I left SA for What??????

rad006

In Edinburgh I also learned my lesson - never commute on a nice bike (stolen), never commute even with a nice seatpost or saddle (stolen), never use clipless Times on bike (stolen), never leave lights even a little red reflector on (stolen).

(I'm a slow learner)

Yup - spend no more than 60quid on a painted second hand fixie (all flat in towns in any way) and lock your weekend bike in your room!

Enjoy!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, if you left SA because you feared they were going to steal your bike, then you left it for a very obscure reason...

Anyway, I have had a few bikes liberated from me; one in the UK (near Newcastle - I know...), two in Bellville (I know) and one in Stellenbosch (they stole the whole bikerack in front of res!), so it happens everywhere, but the violence level varies. Haven't had one stolen yet in Holland, but if you want to see the world's meanest, heaviest, industrial strength cables (probably strong enough to pull merchant vessels), come to Amsterdam. Man, you have to bolt your old piece of crap to lamppost and hope they don't nick the lamppost!!!

Saying that though, my kids often leave their bikes outside overnight (locked though) and they have always been there in the morning, but we live in a 'nice' neighbourhood. I've warned the little critters though that if it gets nicked they are buying a new one out of their pocket money and then they'll have to WALK to school until the have new bikes! Yes, my kids ride their bikes to school (with no helmets...)

You only leave the country you consider home as a result of:

1) To pursue a career

2) Better prospects for the kids

3) To escape the memories of something really bad

I have been living away from SA for a longer part of my career than in SA, in certain respects life is difficult outside of SA (even in developed countries).

When it comes to developing countries no single country even comes close to SA.

In SA you would have been shot for your bike.......that is the differance.

yes, over here in SA they will wait till you come out and unlock your bike, then take it and maybe spare your life :)

but i'd still rather live here than amongst the lepricons

SA rocks..... just live by the rules as best you can, and the rest is just the roll of a dice!!!!

Very cool attitude, Bat-ass...

Laaik it! B)

Yes, but some of us love our children! :angry:

I do too, that's why I DON'T let them wear helmets. Being the only kids in the country to wear helmets to high-school would just make them targets for bullies who will point and laugh (and beat the crap out of them). Seriously, they get special cycling safety exams at school adminstered by the traffic department and nowhere do they require (or even advise) helmets!

I should putt a mock-angry face here like you did, but I can't be bovvered...

I should putt a mock-angry face here like you did, but I can't be bovvered...

Sadly no-one bit.

I did much better over on the disabled parking thread. B)

As I've said sometime before on The Hub, it's easier to earn ZAR 7 than USD 1, and it buys you more lifestyle. Sure, that lifestyle comes with hectic risks unique to SA and are often violent. The grass is always greener on the other side - because there's more poop over there.

As I've said sometime before on The Hub, it's easier to earn ZAR 7 than USD 1, and it buys you more lifestyle. Sure, that lifestyle comes with hectic risks unique to SA and are often violent. The grass is always greener on the other side - because there's more poop over there.

If only life was as simple as a funny one-liner...

The world is a big place and exploring it is not always a betrayal or a life decision. SA is fun, but lots of other places are too. Unfortunately most South Africans' experience of "overseas" is a year spent in a rathole somewhere in grotty London. Not really a great benchmark.

Such a big world to explore, so little time...

Hey Rad,

That used to happen to me frequently in the UK. Lost seats, wheels etsc. Sucks when you suddenly have to walk home 5kms in the snow.

That's why i'm back here despite all the problems. Solution is to take your seat and post with you.

If only life was as simple as a funny one-liner...

I see what you did there!

Such a big world to explore, so little time...

And there!

Fie you, with your calm rationality and sound explanation when people want to believe.

Now, where have I heard that before?

Sadly no-one bit.

I did much better over on the disabled parking thread. B)

Dude, they're hunting you down on the Parking thread. You better not say your kids are "special" so they need helmets... or else!!

I see what you did there!

And there!

Fie you, with your calm rationality and sound explanation when people want to believe.

Now, where have I heard that before?

NOTHING gets past you does it? (insert funny one-liner here)