Moreletta Spruit?

Zaskar09

Hey guys,

I see there's a route called Moreletta Spruit in PTA. Where exactly is it? Would like to go and check it out. Any detail would be appreciated ie. safety (probably most important these days), technicality, distance etc.

Thanks a lot!

Not safe at all !!! Use to be a awesome place to ride many,many moons ago . Now even the cops are to scared to go there .

It used to be a great trail as Dirt Rider said, but is not currently ridable. The municipality erected palisade fences before and after each road crossing, which basically closed off the trail sections.

I've been in contact with David Boshoff from Groenkloof and they are busy to try and reopen these trails, so we will hopefully be able to rider there again soon.

I did the hiking trail with the voortrekkers a long long time ago. . . I think. Just can't remember where it starts but we ended at the pioniers musuem in Silverton. Am I thinking of the right one?

Rode there loads as a kid on my bmx and later on Mtn bk. Would be great if it reopens and is safe for MTN biking. There are (used to be) loads of single tracks next to the moreleta spruit thanks to our single track makers out there doing a great job without even knowing it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

hi all we are busy developing new trails in Tshwane, on council property,if you have any suggestions (on the spruit),let us know and we will mark it out and do the nessesary maintenance.

david

hi all we are busy developing new trails in Tshwane, on council property,if you have any suggestions (on the spruit),let us know and we will mark it out and do the nessesary maintenance.

david

Reckon it would be awesome to have a similar set up to the "Spruit" in Jhb right here in Pta East

Some of the tracks running from the Moreleta Nature Reserve to the Faerie Glen Nature Reserve are still visible and with a little maintenance and maybe a bridge or 2 could be really awesome - I for 1 would ride them and would be more than willing to lend a hand in maintaining them :rolleyes:

David please let us know if you need help building new trails, would gladly help out where I can and with maintanence, as I'll be riding these allot

I don't live that side, but one of the best things could be the reopening of Moreletta Spruit.

If it's utilised by enough people the safety issue could be mitigated to a large extent.

Braamfontein Spruit is a good example of this I think, there have been a number of incidents but I still think it's relatively safe as an urban trail due to all the traffic.

To see something like this in P-town would be great, best of luck to you guys! B)

I've lived very close to the Moreletta almost all my life and also used to cycle there as a kid. (often on my way to school - IN GRADE2!).

I've been thinking of getting hold of Groenkloof to start something around there for quite a while. Awesome to hear that it is already happening. Like Weight Weenie said, give a shout if you need some helpers.

I reckon some aggro MTBers with pepper spray will help keep the place "clean".

p.s How do you post a kmz file?

I live right next to one of these sections of spruit, but as Fritz said; everything has been fenced off. There are so many sections that flow in the urban area and people hardly even know about it. This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while.

I’ve started looking at some options as I have access to the section of spruit that runs past my house. I’ve never done any riding there as it is only a +- 2km long stretch from fence to fence. It is blocked off by the road on both ends; on the one end Old Farm Road leading to Faerie Glen Nature Reserve and the other Koedoeberg Road leading up the Bronberg to a reservoir.

As below, from Google Earth you can see the “network” of the spruit, and from this distance you cannot even see all of the smaller “spruit corridors”.

post-7796-028020400 1286872544.jpg

A lot of riding to be done...

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/_b-unit_/MorelettaMTB.jpg

Route in red.

This can then be incorporated with the koppie on the east side of Gen. Louis Botha.