by the rider, irrespective of where the measurement was taken, this would mean that all meters would provide idential readings.[/quote']

Unfortunately this is not feasible, because there are external factors that will influence this.  Drive train efficiency will vary significantly if the chain is not lubricated, is worn, etc etc.

From a measurement perspective, and error of less than 2% is acceptable when comparing data because we do not draw conclusions about training from such small variances.

No instrument is 100% accurate, and there comes a point where further accuracy is not economically feasible, and provides diminishing returns.  SRM have 3 models, Amateur, Professional, and Scientific.  For the purposes of most riders the amateur is probably sufficient, and is rated to an accuracy of < 5% (provided it's calibration is properly maintained).  The professional model is rated to 2% (again, provided that it's calibration is properly maintained).

These accuracy levels are within the daily variance of the human body, so there is not much point in trying to measure it more accurately than this. 

There is a concept of "good enough", and power meters should all be within this qualitative metric.

bruce, bikemax, you're wasting your good efforts here. You are trying to convince a toyota bakkie driver that the multifunction steering wheel in your F1 cockpit is good for what it was designed for, while the good oom H has absolutely no reference or concept of what you, us, we are talking about.

Oompie, daai Mr Bean uitdrukking van epoh moet wees hoe jy jou gevreet trek as jy al hierdie goed lees. Plak so 3 kilos baard op sy bakkies vas en dan is jy, ek boedel u, edelagbare, daar
Man with no name2007-09-13 02:24:15

bruce' date=' bikemax, you're wasting your good efforts here. You are trying to convince a toyota bakkie driver that the multifunction steering wheel in your F1 cockpit is good for what it was designed for, while the good oom H has absolutely no reference or concept of what you, us, we are talking about.

Oompie, daai Mr Bean uitdrukking van epoh moet wees hoe jy jou gevreet trek as jy al hierdie goed lees. Plak so 3 kilos baard op sy bakkies vas en dan is jy, ek boedel u, edelagbare, daar
[/quote']

I'm afraid you are right!

From wikipedia:

"In the context of the Internet, a troll is a person who

makes inflammatory or comments, which by effect or design cause

disruptions in discourse, or a post made by such a person. Trolling can

be described as a breaching experiment, which, because of the use of an

alternate persona, allows for normal social boundaries and rules of

etiquette to be tested or otherwise broken, without serious

consequences."

I also found a dutch definition for BigH:

"In een internetomgeving is een Troll een persoon die