29" MTB

Perot

Anyone ride a 29" MTB?  Any thoughts on the best entry level 29" bike is and what I should expect to pay?

GT Peace 9er single speed - R5' date='500

20070910_063441_peace9r1.jpg

[/quote']

Wow, that is a nice looking bike, but I can't help thinking it looks just like a BomberLOL

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw one of these GT's Illovo cycles a few weeks ago . The bike was also spotted going up the Spruit a few weeks ago .

Sequoia: Do it! The Asylum is a Titus' date=' it's not like a Titus, it is one! The new Titus' come out with a stock ali 29'er! I have a titanium one and it is simply a beauty to ride.[/quote']

And a beauty to look at! I spent close to 2hrs on Ti's Titus in December. Having owned the 26er version of the Racer X for 2yrs I can assure you it makes a VERY noticable difference. That thing was f_ing fast! Handling isn't affected from what I could tell.

I discussed getting a Vicious Cycles Groover(steel front triangle with a Titus Racer X ali rear....at that stage only available in 26er....now also as a 29er) with the guys from Speedgoat Cycles and they told me flat out to get the 29er. Their entire race team was on them and they were convinced that it was beyond any doubt the fastest and most efficient xc full susser available.

If you look at the amount of top quality brands these guys stock and the fact they can have any of them, that says quite a bit.

para' date=' would a short **** like me - i ride a small 26er - be comfortable on one?[/quote']

Generally from what I've read they're not recommended for riders shorter than 5'7" i think....can't quite remember

And finally I leave you with this quote from some guys on MTBR's signature....."You know all those spam emails you get about adding an extra 3 inches, well it really works...... try a 29er and feel the difference.."

This is of course a bit late, but I guess if you really wanted to start a fight, you could've enquired about putting on a "29 in front, and keeping a "26 at the back.... Evil%20Smile 

This is of course a bit late' date=' but I guess if you really wanted to start a fight, you could've enquired about putting on a "29 in front, and keeping a "26 at the back.... Evil%20Smile 

[/quote']

kinda like mullet: business in front party in the backLOL

Can't really, you have to have a bike designed for that, I have considered it for lap racing but am gonna stick to my bike rather.

This is of course a bit late' date=' but I guess if you really wanted to start a fight, you could've enquired about putting on a "29 in front, and keeping a "26 at the back.... Evil%20Smile 

[/quote']

It's called a 69er from Trek.

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/images/shop/pfullsize_580_1162479309.jpg

I've done some riding on a Gary Fisher 29er and 26er (both hardtail and dual suss). That's riding all four bikes one after the other. For tight stuff, the 29er takes more effort to manoeuvre, but rolls great on the open stuff. Probably a good choice for a race like Karoo to Coast. I'm short (1.74m) and must say that I preferred the 26ers. That could also be because I've spent the last  17 years riding 26-inch MTBs. Apparently 29ers are more appropriate for taller riders (like TitusTi).

The single-speed, steel-framed, rigid-fork, 29-inch trend? Go back 20 years and that's all we had in SA. Trends come and go in er, cycles...

Schwalbe has just released a 29' Racing Ralph and Smart Sam

When are they landing?

should be here the end of next week.

*crossing fingers*

*not holding breath*
Shamus2007-09-11 09:54:13

Thanks for all the responses to my original post.  I've managed to glean some valuable info. 

Just to clarify for any newcomers to the post - I'm interested in a 29" MTB as an alternative to the normal 26" - I'm NOT interested in the 29" single speed  NOR in the '69' option (well not with/on a bike anyway). I also don't have money trees in my garder so a Titus is a bit beyond my budget - as mouthwatering as it is

Solomon?s are advertising a <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Gary fisher 29?hardtail with a Marzzochi shock and 9 speed Shimano for R6000. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />