Think Car!

Robert Lofthouse

I think the time has come to start a "Think Car" campaign.

The Think Bike campaign was launched to (and I'm paraphrasing here) make motorists aware that motorbikes are around, and everything that you as a motorist do, should be done with consideration that there could be a motorbike near you - in a blind spot, etc, etc. The sentiment has in essence moved over to include cyclists now as well.

So, we're asking people in cars to make themselves extra aware of the fact that they share the road with people on Motorbikes and / or bicycles, and that disregarding this could result in an accident which could severely injure the person on the Motorbike/Bicycle.

Why then, is it not necessary for people on Motorbikes/Bicycles to be aware of the reverse - that they share the roads with 1.5 to 2 ton vehicles. In my opinion, the responsibility lies in both courts, however I'll even go as far as to say that it is more the responsibility of the Motorcyclist/Cyclist to ensure he/she does whatever they need to do to be safe on the roads that they share with the cars - it is, after all, their own lives on the line.

Why the rant? ... well, I've just gotten in from a short drive I needed to do at lunchtime, and witnessed a guy on a scooter (vespa-type, I think) cut from the right hand side of the right lane on a 3 lane road, through 3 lines of cars in an attempt to turn left at the next intersection. He wasn't able to complete his maneuver, because his back wheel was clipped just before he crossed the left lane. He went down in front of the car, and it was only because we were all slowing down for the traffic light that he wasn't rolled over like a piece of pizza dough. He got up, was quite ok (visibly shaken though), and his bike was still operational. He got on his bike and moved along (thankfully only once the light turned green). It could, however, have gone a lot worse.

This isn't the first time (and probably isn't the last) that I've seen a motorcyclist/cyclist take very unnecessary risks through traffic and be a hair's breadth away from having a fatal accident. We need to start being aware of the fact that we share the roads as cyclists. Someone I know works with a guy who was knocked off his bike the other day while out training in the morning. He tried to cut in front of an oncoming car and misjudged the speed of the car. We may be allowed to do various things on the roads according to the strict letter of the law, but being a person bike combination that weighs roughly 100kgs should indicate to you that the guy in the 2 ton car is not an adversary that you should be toying with.

So, to all you motorists out there ... please, "Think Bike" - you could save someone's life by being a little more aware. To all you Motorcyclists and Cyclists out there .... please, "Think Car" - you could save your own life by being just as aware.

I am a biker myself, Motorbikes and Bicycles, and many time when I ride I see things like what you just described and can’t help thinking to myself that "that is the reason why bikers have a bad name". I mean I have seen some guys do REALLY stupid things in traffic and then nearly getting hit by a car, and then have the nerve to curse the person driving the car.

As a biker one has to realise, as you stated above, that we all share the road and should have respect for one another. If you think you are going to challenge a car you are sadly mistaken.

Many drivers don't even "Think Car" .... I blame the *** radio stations.

must be the radio stations ;) na but seriously, being on the road with the bicycle, motorbike and car i know iv made some silly choices at times, and if everyone were a little more vigilent of eveyrone on the road alot less accidents would happen..

Many drivers don't even "Think Car" .... I blame the *** radio stations.

Many road users dont think :(

Agree.When ever I'm in joeys I'm amazed at the speeds the bikers ride at inbetween the cars, and the amount of cutting in and out. So ja the responsibilty is on both sides!

I am a biker myself, Motorbikes and Bicycles, and many time when I ride I see things like what you just described and can’t help thinking to myself that "that is the reason why bikers have a bad name". I mean I have seen some guys do REALLY stupid things in traffic and then nearly getting hit by a car, and then have the nerve to curse the person driving the car.

As a biker one has to realise, as you stated above, that we all share the road and should have respect for one another. If you think you are going to challenge a car you are sadly mistaken.

Absolutely! From a motorcyclists perspective, I think the influx of cheapie Chinese scooters has put a lot more people on the road who are lacking in 'street smarts'.

My wife and I were out for supper the other night and there was a scooter in front of me that was swerving all over the road, speeding up and slowing down - I thought he was drunk, until he went round a corner and I could see that he was texting on his cellphone while riding!!! Now there's a Darwin Award waiting to happen! :angry:

I still cannot understand why all (read some) of the peepols endorsing the "Think Bike" brand are breaking the rules of the road. As a rule in most cases.

I support it 100%, but for the life of me cannot understand their thinking.....

Weaving through the traffic is fine as long as they do it at a reasonable speed and safely. Changing lanes unexpectedly i.e. no indicator is not cool. As for the SOB's that whack your mirrors as they go past, if there isn't a gap don't try make one! :angry:

Weaving through the traffic is fine as long as they do it at a reasonable speed and safely. Changing lanes unexpectedly i.e. no indicator is not cool. As for the SOB's that whack your mirrors as they go past, if there isn't a gap don't try make one! :angry:

Yeah..... Weaving in and out is ok until he gets that *** taste in his mouth..... The last thing he will ever taste

Yep, and why do some idiots on motorbikes think that speeding and overtaking on solid lines is ok??? :angry:

Helped on the scene of an MVA with a motorcycle that caught fire after hitting a car coming out of a driveway. The motorist didnt see the biker he was coming so fast. He hit the car so fast his helmet went flying. Felt sorry for the motorist..sorry but no feelings for the biker.

Problem with our SA road drivers are we are naturally aggressive drivers, be in on cycle, bike, car, or truck. With this new aarto system so many people are going to loose their licenses and only realize it too late.

Here is a challange, just for one day try not to exceed the speed limit and you will see what i mean, people litterally pressure you to drive faster. Since 60 means 80, 80 means 100 and 120 means 160 in South African terms. Personally I am now going to stick to the speed limits theres no way my license gets revoked and I have to be forced to use our brilliant public transport system :) sorry to all you guys that are going to get stuck driving behind mr daisy.