Chain whip

Musashi

Slowly but surely I want to get myself the tools and know-how to service my own MTB. First up: changing the cassette.

The question I have is what is the difference between the Shimano Chain Whip - 3/32" (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23265) and the Shimano Chain Whip - 1.1/8"

(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23266) and which would I need for a Shimano SLX Cassette 10 Speed HG81?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make your own. If you can get a steel handle, old chain and a drill you are sorted.

Drill 3 holes into the steel handle. One at the end, one right next to it and one about 10cm from the end.

Connect a 10cm piece of chain to the hole at the end. (It will hang loose and wrap around the casette).

Connect a piece of chain between the second and 3rd hole. (to grop the casette)

I made my own and it works like a dream.

post-5309-018625700 1288076200.jpg

Edited by Justin

couple of old pieces of chain, random stuk steel plate left over from a security gate installation and a vice grip to add leverage (the piece of steel plate i had wasn't long enough!), hey presto, you've saved yourself a about 150 buckeroos! :clap:

btw i used a piece of old 8-speed chain and i have a 10 speed cassette, so just wrap it around the largest cog (just be careful near the spokes, though!) and druk. works fine.

Mine is the same as above. Just make sure to round and clean up all the sharp edges on your handle. Drill a hole in it to hang it in your workshop. A piece of 25mm flat bar works well.

While we talk about projects...... make your own bicycle work stand.

post-24-028588600 1288078947.jpg

To answer your actual question, the 3/32" is for road/mtb cassettes and the 1.1/8" is for track sprockets.

Edited by velo

you okes so so boring ... just buy one .. R150 ... and it looks pretty as well.

There is a certain proudness in making your own things. It also develops your own skills and shows your ability to thing laterally. Fortunately it is a gift with me to be like that. I do not find it boring in the least. my self manufactured chain whip is ways more beautifull than a store bought one..... and it has character.

Well you can also buy a car oil filter remover for about R30 from your hardware store that looks like a chain wip.

I just bought a set from my LBS instead - chain wip & cassette remover - for R210

@BigH: I love making my own stuff, great fun, but sometimes its not worth it for the effort (like chain wips; link removers; valve core removers - in 2 out of these 3 things it was cheaper to purchase than what it cost me to make). Then again, its always fun hauling out the dremel and moding some tools.

Mine is the same as above. Just make sure to round and clean up all the sharp edges on your handle. Drill a hole in it to hang it in your workshop. A piece of 25mm flat bar works well.

How do you secure the bike to the stand?

How do you secure the bike to the stand?

I work on my tandems on a stand like this and heve never needed to secure the bike to the stand for the more mundane tasks. A few times I used a ratchet strap used to attach lthingies on your roof carrier. Be carefull though as these straps can easilysquash a frame tube. In my sketch I show the PVC tube and also give the lagging sponge as an alternative. Lately I have used both. Just make sure they are clean and not full of grime that may skratch the frame. I ziptie them to the angle iron. You can also substitute it with a Geoff Bike Carrier clamp. The 500mm shown for the hrozontal part of the "gallows" can also be shorter. Just make sure you can rotate the pedals without catching on the vertical part. They are so cheap to make that I leave them behind when we move to the next site. I have also made one without the fet that I attach with "bloudraad" to a pipe or carport support. I fit a small plastic container (like tupper) to the horzontal part where I put screws and other bits that mauy get lost.

A

At least use round tubing and not square tubing ;) Make it a bit more professional looking :clap: