Broken collar bone question

chris_w_65

I found out today that I am not actually ready to ride my superbike. Quick ride to the shops and back = ouch. The speed bumps where really ouch :thumbdown:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not cool. Mind you, after only 2 1/2 weeks it's not really surprising.

I remember doing mine in (went off a 3m drop after being a little bit too clever and trying to change big ring with right hand on the mtb) and having to wait 4 before I was even semi-comfortable. This was without a plate, and I was 16 so very fast healing...

Not a lekker injury.

Dont try to do stuff too quick. The bones need to set correctly. If there is micromovement , you risk the area becoming microporous in the bone growth. This actually weakens the bones and can be a cause of implant failure. It also doesnt allow the surrounding tissue to build,which can result in bone loss.

Also remember Titanium is not biointegratable but biocompatible, so if you leave the implant in teh surrounding tissue never integrates completely onto the implant and you'll always have slight discomfort when the tissue slides over the implant.

I took loads of calcium magneium mineral salts to help heal the bone. Of course your body can only assimilate so much of the stuff and the rest goes to waste, but rather have that supplementation that not. And it's not an expensive supplememnt. You should be able to pick it up at any Diskem, or one of the larger supermarket chains which have a pharmacy instore.

Damn, 3 weeks since I crashed and I thought I would be back on the bike by now. Turns out I busted one or two of my top ribs so at least another 3 weeks :thumbdown:

Damn, 3 weeks since I crashed and I thought I would be back on the bike by now. Turns out I busted one or two of my top ribs so at least another 3 weeks :thumbdown:

I know a dude who did J2C with 4 rather damaged ribs.

For me any kind of break deserves plenty of rest and TLC, otherwise it will bite you later on! I have broken my hand, arm, leg(crutches, great things!), arm (did it twice, wot a tjop!) and gave them all the time and more to heal, thankfully I have no problems later on in life. Why rush it? Patience Grasshopper...!

I reckon I will be on the bike next week. I can even sneeze now without suffering. Maybe Tuesday I will try it out on the road for a test.

Be patient and let it heal properly just like the good old PhD recommenends. You fall with that before it heals and a screw or two rip out or crack somewhere else you just complicate things. Be patient. You will be back and fit in no time.

• 2 months later...

So Chris, how has your recovery been? I assume you are back to full strength by now?

Any fresh hints or tips to a new member of the collar bone club?

So Chris, how has your recovery been? I assume you are back to full strength by now?

Any fresh hints or tips to a new member of the collar bone club?

Oh no, did you bust it?

Collar bone was fixed quick, my problem was the busted ribs that only got diagnosed later on

If I broke my collar bone years ago and never had it properly fixed with the bone protruding under the skin, can that be possibly rectified, cause it gives me back & shoulder problems all the time.

Yup, popped the ol' collar bone on Sunday morning :thumbdown:

I thought there was nothing that they could do for cracked ribs anyway. How did those manage to slow your recovery?

post-3245-0-15039200-1300364861.jpg

post-3245-0-03035200-1300364878.jpg

Yup, popped the ol' collar bone on Sunday morning :thumbdown:

I thought there was nothing that they could do for cracked ribs anyway. How did those manage to slow your recovery?

Have you ever had cracked ribs? It is my 3rd time. Takes about 6 weeks to heal and there is nothing they can do to speed it up. If it wasn't for the ribs I would have been back on the bike within 2 weeks. BTW, it was the ribs right at the top, one in the front and one at the back

Having my plate out on Thursday. How long before you guys were riding again? Took the 6 weeks off after the fall and dont want to wait that long again?

Ek het nogal baie hard geval met verlede jaar se To-Hell-en-Back. (14 November 2010)

Het my sleutelbeen gebreek. % ribbes gebreek en my bladbeen vergruis. Die slegste van alles was toe my long plat geval het. Dit my ook die verste terug gesit.

Na 3 weke het ek weer begin spin op my indoor trainer en so stelselmatig weer begin fiks raak.

My eertse wedren eers einde Januarie 2011 gery en begin oefen vir die Argus.

Die Argus gedoen, met die plaat in my sleutelbeen, maar was maar skrikkerig om te val en het dus nie baie goed gedoen nie. My groep heeltemal vir my weggery en so ook 'n paar van die agterste groepe, maar ek het besluit ek gaan dit veilig speel en maar iefs nie val nie. Die plaat kom Vrydag (25 Maart uit). My ortopeet het gesê ek moet so 6 tot 9 maande wag dan behoort alles reg te wees. Ek mag fietsry, maar moet versigtig wees.

Redlike traumatiese tydperk, maar die liggaam is 'n wonderlike skepping en herstel gou genoeg en goed genoeg om weer aan te gaan.

Ek sou voorstel jy klim op jou trainer so gou as wat jy voel jy is reg. Sterkte!!