a pound off the wheels = two off the bike?

Shebeen

Getting bored of the powerbalance debates, time for some real physics.

I love this whole thing about lightwieght wheels accelerating notably faster. Its really good marketing.

So i went cycling up a hill. timed it

came down, and swapped to my lighter wheelset and put the extra equivalent weight in my waterbottle.

My time on the lighter wheelset was eye dentical.

I know you reckon i might have been more tired the second time. but as a control i drank a double red bull before both attempts so i would be producing maximum possible effort.

post-1830-0-51043100-1291211239.jpg

if you want to go and see the hill I'm riding, click here:

Edited by SteveCT

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should make no difference where you take the weight off including yourself, coz everything has to accelerate or be kept in motion at the same rate.

Should make no difference where you take the weight off including yourself, coz everything has to accelerate or be kept in motion at the same rate.

would def agree :thumbup:

Bah!

Deleted my sarky comment 'cause I hadn't read your comment properly.

Edited by bikemonster

Getting bored of the powerbalance debates, time for some real physics.

I love this whole thing about lightwieght wheels accelerating notably faster. Its really good marketing.

So i went cycling up a hill. timed it

came down, and swapped to my lighter wheelset and put the extra equivalent weight in my waterbottle.

My time on the lighter wheelset was eye dentical.

I know you reckon i might have been more tired the second time. but as a control i drank a double red bull before both attempts so i would be producing maximum possible effort.

post-1830-0-51043100-1291211239.jpg

if you want to go and see the hill I'm riding, click here:

Sounds verrrrry scientific and your methodology seems sound... :unsure:

Cool stuff - however, a proper experimental set-up would include 20-30+ repetitions of each treatment - and done blindly if possible (probably not). Then you can do a standard t-test to determine if any significant difference between the the means of the two. A once off ride for each treatment won’t sell as science

I'd only be remotely interested in this, if video evidence could be displayed involving a test rider who was female, and naked (so as to discount any wind resistance issues pertaining to cycling attire).

I'd only be remotely interested in this, if video evidence could be displayed involving a test rider who was female, and naked (so as to discount any wind resistance issues pertaining to cycling attire).

This get my vote. Were do we make a donation for the funding. :clap: :clap:

Edited by DMD 1

I would like to see this test done again but instead of going up a fairly long hill, rather do say a 100m sprint from a low speed.

SteveCT said it himself in his initial post, the lighter wheels accelerate quicker. Once you are up to speed it shouldnt matter where the weight is on the bike, especially going up a hill where your speed should be relatively low.

As said before, the test would require many repetitions and be done "blind". In the cycling scene having good kit must have a huge positive psychological influence on outcomes, and as we are humans and not machines, this influence becomes significant.

I like the idea of a naked female tester - that would make it a lot more interesting1

Once you are up to speed it shouldnt matter where the weight is on the bike, especially going up a hill where your speed should be relatively low.

Just to toss a spanner in the works, if you are riding a rolling hill type profile with short elivation periods, would it not be better to have heavy wheels? - Imagine the flywheel effect with mercury filled tubes! :blink: