Standard Bank thugs

MaxUmis

I took up cycling very late in life and I quickly learnt that, generally, the better the rider the more arrogant and self centred they are. Those Standard Bank riders were VERY good riders and the Mr Price riders from Durban are EXTREMELY good riders.

I just accept it and it does not worry me as I am bigger than 99% of these VERY GOOD riders and can give more than what I get!! :D

i am not taking sides here,but i loved this "IN GENERAL" reply about cyclists. :clap:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Passed us as well, had no problem with that, did however have a problem with the IDIOTS at the finish who blocked us off and shouted that we wheel sucked to the end, and now want to sprint......

do not know who you guys were 7 or 8 same club kit (orange).....

Next time observe where we came from, our group caught your group with 2 km to go, you acted like spoiled teens!! next time shut the hell up if you can not keep to the pace!!

Edited by swiss

And people wonder why I prefer my mountain bike!? :P

As a newbie on the road, I have to get used to the politics and etiquette of riding in bunches. No use in complaining about it.

Every sport has it's injuries... I didn't hear Schalk or Victor complain that they were tackled too hard after Saturday's rugby. ;)

From the Amashova thread.

..So you break the 3 hour mark. So what? I did it with really bad case of ITB and with only gym work as training, and a young laaitie did it with a prosthetic right leg(I was seriously impressed by him). A bunch of big names doing it in under 3 hours proves nothing other than you're content with spoiling the fun for others just so you can feel mucho.

Sounds like you should spend more time on the bike learning to ride in a bunch and less time in the Gym...The thing about most bunch riding is that everyone in the bunch thinks they are the best in that particular bunch although they don't spend much time doing any work at the front. When another faster bunch comes past as in the case in most races, everyone in the slower bunch still feel fresh - because they have done no work - and feel they deserve to be in the faster bunch... thus there will always be chaos (this is why it is called a race and what adds to the fun). If you are too nervous while the new equilibrium is established then let the faster riders pass. You must know every single rider in the slower bunch will be trying to attach to the faster bunch. Your best option might otherwise be to start with the last group of the day and have a "relaxed ride". Try enter the Argus one year and ride in a bunch or 200+, I guarantee you will lose your nerve within a few mins of starting the race.

I always thought bicycle racing was about who gets to the finish line first. Most of what passes for bicycle racing these days is glorified bunch time-trialing where "elapsed time" somehow defines your cycling prowess! And anyone who has properly raced bicycles knows that there are definite codes of behaviour - etiquettes - that are strictly adhered to or the peloton will sanction the transgressor. Considerate riding isn't just a matter of style - it's a matter of survival.

I always thought bicycle racing was about who gets to the finish line first. Most of what passes for bicycle racing these days is glorified bunch time-trialing where "elapsed time" somehow defines your cycling prowess! And anyone who has properly raced bicycles knows that there are definite codes of behaviour - etiquettes - that are strictly adhered to or the peloton will sanction the transgressor. Considerate riding isn't just a matter of style - it's a matter of survival.

Actually a very well put together statement. :thumbup:

If you put food on the table or you are expecting a call from Radioshack to join their team next year with your "bunch time trialing" ability, then yeah, perhaps one can forgive you the odd indiscretion, but for the rest of us plebs who are usually in the middle and there about, etiquette is all important, as it can often keep one from greeting the tar, and as at my age, as I dont heal that quick, its something I am keen to preserve.

The other day I was riding my mtb and a guy came past. He threw sand in my eye. Wheeeeee!!!! snif snif wheeeee!!!!!

But serious, by reading this thread, I can see I will not enjoy road racing. If the only thing to be enjoyed is your finish time (with thanks to many others pulling your bunch and the Standard Bank guys), it cannot be worth it.

Myself are a Absa mtb man. Today, tomorrow, together

Edited by KnobbyMech

by letting things go, we allow them to continue.

We let our fellow riders ride abreast, we don't reprimand them for skipping red robots or for riding like they own the roads.

Somehow we can justify riding dangerously and we're proud of putting our aspirations before the safety of others.

This thread reminds my that cyclists are their own worst enemy.

I'm off to enjoy the rest of my windy holiday by the sea.

By not letting go you poison yourself with hate and thereby poisoning your soul - at the end of the day, it's you who is going to suffer, not anybody else.....

From now on I'm only going to wear my Std Bank kit on Tuesdays at Killarney to keep unknown riders away from me :-) Actually it's been a long while since I wore it and I decided to wear it this week ... only reaction I got was a friendly ribbing from my CCC club mates.